1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with UNDER-SUPPLY

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, Jan 24, 2010.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Shyl - Rithik is 2mon old and I was getting loads & loads of milk soon after he was born but now its kinda reducing.. I asked ped and she asked me to
    1. Increase fluid intake
    2. Soak feenugreek and drink that water
    Am also planning to do this.. Right now, R taking 85-90ml milk and am getting that milk every 4hrs.. But due to heavy overload for me I couldnt pump every 4hrs..
    Ped asked me not to worry and asked me to add rice cereal to avoid spilt ups also

2. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Pon/Tikka/Sudha & All -
    Please don't hit me for writing this. My supply has increased, but it is veyr unpredictable now. Like .... 3 days back I was struggling to get 1 oz and yesterday, I pumped 6oz in less than 10 min. What do I do? The frequency of feeding/pumping etc, nothinig has changed :drowning

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Hey Ramya,

Good job :thumbsup

No I won't hit you :rotfl

May be you are more relaxed now? Or may be the positioning of the horns changed little bit or may be your supply DID actually go up..It takes only 3-4 days for the supply to go up (normally)...

Whatever it is you are able to pump more..So keep it going...

Yayyyy...I am so happy for you..Good job once again :thumbsup

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

geez ramya, this happens to me as well.. the entire month there are these ups and downs... can u believe i was engorged for 2 days? severely engorged, and today Bs feel empty lol.... i believe this has started to happen since my periods hv become regular... it really sux, coz the days i hv my periods my nursing bra looks baggy on me too LOL
    lets just try and feed LOs as long as we can...
    also i hv noticed that zoey is done feeding in 5-7 mins these days... only exceptions are the night feeds where she goes around 20 mins! but then she does pee well... so i am sure she is doing well ..... its kinda tricky and confusing to me too lol

5. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hey Dears,

R is 2mon old and am lucky no periods yet.. But still my milk is droping down.. Why this early? Am I doing something wrong? I think am drinking enuf fluids.. Though am awake during night and sleeping during day am taking enuf water.. Feels so sick about this.. Also, taking feenugreek water since a day.. R is gaining very well and worried if I dont giv my milk will he lose wt.. :spin

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  6. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Hmm... even I am facing this. Few days back Laya couldnt drink milk because of oversupply and yesterday my Bs were kind of empty. And exactly like Zoey, Laya also finishes in 5 mins or so. Two times a day or so she drinks for 20 mins. The night feeds are quite short, I guess she feedig only to satisfy her thrist during night.

I am afraid to drink fenugreek as I got blocked duct last time I had it which turned to mastitis. I am not sure if fenugreek was the culprit but the memories are quite strong :)

By the way no periods here yet!!!!

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

anitha, i guess in your case, its too early for supply to drop, so i think its just being regulated...kellymom.com :: My breasts feel empty! Has my milk supply decreased? read this.... earlier you were making milk more than ur LO needed, now your body knows how much is really needed... so regulating it thats all

rekha.... i dont know why but with every periods i feel my milk supply is dropping down... however her number of wet diapers is keeping me sane, i guess we shouldnt be concerned as long as they are peeing well and gaining weight, i think we shouldnt be worrying... but i know it feels so weird when breasts feel empty... lol... i mean i dont feel like a cow anymore :)))))

btw i am guessing by now they are just become pro at feeding, coz sometimes i try to relatch her for longer... and that ends up into a spitup yikes... so i stopped doing that .. now that i understand thats how much she really needs...
    btw what a transition rekha... from 30 mins in those crazy days to 5 mins these days eh?

8. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Anitha, even I felt my B very light, after his 1.5months. I guess thats when the supply gets regulated. Since you are pumping dont worry, you dont have the issues like - distractible LO, baby isnt nursing properly, et all... Be happy:thumbsup

Poonam, Rekha, Yesss if my DS feeds for 5mins, wowwwwwwwww to me. These days, he nurses really fast, done in 3-4mins, someeeetttimmmmeesss 5mins. Yess nights, he nurses well, probably to tank up! They are super smart!

Adding, Ramya, 6oz.... :)))))))))))))) You really had a great L-E-T---D-O-W-N!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  9. pranavi

pranavi New IL'ite

my son is 3 months old and from the starting i had low milk supply, i was producing 8 oz in whole day.he had latching issues so i had to rely on medela pump is style.

now am producing only 2 oz ,
    am pumping 3 times a day .
    can i still have hope to increase my supply?
    am taking fenugreek tablets.

am giving him good start formula,and his poop is green in color and smells bad,my ped told me that it is common in formula babies,i feel so bad that am not producing enuf am desperate to increase the supply .

please help me with some suggestions

10. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Pranavi,

You need to pump more often to increase your supply...3 times a day is not enough..You need to pump every 2-3 hrs initially to increase your supply..That makes atleast 6-8 times of pumping..

Also, please go through this thread once again...All the tips to deal with under-supply have already been mentioned..

Hope you find results soon..