How To Eat Healthy In Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by pinky2cute, Nov 27, 2017.

1. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Hi...
    This is my first preg... 9weeks now. I stay in a hostel. I'm a doctor studying my masters living far from my husband and parents.

Though as a doctor I know what to eat and what not in pregnancy... being in a hostel with bad food loaded eith cheap oil and masalas along with hectic work schedules in hospitl is making me feel tired all day and hungry for long periods without food.

I am busy with studies, thesis and work with exams nearby.
    Please suggest foods that i can have in this period without much efforts. I cant spend tym in cooking in hostel with limitrd resources.

Current diet -

Morning
    7am :milk with horlicks
    8.30am : bfast - either of these - idli/dosa/poori/pongal/upma

Afternoon
    1.30pm- lunch -Rice+ sambar + pickle + curd + banana (veggies are horrible with masalas n deep fried here that too 4days a week it will be potato so i avoid veg curries totally)

Evening
    5pm - tea with snacks -either biscuits/ veg puff / bread / sweet corn

7.30pm -bowl of cut fruits -3 varieties of fruits

Night
    9pm - dinner - either chapathi with veg gravy or i cook rava upma or poha followed by buttermilk.

11pm - a glass of warm milk.

I still feel m less on veggies and have no greens in my menu.... but being in hostel dunno how to manage this.

Any suggestions?

2. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Dear .. please look at some alternatives i have written inline.. am sure you will be knowing more than me as a doctor.. just suggesting from whatever i know and in a friendly way :) since you say you stay at a hostel...
    here are the options when you feel hungry!
    Morning
    7am :milk with horlicks
    8.30am : bfast - either of these - idli/dosa/poori/pongal/upma
    --------try taking dry fruit ladoos in this gap---carry them in a box.
    Afternoon
    1.30pm- lunch -Rice+ sambar + pickle + curd + banana (veggies are horrible with masalas n deep fried here that too 4days a week it will be potato so i avoid veg curries totally)
    -----------try taking eggs boiled(in case you eat)/tawa fry paneer(since you said you can cook rava upma for dinner, i assume you have access to cooking)
    you can even bring palak etc boil as a soup add little salt n pepper and take along../boiled plain dal
    Evening
    5pm - tea with snacks -either biscuits/ veg puff / bread / sweet corn
    -----rice flakes soaked in milk...in this gap... think easily available
    7.30pm -bowl of cut fruits -3 varieties of fruits
    ------banana---
    Night
    9pm - dinner - either chapathi with veg gravy or i cook rava upma or poha followed by buttermilk.
    ----dates-few....
    11pm - a glass of warm milk.

sindmani likes this.
  3. pinky2cute

Hii amunique.... thanks for the additionl tips for inbetween gaps.... :)

I have an induction cooktop and a pan and a vessel as usually i used to cook maggie when the hostel food is too bad to even eat which happens quite a lot. But now since I'm pregnant... i dont want to rely more on maggie and instead eat healthy.

Rava upma is simple and hence i cook it... just rava water and tempering items (i buy small packs of tempering items n use).
    But making soups and all is tedious process....
    I have no access to stores nearby to go and buy greens or veggies....

4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

is your college and hostel in a remote place? If not, can you order certain fruits, veggies , groceries etc to your hostel room at a convenient time slot of your choice using online apps if unable to go to stores ( just check if it's possible) ..
    U can stock up on few healthy snacks which u can purchase online or from stores if shopping or ask any of your family member to get for u when they visit..as suggested above, dry fruit ladoo. Also keep lots of dry fruits and nuts and u can pack them as snack to have when hungry...
    Having boiled egg is also good option.
    Are u able to store milk and curd..if yes try to increase intake of these.
    Also try oats recipes, like oats Upma, oats dosa..u can use Tawa that's induction compatible..
    Semiya upma, sevai, Daliya Upma, for tiffin.
    Oats porridge, Daliya porridge, multigrain porridge with milk..
    There are many millets recipes that u can find online.
    If u get small electric cooker or induction compatible small pressure cooker like 1.5 lt capacity u can make so many rice recipes like khichadi, Pongal etc.
    Eat Fruit and vegetable salads.
    Soups also are not that tedious to make if u have a hand blender.
    Put few big pieces of carrot, beans, beetroot, tomato etc in cooker and keep for 2 whistles. After cooling just blend with handblender and add salt pepper and let it boil..mayb u can have once or twice a week if time permits.

