1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with UNDER-SUPPLY

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, Jan 24, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey all ........... DD finishes nursing in less than 5 min these days. And she is veyr very distracted. Probably this is the reason My supply is also unpredictable.
    Since DD was vaccinated yesterday and has fever, I am only BFg her and not pumping. Will try again from tomorrow and see if supply as regulated.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

True, Ramya. It does become unpredictable when the baby's nursing is distracted. That's exactly why I did breast compressions regularly when the first let down is over. To keep the flow fast to get DS to be interested in nursing. Also with breast compressions, you are emptying your breasts regularly even if your child is not actively suckling.
    Pranavi, you got 8 oz the whole day and now you get 2 oz the whole day? Did I understand that correctly? Have you been evaluated for hormonal issues before this?
    I do agree with Sudha, you need to be pumping at least times 8 at this stage. If you live near an health food shop and can get brewer's yeast and can bake at home - here is a recipe a lot of pumping moms told me worked for them. Lactation cookies. Good luck.

3. pranavi

pranavi New IL'ite

thanq tikka and mridusudha for your replies.

yes tikka the whole day .now am able to make only 2 to 3 ounces in a day.
    hormonal issues u mean- before pregnancy i was diagnosed with pcos ,and my gync gave me metformin and she said since i have harmonal imbalance my periods got irregular,when i was in india my periods were regular as soon as i came to usa and after consulting my ob-gyn i came to know that becoz of hormones they became irregular.

so is if because of the above said reason am unable to have full supply.

@mridu

i have gone thru this thread and even other threads in il related to milk supply.
    what i want to know is? is 12 weeks too late to increase milk supply if from tommorow if i pump 8 times in a day is there a hope to see results.
    am just too worried that it should be too late for me to try to increase my supply

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Yes, Pranavi, that's what I meant. Breastfeeding is a greater challenge for women with PCOS or thyroid related issues. It can be done, but admittedly it's not that easy. So don't be hard on yourself.
    Here are some links on breastfeeding with PCOS
    Breastfeeding and PCOS - Living and Breastfeeding With Low Milk Supply - Overcoming Difficulties Articles - Breastfeed.com
    kellymom.com :: Breastfeeding and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
    Pranavi, the usual measures to increase milk may not work as well for you. I feel I am not qualified or know enough about this condition other than reading in passing. If you are working with an LC, she would be in a position to tell me what more need to be done. I am sorry, I did not read where you live: there are medicines like domperidone that your LC may prescribe... this is how domperidone works in increasing your breastmilk... with cautionary note towards the end. A discussion with the LC about it may be warranted.
    Pranavi, I see how anxious you are to get your child on your breast. Hugs. It is alright to supplement when there is a need for it. You are her mom in every way, work to get her as much BM as possible, you are already providing her with what she needs.

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Pranavi,

I agree with Tikka..
    Since you have hormonal/PCOS issues it's better you consult a lactation consultant and talk with her regarding increading your supply..

YOu can call the hospital you delivered to find out which lactation consultant is covered in your insurance or somtimes even pediatricians office have lactation consultants..(My ped has it)..

So please take expert advice regarding supply issue

Good luck..Hope things work out for you..

6. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Just wanted to give a quick update about my LO and my pumping schedule. My LO is now a 6 pounder. Our ped was very pleased wit his weight gain. I have not yet regulated my pumping schedule to every 2 hr. Am planning to start today although I do put my LO to latch every 2 hr or so.

One thing I definately would like to mention is for every pumping session I am able to express only an ounce. Hope I can increase my supply by increasing the frequency. My LO is demanding more so I had to raise the formula to 8ounces a day now. Need to catch up before formula overtakes my BF.

Thank you gals for your advice and support. Hopefully in my next update I can mention that my supply has increased.

Thanks
    Shyl

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Shyl,
    That's great that your LO is gaining weight...Kudos to your efforts...

Hope you get back to pumping more often..

Good luck!

8. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Mommies,

I am not sure whether i have under-supply. Yesterday evening i pumped 3.5 Oz from one B and when i try to do the same today, i didnt even get 1 oz...wld it be because of the breast pump? I have sterilized it in the same way as before, but tried inserting the pump top into my avent bottle, since it didnt fit i moved back to the original bottle.
    Please help.

9. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,

I have started formula today and R is okay with that.. I think when he is hungry he doesnt matter whether that is powder/BF which is good in one way but I tasted formula and its not that sweeter than our milk.. Let me see if R does the same or not..

Am not going to increase formula feeding all of sudden.. Just gave for one feed and tomo for 1-2 feeds and all 6feeds my BF.. this is my plan as of now..

More later

Shyl - good luck

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Padmini, did you pump the same time of the day? Also, did you pump today after feeding. Your supply will not be the same throughout the day - more likely to have greater output in the mornings and becomes less as the day goes by. It is difficult to gauge undersupply only on the basis of pumping output when you are pumping AND bfing.