How To Deal...

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by NoTakeMyCamelYr, Dec 24, 2016.

1. NoTakeMyCamelYr

NoTakeMyCamelYr New IL'ite

Hello, I'm new here, but I have no one to ask this ... how do you guys deal with prejudice, discrimination, racism, etc. Because I'm a young person, but I get a lot of dirty looks, rude gestures, rude remarks, and fake smiles. But I never get this problem going to religious place. I'm respectful, quiet, I always smile, but I can see the wheels turning in people's heads... people think I just landed from the village yesterday... honestly, I feel really alone and bad. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I follow my religion and I respect other religion, I don't judge people, but I'm constantly being judged by outsiders. They don't know I grew up in western country but I stay in our town (heavily religious and 95% desi) so everyone is same .. same religion culture lifestyle even we have people using our home nations currency to buy stuff... but when I left I don't feel good here.. our childs school staff are extremely rude to us, (they even gave us deoderant (like t*? I make fresh sabzi and rotis everyday i didnt know it was a crimehow do you guys deal with prejudice and things like that outside of your community? What I want to do is yell in their face and unravel all their washroom/bathroom tissue (try and reroll it c how hard it is) ...but I'm not that brave...

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Where are you living now?which state?

3. NoTakeMyCamelYr

@anika987 actually I'm not in India at the moment... and I'm not in USA / canada I'm currently in London but this seems to happen everywhere I go

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

When in Rome be like a roman..
    How are you dressing?is it too religious?

Also,when we use masalas in our diet,we forget the fragrance affects our clothes due to promixity.So we need to keep our clothes locked..air out the room before wearing our clothes else smell of Masala will affect.

Third,maybe consider this..we may think we don't smell. Many people are sensitive to body odor and maybe due to our dietary changes or check the previous para for clothes and smell.Also do you live in closed quarters?so always take a good shower maybe even twice a day,wear good deodorant and perfume.not insinuating you smell but just consider and self introspect.

5. NoTakeMyCamelYr

@anika987 thanks so much 4 reply again actually I wear salwar , but I always cover my hair ❤ I have one western outfit of sweatpants and a big sweater but it's not good for going out... the closet doors are rolling so we can't really lock anything. However I wash always twice a day in am and before husband gets home, we always use deodorant and perfumes and stuff when we are going out.. but it doesn't really stop some of the harassment we get too... I know a lot of us wear western clothes but I tried several times but it's just not good fit for me it's uncomfortable too tight too short doesn't cover anything during prayers if I'm out all day I'd have to change 5 times... I try to cook western foods more often but it comes out really bad if we moved home as I requested , no problem but I have no choice but to obey the rules I just want to go outside without problems from others ... I'm sure others ignore it, but some people just try to get in our faces about it

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Try the above said..and there are western clothes for everyone in every size.try it

Also try what I said for fragrance.just in case take bath twice a day and keep your clothes locked from food smell

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  7. NoTakeMyCamelYr

@anika987 thanks so much again I guess these problems are extremely rare

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well I don't know if it is rare,but the word is more judgemental than racism.Well dressed,confident people are more or less respected everywhere and so we always have to make sure we look our best everyday.true we all want to be ourselves but in the words of Shakespeare"The world is a stage and we are all actors"..so sometimes we need to be what we are not, in order to be accepted.

sbehl likes this.
  9. NoTakeMyCamelYr

@anika987 thanks yes we just don't want to be spat on at the market, or strangers yelling at our children, or the neighbors trying to scare are our baby, or the schools calling the government on us, or being denied resources, or denied salary from my husbands work, and we want all the silly complaints about the rain (too much rain was supposedly our fault) to stop, and so many others... guess I'm going clothes shopping tomorrow

10. NatLuv

NatLuv Senior IL'ite

I understand how you feel. You have stated that where you grew up, you had 95% people very similar to you in terms of religion, culture etc. Is it possible that your uncomfortable feeling stems from the fact that now you are in an unfamiliar surrounding?
    Have people shouted at you or your kids? Or is it like they are giving stares. No one has right to shout if you did not do any mistake. but if it is people staring, I guess you just have to ignore them.

sbehl and anika987 like this.