1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with UNDER-SUPPLY

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, Jan 24, 2010.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

gals its truly upsetting that i am still not able to "train" my breasts to get letdown with the pump :(
    also with every periods milk supply is decreasing, thats wat i feel.. is this normal?

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

I wud say, give it some time, try pumping after a week's gap, if that doesnt work, then forget about pump for 2weeks, then try again. But never give up. Yess, supply reduces by 5-10% everytime periods are there, but once you get a hang of pumping, it really helps in maintaining supply!

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,

I can tell you all something since am pumping since Nov 09..
    What I have noticed is-
    1. When you stop pumping your supply will go down day by day
    2. Pump in the same time(even I couldnt follow this but since Monday I will be on correct timings)
    3. Daily 1-2 times bf ing is mandatory so that body will produce more milk
    4. More water/fluids
    5. No tension(I noticed this.. I have loads of work at home and supply reduced).. But I tried not to take tension & milk is increasing
    6. When you are pumping ask someone to bottle feed baby.. Your feeding time & pumping time should be same or should be in regular intervals.. Am insisting to be on same time(need a helper to bottle feed baby) and you caN pump coz pumping every 3hrs and feeding LO every 3hrs is a big head ache which I was going thru sometime back..

eg - baby feed time ->3/6/9/12(am & pm)
    then make sure you get someone to feed baby and you can pump..

otherwise you will end up feeding baby 3/6/9/12 & pumping 2/5/8 etc etc and its a horrible day for you.. (you cannot take rest at all then coz 3pm feeding will go until 3.30pm and burping will go till 4pm and in an hr your pumping time will stop by.. I would say this is a bad routine/idea). Always pump and feed at the same time with your mom/MIL around.. Night time you can skip pumping and bf LO also.. Thats a nice way!!!

This is from my own exp and other ladies can share their own exp.. But am a live ex for above :)

HAPPY PUMPING & FEEDING TO ALL :thumbsup
    Hugs to all LO's:cheers

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  4. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Anitha, You have put the schedule so very well. My case is a classic eg of feeding and then pumping and since this got too tedious, I skip the pumping session most of the time as I had to feed the baby every 2hrs. Now, baby has grown a little bit and I have started to pump every 3 hrs since yesterday. Hopefully, I can get into a good schedule.

One change I see from what you do is you pump and then feed. I feed baby and then pump. Will let you know how my shedule works out.

Thanks for putting this together.
    Shyl.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

since you are in TN
    you can get
    arugampil
    ..dhurva grass

fresh ones
    one bunch
    cut to pieces
    run in mixie
    with one tumbler water
    drink first thing in the morning

drink plenty of water
    and avoid stimulants
    like coffee tea etc
    milk is ok

sathya

6. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,

I get up around 6am and start pumping around 6.30am-7am and then at work I pump around 12.20pm-1pm and then after returning home around 6.30pm and when I go to bed around 10pm I pump..

When no milk dad & mom will give R formula milk.. this is my current schedule..

7. shobanal

shobanal Junior IL'ite

shall we eat lactare throughout the nursing period? Cos, I feel milk supply is going down when stopped