1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with my stupid husband

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Flyingsparks, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Silver IL'ite

I am getting tired of my dh's nasty behavior...3 days ago...while having dinner i finished it early & was doing something in the kitchen & also loitering in the living area..inquiring whether dh want anything to be served ..he was sitting on the sofa in front of tv..

once he finished food & denied any more servings when asked for..i left from that location ..that's when he called me back & said " take this plate of mine & put it in the sink "....in a very rude,chauvinistic way...

i got annoyed but didn't reply or say anything..i simply walked away from there ..i went to restroom..he finally got up from sofa, put the plate in sink & washed his hands..he could as well done that without telling me to take the plate..

in the past i did take his plate..sometimes out of obligation,many many timesout of persuasion from Mil,sometimes to show respect to dh,sometimes out of love & duty coz i have no option left..(whatever..), many times or rather usually..he takes his plate ,i ignore to take it or most of the times i eat late, so dh has no option left..

When i was out of the restroom..he started yelling "why didn't you take my plate?? Are you not 'The wife?'..isn't a wife supposed to do this?is it not ur duty ??

i calmly said..what is this new thing suddenly ??, anyways i had to go to restroom " He said above things again..& started yelling like anything..he was very nasty & rude..

he said " i am your husband.i am feeding you,i am spending money on you.you have to keep your mouth shut.be like a worm in my house or leave.you are not earning.this is my house.only my rules will be followed..blah blah blah..

when i retaliated saying' oh, common stop it..don't make an issue out of it,.. " he didn't stop.he kept saying" is this wat your mom taught.is this the way ur mom behaves etc etc..i know he was provoking me deliberately....when i didn't reply anymore, he said" u don't have to stay in my house.who is paying for all ur expenses, food, etc..if you have to stay here you have to listen to me..if not get out from here..

in the past also he said these so many times..i kept quiet..now it is getting to extremes..i lost patience..

i didn't stop..i had to reply..i was fully charged & enraged by then.." I said..i too don't want to live with you anymore..nobody will behave like this...not even ppl like in my dad's generation .you better grow up "
    he replied" then don't stay..who asked you to stay?? Your dad might have been like this to ur mom..that's why he is not taking you away from here & ignoring you when he knows that you are suffering..He know how it works..that's why your dad doesn't care about you " ..

that's it I thought.. I had to stop him..i took to yelling back..i said " does your dad behave like this..where did u learn this from, is it from him? (He came to hit me but didn't) i don't care to stay with you anymore "

he called me that i am a devil..he called me names..i too said" yes i am a devil & so are you..that's why we both got married'..

seriously speaking..had i been the old naive girl...i would be constantly weeping by now & wouldn't retaliate...he always took advantage of that..now i am not that girl anymore...

In the first place...i don't mind doing any chore.it's my duty(as wat is taught, instilled,ingrained in my head coz of 'the indian culture)..i wouldn't mind doing it if had it been just a request..or even order..if it was minimally polite..but he was soooo mean & rude..

This situation could have been avoided if both of us identified our dignity, moral duty & some sense of responsibility..(i am thinking so).. Or if anyone would have been obviously patient enough..or dust off the thing humorously..(unfortunately i am v v v v bad at spontaneous humor)

anyways
    things went pretty bad..he forced me to call my parents..so that he can complain to them & tell them to take me away..he didn't expect i would call..BUT

i did call my parents..i explained everything to them..without knowing to me he also called my parents & told my dad.." She is not able to adjust here with me..u better take her away " in a very polite way as if nothing has happened, like a quintessential sil..my dad din't know the whole story by then..i too told my parents that i can't stay here like this..

he is like this always..constantly threatening me that he will divorce me.i don't have to stay here coz iam not earning... Blah blah blah..

i want someway to tackle him correctly & politically..that is the only way to stop him...i am fed up of him..

because of this fight..now we are in two different rooms..not talking to each other..just doing our own work..

talking to his parents is mere waste...they are nastier than him...it is from them he got all these traits..

i don't know what to do or what is going to happen..

since couple of days i started studying for my exam..now all this nonsense..

what should i reply to dh when he says " i am feeding you.i am paying for you etc etc"

i know financial independence gives so much strength..i am working towards it..it takes a lot of time..

but tell me " are all women who are independent happy & content? Aren't they going through such problems??

in my view it's not the freedom of money or independence..it is fate.it is human nature..

i want to learn to tackle him smartly without causing any more problems at least till i get settled..this D thing is haunting me like anything..it's not that simple to go forward with D.