5. pinky2cute

Hii needtobestrong,

I'm a pure vegetarian...not even touch egg.
    Also i dont have anything else in hostel than one induction cooktop and a pan and 2 vessels.
    My colg is in a remote area..its a small town with no proper supermarkets.

6. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    If you can get some items from supermarket and stock it for few weeks without cooking much you still can eat healthy(except spinach)

Snacks - dry fruits ( almonds walnuts dates ) etc
    Handful of Soaked raw peanuts or moong sprouts - this can be had with little dates or raw coconut/ dedicated coconuts
    black channa ( cooked) and seasoned
    Popped Raagi sprouted flour - mix with little ghee jaggery and milk makes delicious ladoos - generally 2tbsp per serving is good and can be had 3 times a week.
    Healthy porridge mixes are available these days which are easy to make
    My friend makes puttu - just sprinkle s water on store bought puttu powder( from a well known brand). Either it can be had with banana or with peanut/Black channa curry. Not sure what is feasible for you.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    pinky2cute likes this.
  7. pinky2cute

Hi thanks for all the suggestions... yes I'm eating dry fruits n fruits regulary.
    Totally avoided junk and deep fries.
    I'm not supposed to gain weight more than 4 or 5kgs max due to me being overweight already.

Just I'm lacking on the veggies n greens part from my diet. Dunno how to makeup for that.

8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, You dont have to eat so much for your baby. Your hostel food plan looks OK. Even though it is in a remote place you will get vegetable & fruits right? No need to add more carbohydrates. Add veggies in raw or as salad. (I am sure you can make it yourself) . Adding more vegetable and fruits will supplement you. In addition you are taking pre-natal and folic. I hope it will also help.

But try to supplement current one by eating multiple times. Recent studies shows that eating 6 times instead of 4 may help to reduce weight or prevent gaining more
    By ~11:00 am (snacks -fruits - banana or nuts or dates or salad)
    ~3:00 PM (snacks - nuts or dry fruits or what ever)

Other ILites also suggested many options to include peas or dal or oats etc in your diet. As you have one induction cook-top and a pan, you can cook any greens every day or once in a week if you can buy some spices . You can saute vegetables or greens or beans with salt or pepper or chilli flakes. It is fast and easy to do-- simple recipes are there in internet. It wont take much time.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    pinky2cute likes this.
  9. pinky2cute

@DDream its in remote place...veggies n fruits are not easily accessible have to travel 10kms to get it.
    I go once in 10days n buy fruits. Veggies i dont get tym to cook.... bt yeah will try to eat like raw salad.

10. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

U can make chapattis on induction stove using a tawa right..if ur hostel mess serves chapatis it's ok else u can make some healthy chapatis by adding greens like methi, Palak, or veggies like carrot, radish, potato etc in the dough itself..or use multigrain Atta of good brand..side dish u can have curd or make raita or just boil dal in small pressure cooker or electric rice cooker ,u can use mixture of toor, moong, masoor, chana dals etc.if tomatoes or other veggies are there u can boil them along with dal,turmeric powder, salt, little chilly powder and do tempering with little oil and jeera mustard, red chilly, hing etc. u can fry onion also while doing tadka, as onion can be stored for many days no need of refrigeration and you are unable to shop often.
    If there is no time for making chapatis just have that dal with rice Or brown rice or red rice or Dalia or millet or quinoa .
    Soak either rajma, channa , black eyed peas, peanut overnight in water and then do tadka for it with little oil, mustard, jeera, salt, chilly powder, hing, urad dal, chana dal etc. it's so tasty and nutritious, can be had as snack or side dish with chapatis.
    One more quick snack which can be packed : chapati roll with jam /Nutella /ketchup
    Or bread with jam/Nutella or bread sandwich with raw veggies like carrot cucumber tomato as filling with salt n pepper for taste etc. hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    pinky2cute likes this.