1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Deal Tough Husband

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by rathia, Dec 8, 2016.

1. rathia

rathia Bronze IL'ite

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and I want to share my married life and the problem I am going through. Very long post and plz excuse.
    Don't know where to start. Let me tell you about me. I am from a lower middle class background had a tough childhood where getting extra notebook was difficult for father.
    No proper bond between parents and my mom was there just for the sake and never felt mother's love in my life. Little did I care about it. I really wanted to focus on education n career. I successfuly did it. Became an engineer and started earning very well.
    Settled my parents with a decent house with all furniture. Helped financially for my elder sister marriage(She sacrificed her education for me since my father could afford only for one. I was always topper so she did it. I am very grateful for her)
    My dream was only one that is to have a lovely family for me. Me, husband and a child is always what I dreamed off.

God finally granted my long time wish and I got married at 29(3 years back). Never had BF or any other relationship since I had so many other battles to go through.
    My husband seemed to be very nice man. Blessed with a beautiful family and he loves his family a lot.I was very happy and thought I got what I wanted.

But problem started within few days of my marriage. My husband is very hard and egoistic. He never share anything with me. For ex if we have to go to some function he will just tell at last min to get ready and I will get to know only while going in care or sometimes after reaching.
    If someone coming home I will know only after they ring the door bell. When we go out he will never walk with me. He is very tall and walk fast and doesn't even bother to look back if I am following.
    I love him truly and all these things was weird and I started explaining how it hurts me to be in dark even in small things. But he shares everything with his parents, sister openly.

My inlaws are decent, not bad. They have very old fashioned expectations from DIL but their and daughter can be modern and do anything but my issue is not them. It is my husbands nature
    I live in UK with husband and inlaws in India. Everything from minor or major things in life from going to India, vacation, outing, investments, property buying or anything is only discussed with his friends, family and never with me.
    He treats me OK like got me a credit card, got me nice jewelleries, got a big house, car for me. But he never got anything I ASK. i ask something for £5 I will not get it. He might get it after years thinking it is time to have. When my phone stopped working I had to wait 1.5 year to get new phone.
    He got a new Iphone as surprise but after 1.5 years is too long I felt. I had to quit my good job to move to UK after marriage. I quickly found another one here but my position was not good as previous one. I had to again quit the job when I became pregnan. yes God granted my another wish too.
    I blessed with a beautiful son who is 10 months old. I had to quit job because I dont have support from mom and my MIL will not do anything for a DIL.

I always feel I have no value in his life. He treats me just a table, chair here.Need a wife just for social status. he never share anything hurts me so much. Anything I plan will not happen. I made bookings for 1st wedding anniversary. He cancelled it without even my knowledge since his mother didnt like it.
    He refused to join me for my office family party so I couldnt even attend. He refused to attend my friends bday party.I planned valentines day out, new year, second anniversary and nothing worked. I dont know even he likes me or not. When I ask he says he loves me But I never found any love.
    All my happiness have gone. To outsiders I look like a happy wife who got rich husband who got everything for wife. but truth is I have no self respect here.
    These days I started fighting, shouting and it becomes very ugly. I am stressed alot. He thinking shouting, fighting is cheap, immatured and says I am from low background and showing the color. High profile people dont do it but how long can I control.

I tried talking polite, with love, with tears, with pain and finally came to this mode and still he doesnt try to understand. He never even bother to listen what I am trying to say. His sister completely understand my problem.
    Even she tried to explain to his bro but it is not helping. For his parents their son is world's best so they only ask me to adjust but what is there to adjust. Should I continue live like a machine

I don't know how to deal my husband. Please suggest something

Thanks for kindly reading my big post

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

2. rathia

rathia Bronze IL'ite

150 views but 0 reply :-( friends I badly need help

3. mukti45

mukti45 New IL'ite

You should start working which will divert you, earn self respect and financial independence.

4. rathia

rathia Bronze IL'ite

Thanks mukti45 for your kind suggestion.. all these years I started diverting myself to keep me busy. I never had the luck to feel parents love now there is no love, care , respect from husband too.. my heart is longing for love. I want him to understand my heart and change a little bit for me. Don't know if it is too much to expect

5. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

give him a reality check.Go for a trip you and your kid alone.Tell him that he never understands your wishes and never respects your initiatives and planning,so you are going alone with your kid.If your husband doesnt want to be shouted at,then write him an email with all your requirements and see how he responds

sindmani, madras2018 and blindpup10 like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1. You are being treated unfairly, agreed, but don't look for things in marriage because you were denied those from parents.
    2. You have a credit card, start using it for the things that you are asking but not getting.
    3. About plans told to you only last minute, tell him you need more notice for such things. After that, if still you are told at last minute only, don't go. Calmly, repeating that: calmly, say that you need more notice. And then stick to your stance, don't give in and end up going.

Solve one or two problems first, then the bigger ones like in-laws getting to know all your life's details can be dealt with. Your sister-in-law understanding your problem is great, but use that wisely. Finally, blood is thicker than water. If he (or his mom) has not listened to her so far, stop expecting her to do anything effective for you. Stop telling her about your problems.

7. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@rathia- I am very sorry for your situation.
    Your husband isn't tough. He is through and through momma's boy. I can't attest if your Dh loves you. But I can say that he might not have known "how to be a better husband". According to him buying a house, a credit card, jewels, and material stuff is a sign of showing love and being a good husband.

If he still confides in his mother, sisters than coming to you shows that he hasn't gotten out of his mom's clutches or just doesn't see why he has to confide in you.

For your DH to change- Communicate what you want in the relationship. You absolutely want him to respect you, confide in you than giving you surprises or tell you at the last min ( maybe this the way his family does things, his father may not ask his mother's permission or discuss).

You want him to discuss things with you. I think you should tell him to do that.
    Start small- Tell him you will appreciate him more if he tells you openly and discuss things with you. You start by leading- Discuss with him about purchasing a small coffee maker ( just an example).

It looks like your DH is upset that you are fighting and arguing- Don't fight, shout, argue or ignore. Be ASSERTIVE, be ACCOMODATING, Be COOL. If he wants you to do something for him and you don't like the approach, idea make sure you tell him "I don't like doing this---but I am going to do this, because I love you and I care for you".
    If you want to go to Christmas party and he refuses to accompany you- you should just go by yourself. By not going you are just fanning his ego and handing over your self-respect and saying... "I will do as per your wishes".

He has given you a credit card- why don't you go splurge? Why did you wait for 1.5 years to get yourself a phone? I am not siding with your DH... Your DH may feel that you need more of hand holding, approval from him, has to fulfill your expectations. Your DH may not be wanting to do any of it for you-- coz he is already doing to his mom, sis. (I am not saying your DH's right)

You have to make him care for you. You have to slowly make him feel you are indispensable. You have to make him feel- talking to you, confiding, discussing with you is easy, natural. This may be hard for a momma's boy... you can do it. (my DH aka- momma's boy is still under progress)

I suggest you not to give in and play the goody goody DIL and wife role- if someone comes home at the last min- say you cant entertain, carry on your day or evening. If the guest see a bit of drama- so be it. What do you want a good pat on your back or to be respect and value for your time?
    If your DH springs on you to attend a function at the last min- say you have plans. Don't go.. to save your DH's face.
    You stand up for yourself. Don't yield to everything.
    If you are yielding communicate that you are yielding to his last min request and canceling your plans because it will make him happy.

Cancelling your anniversary get away- Not good that your DH is seeking his mother's permission. It shows how much controlling his mom is. Why is he even asking her? Does he expect his parents to be a part of this getaway?

It's good that your SIL is understanding of you and your situation-- it looks like your DH has to realize it by himself. He doesn't seem who would listen. This sort of behavior is usually fanned by parents.
    Dont expect your DH to change coz his mom or sis told him to do so. He won't change nor will he do anything... untill he understands or realizes that he has to do it-- for himself to be happy in the relationship.

Communication is the key-- communicate in calm, assertive, polite way. Learn to ignore his last min "yield to me" rules.
    You guys are still a young couple and trust me it will take a lot of effort to be with a momma's boy and to change them. However, you have to stand for yourself first and start saying 'NO' and communicate 'No' in a fashion he understands it better.

I also did this little trick of building our family- I started to say "we three..... have to be happy", "we three need a get away", " we three are so stressed..." we three blah blah"
    I said this so many times until he started to repeat the same lines ( I too have a 15 month old)

I was once bitching to my aunt how my Dh is a momma's boy- she told me to make him be a part of my family and gave her children as examples. She has 1 boy and a girl. She told me that she raised both her children according to her and her DH's wishes and from her viewpoint of right, wrong, struggles. If I wanted my DH to be a part of my family, with my rules, with me as his focal point--- I need to make him feel like he belongs with me and my DS. I can't keep crying that my DH is with his mom.. without trying to make him feel he is needed or be accommodative to him without communicating what is it I need or what is it that he needs to do to be a part of our family.

Communication is the key.
    Things will get better
    Goodluck :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    sindmani, Rakhii, aamrapali and 3 others like this.
  8. rathia

rathia Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestion JGVR. I have tried writing email, text messages but he simply ignores and just say I don't have time for all these stories. he is very rude at times. Going for a trip seems to be nice idea. He will very well allow and will not be bothered at all. Thats what happens always. I have to go myself for shopping, hospital appointment or anything.

9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

This is about power and control. You need to take back control of your life and marriage.

Start small and fight fire with fire. Since he refuses to accompany you for events that are important to you (friend's birthday, office party), you can refuse to attend events that are important to him.

In fact, tell him that if he informs you of his plans at the last minute, you won't go with him. This way, he has to consult you in advance or he has to go alone. Since his public image is important to him, he'll have to confront the issue.

Suggest going for counseling as a couple if the opportunity presents itself.

Good luck, @rathia!

sindmani and EnlightenedSoul like this.
  10. rathia

rathia Bronze IL'ite

Hello Rihana,

Thanks for your advice. Reading this point really opens something in me. You are so true. I am expecting things from my DH which are all denied. But I thought even in marriage we are allowed to have these expectations and common. I am really confused. If I am not getting love, care and respect from DH should I compromise and move on?