1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to encourage my 4 year old to be independent

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by SRK123, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

I would like to add that she was far behind in her language skills when she was 2 and there is rapid improvement after that, she is now 4 and she picked up almost like other kids.. she can be 5 - 10% behind the other kids, but the doctor feels its okay as long as she is progressing well...

2. pavithra17

pavithra17 New IL'ite

I just happened to read your post today and was finally relieved on reading your latest update.

God bless you and your child.

Please arrange to change the teacher, Confidence in children is a must and please make sure she feels secured at home and and in school

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

That is very good Kiran:)

4. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

All the best Raj...
    God bless your daughter..

5. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

If the teacher expresses her concern towards my child to me, then its very good. But 5 days back my daughter said these two sentences “ you have to tell your mom” and “I want to talk to your mom” when I was teaching her how to open and close her lunch bag. I wonder where these come from? If they are coming from the teacher, then its not a good sign… But now again she didn’t say anything after that… I decided to keep an eye on whats going on at school..what do you guys say? Am I thinking too much?

6. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hi kiran...

I am regularly following your post since few days and felt very happy for your daughter's improvement in every area..

when come to the latest update after consulting doctors and their personal diagnosis as every thing is absolutely fine with your kid...You have to think much in teacher's perspective and try to take to the notice of the management too...encouragement is key thing for kids if that lacks they will keep back in always which is not at all advisable..first talk to teacher and tell her updates from doctor and try to figure out the improvements in the kid and request her to encourange too if it continues better to change the school before it goes beyond...

take care
    sravani

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Kiran,
    It is very typical for teachers to tell kids they want to talk to their mom...sometimes it is to involve the kids and say, "oh, will you remind me?"

sometimes teachers say things to children to say "ok we will work on this in school and your parents can work on it at home." It can be a problem if she pointed things out in front of the other kids...but even that depends on how it is done. I have said things like, "we need to work on that my friend."

You would know more about the personality of the teacher to figure out her teaching style and her intent. Sometimes it takes kids (and parents) a while to gel with a teacher...and other times it never happens.

It is easy to pick out things which are glaringly obvious. On the other hand certain children have a few learning behaviors which are age appropriate but can go either way as they grow older. Most parents want to know...because the work which needs to be put in at a young age is less than what needs to be done later. I can tell you honestly that parents question the previous year's teacher and the administrator "why didnt anyone tell us before?" mostly it is because as a child grows older the expectations increase.

Ultimately you have to be comfortable with where your child is...otherwise your child will also sense the unease.

8. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Teacher and all my friends,

how are you?

you are right... may be i was thinking too much..and got carried away..
    my daughter's teacher is a very nice person. we respect her a lot.
    she knows what she does.

yeah, i should not judge her without knowing what happened. only we have to request her next time to discuss any issues in the child's absence as i personally think it could effect her self-confidence.

i couldnt post last week because me and my daughter had cold, fever, etc
    and feeling better now.

-Kiran.

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

No worries Kiran...it is absolutely all right to question and find your own answers...you have to be comfortable with whatever is going on...and it is good that you went to a pediatrician...your doubts have been set to rest:)

Glad to know that you're both recuperating.

10. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,

How are you all?

Just an update regarding my daughter, we had her evaluation by the school district, and it turned out that she is not qualified for the early intervention, that means she has no significant delay in any area, which is very relieving to us.

Meanwhile, Since the time we initiated the evaluation until the results, it took around 2 months, in this time, she showed great progress in terms of language and daydreaming also is almost gone,. After a lot of observation and discussion, we came to a conclusion that she somehow couldnt connect with the current preschool, and and the hence the behaviour,bcoz she is totally a different person otherwise. Now we are shifting her from the current preschool.

We are planning to put extra efforts to help her make friends and connect with the new preschool environment this time.

Again, Thanks for all the advice.

-Kiran