1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Deal With Negative Parents

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by amnilakshmi, Jan 12, 2017.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Being the only daughter, i find my parents very negative. They keep talking bad and have more negative energy. Cant avoid nor can i live with it. Please advice.

2. liya1984

liya1984 Bronze IL'ite

Don't live with them... You cannot change them so if they are affecting your mental peace avoid them....If next time you feel suffocated, change the topic or get out of the room...

3. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

How old are you? are you a student and not able to take their fights and arguments which is disturbing your studies? or are you a job holder living with them? how do you explain if you say if they are negative? how is it effecting you? if you are elaborate, people may help you.

anika987 likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Your post is blunt.Can you elaborate?

sbonigala likes this.
  5. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Negative means negative in all means. Say i share some good stuff .. for example i bought a new dress - they say its costly why are you wasting money. The color is not good. you shouldnt have bought this...your taste is not good and so on :-|
    :flushed:

6. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

But..may be...they are trying to teach you life's important lessons. They are after all ur parents...not ur enemies. If they are too harsh, you may politely request them to be bit soft on you.
    Never think of leaving your best wellwishers...i.e. Your parents. The world out there is very mean n selfish.
    But...still..to get a clearer picture, kindly provide more of such examples.

anika987 likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Aminalakshmi
    As we grow we also evolve. We develop tastes, opinions of our own and at The parents don't realise the kids are adults and can have opinions preferences of their own. They butt in with thier views and opinions with the best interests of the child, sometimes ends up harsh hurting the child's feelings.

Maybe you need to sit with them and talk about what you feel and how their views and tone hurts you.

And their frustrations and fear of their only daughter's future could lace their tone creating a negative feel in your perception.

Maybe you also need to talk to them and spend time with them and give them the confidence that you are a strong confident woman.

A little bit of calm communication may help.

sindmani and dc24 like this.