Please suggest me something..

2. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Probably this is bothering him. If you pass the exam, you are no longer under his thumb.

6 people like this.
  3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You are his wife, not his servant. You have to be clear that you do not tolerate that kind of behavior from him. If you are not working right now you will do a bigger share of household chores. But that does not mean that you will serve him food, take his dishes etc when he is at home. Do not involve outsiders like the parents in your fights.

Focus on your exams and work toward financial independency.

1 person likes this.
  4. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Let few days go without any communication. Time heals lots of unpleasant days. Hopefully by then both of you would have had some ME time. Take up what bothered you most then. Ask him then if he prefers you to work or not work. Study or not study. Be a house mat or a his partner in life. If things don't do smooth even then, repeat some ME time. You will find your own solution. Please never involve parents or siblings. My two cents with limited info. Hoping that except for this subject everything else is fine in between you.

5. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

The guy is being a huge JA.
    i say stay calm,lie low, study well for your exams and be financially independent ASAP.

All the women that are financially independent and married to guys like this are not happy and content, but at least they can go out and shop shop shop no????

2 people like this.
  6. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

Dear OP, Financial independence does not guarantee marital happiness. I have seen plenty of happy housewives...But I do believe that financial independence gives a sense of confidence and self-worth..A husband who tends to take the "my house-i am the boss" approach, may tone down when they find that his wife has the ability to fend for herself..that she is not the helpless creature who can be threatened by divorce..
    If you are studying now please focus on your exams...Maybe this is just a passing phase and things will work out fine...But having a job and earning will create oodles of confidence in you...the sense of ' i have something to fall back upon' itself gives a lot of mental strength..In my view every woman should ideally have that source of reassurance in today's world...Good luck to you...Do not involve in verbal confrontations with your H...It just takes away positive energy which you will need to focus on your studies...When an argument starts try to end it as fast as possible saying 'Yes you are right.I am wrong.You can never be wrong' and try to maintain normal conversation as much as possible...This may shut him up and meanwhile you can focus on your studies..
    Best of luck for your exams...

5 people like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If DH is sitting on the sofa in front of tv, don't ask if he wants anything to be served. Don't even yourself check if he needs something or is done and plate needs to be put in the sink.

3 people like this.
  8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You are in USA so learn these two phrases:

1. Who died and made you king?

2. Lincoln freed the slaves.

My two cents: a guy who can only respect you if you have cash in your wallet is not worth keeping.

18 people like this.
  9. DreamWorld

DreamWorld Silver IL'ite

If your DH says that he spending on you, you are not earning all these things related to money,earning etc, just tell him that you are ready to do job and tell him to find you one and then both of you will have equal rights, and once you shout on him, is he ready to take that?

What he is doing not right. He has to understand that. Surviving dominance in relationships is very tough and requires lot of patience.

Just focus on your exams and give silence treatment for a while.

10. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Silver IL'ite

hi crayoness...i told the same thing what you said..that i do not tolerate this kind of behavior..in fact i din't even answer back..i just walked away from there ..coz i know this situation will rise up when i say like that..wanted he was pestering & provoking me...till i fall for his crap...i try so much to avoid his nonsense..but he drags me into it..
    now this is the scenario..

i didn't call my parents..he coerced me to call them..i did call them in front of him..but talked casually.. I didn't mention anything to them..he later called to them without my knowledge..

as of today since the fight..i am not talking to him..i mean i am talking just about reg things..like do u want food..i am going out etc..

of course he initiated the talk..by complaining about his colleague..later asked me to accompany him to groceries..i am just being quiet..i also denied going out ..i don't want to talk to him & fall for his argumentative traps...

i am in great confusion..about what to do..how to react to such stupid chatter,how to not fall for his nasty behavior & not get trapped...

i mean it's like i am walking on egg shells all the time..