1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

How to Do? What To Do? - Answered by Sewing Expert

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by kajola, Dec 19, 2009.

1. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

Re: How to cut this type dress?

Vani mam, where art thou?
    Rajichechi, help!!!
    Shantha mam!!!
    luxiraj!!!!

2. luxiraj

luxiraj New IL'ite

It is umbrella or circle skirt. Bodice has yoke attached on the outside as you would attach a collar, attaching it the same way would let the yoke fold down in this case.

Regarding underskirt i am not able to interpret what you intend by panel skirt for underskirt. For puffy skirts like these Can-Can material with netted ruffles will do the trick. (See picture. hope it helps)

My suggestion based on personal experience is to make a Can-Can pettiskirt separately and keep and whenever ball gown or puffy type of effect is needed wear it underneath. I realised it after stitching can-can with lining for 2 ball gowns, then made one separately, now i use it underneath any gown whenever my daughter feels like getting puffy effect, or else let the gown drape just like a plain circle skirt.

Attached Files:

3. shruthipraveen

Thanku luxiraj for the prompt reply.

This is for an order(for a 1.5 yr old girl)-
    So this is UMBRELLA SKIRT itself? So do I cut 4 pieces(in bias folding) or pieces in bias folding? Because this skirt does not have as much frills as the normal umbrella skirt, na?
    I'm choosing a crepe floral material for this dress with plain crepe bands at the waist and hem.

4. shruthipraveen

URGENT HELP needed!

Regarding the Umbrella skirt- I'm not getting the full skirt in one metre cloth(bias)- So is it ok to have one small end of the skirt joint? It won't be noticed because of the heavy pleats, na?

5. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Re: URGENT HELP needed!

its perfectly fine to give a joint in one of the sides. In fact many skirts that I have seen have a joint.

6. shruthipraveen

Thanku sunitha!!! I've cut the skirt . Whew!

7. luxiraj

luxiraj New IL'ite

I make circle skirts (the recent blue ghaghra as example) for my daughter (3.5 years) by folding the cloth so that it has 8 layers and then mark using circle skirt formula. It comes in single piece without any seam. May be if the child is taller then you can make with a seam. Even with the seam it won't show much in circle skirt.

8. shruthipraveen

Thanku luxiraj. The thing is I had only 1 metre cloth with me. but this is a high waist umbrella skirt ( u saw the pic, na?)so it needed a lil more than I had assumed.

And how does the skirt come in 8 layers? u fold the cloth horizontally, then vertically, then keep the paper pattern of the skirt diagonally on the folded cloth, na? I get only 4 layers, this way.
    i

9. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Prepare paper draft.If cloth is not wide enough attach a separate piece matching the design and then cut the pattern.you cannot see the stitched portion if thre design is matched properly.

10. lollipop

lollipop Bronze IL'ite

:thumbsupHey that will be perfectly alright ! Actually many umberalla skirts available have such pleats at the sides . Don't worry and be cool while wearing it and don't be conscious about it .