1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to deal with in laws.......

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cpriyanka, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cpriyanka

cpriyanka New IL'ite

Hi friends..

I got married few months ago..ours is a love marriage and we were in a realtionship for nearly 5 years..we got married in kind of hurry as my husband's granny wasn't keeping well..hence i ended up getting married before completing my education..
    My in laws are supportive for my career and so they are ok with me staying at my parents place during examination period..
    I am kind of cleanliness freak..it is just that i need things to be organised and not messy..but my mother-in-law doesn't keep house clean which annoys me and so i don't like staying at their place..as i keep on avoiding going at in laws place..i end up having fight with my husband..

I don't really know how to handle this situation..how to tell them the problem i am facing..

2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

What's the problem here?
    Your in-laws are supportive about career & they are okay with staying at your parent's house. That's great. Finish your exam tension free.

I think when you are married that's your house too. Why don't you do complete cleaning of the house & make things clean. Frankly no one likes a unclean house, they don't find time to clean. When it comes to priority , cleanliess comes later than cooking food or washing clothes. Show her how can the house be kept neat,offload some responsibility from her & i think it will work out. You may not succeed immediately, but eventually you will.

I think any husband will get annoyed if his wife stay's at parent's house for some reason or other. I think problem & solution lies with you.

1 person likes this.
  3. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi cpriyanka,
    Better get used to it. Its the same with me too. Some people are just like that..She even mentioned to me that a house must look like it is lived in and not like a spic and span house where one will feel guilty to sit down and crumple the sheets...can u imagine that.

Initially I used to go around and clean up, but my MIL used to pass snide/hurtful remarks and I used to end up getting depressed as I am not able to say anything back even though I know she is passing wrong comments. Nowadays, I dont bother to clean up when she is around me...I take it up when she is not around and keep myself busy with other work when she is around :D

.I used to get compliments from everyone regarding my spic n span house..as all my free time I used to end up cleaning and not chitchatting about neighbors...Now if anybody comes into our house, its a total mess..I usually avoid getting anyone at home now. Its a price I pay to keep peacefullness at home.

1 person likes this.
  4. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear..learn to ignore! That's wat I will tell you after being married for an year and having a nagging MIL! My MIL is although nice, but she is a nagging lady which I can't help. She has her own ideas on how house should be..I am also particular abt things being organized and neat, whereas she will clean things (washing curtains, dusting etc.) but keep them disorganized and she will give me lectures on how to maintain cleanliness in the house (and she is the one who walks on bedroom carpet in outside slippers!!)
    I do what I can and ignore rest all stuff..as u said they are supportive of ur career so do wat u can and rest all u learn to ignore..and don't fight with ur hubby!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Hi Priyanka

You are lucky that your in laws & dh are supporting for your studies. You should focus & complete your studies at your parents place without any stress. Donot fight with mil for cleanliness or anything. After you finish your studies get job for yourself and save money for new home. You can keep your own room clean the way want. If you work full time you will be at home only minimum time and you will have your own saving too. So be careful in these initial marriage days, bond nicely as much as you can.