1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Deal This Problem With In-laws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by zeppelingirl, Oct 4, 2017.

1. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

I'm not financially independent. He doesn't want me to go for job now. Before marriage when I asked about that he never had any problem with it. Now after coming here I fought for it, and they let me go nearby to a small e-commerce company, where I'm not getting paid much.

And my FIL also told my husband once not to let me go for job if my husband doesnt want me too.. I really dont understand why in-laws wont mind their own business, and poking nose into our matters

2. zeppelingirl

Lol.. Thats a very good idea. And I tried it once. But it didnt work out. I went shopping with both my SIL and Co-Sister. My husband made me return all the clothes and bought me different ones like how my in-laws want me to wear.

3. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Wow!
    Ok this to me is a much bigger deal than not letting me wear my favorite slipper, watch or jeans!
    I would never ever let anyone dictate if I can work or not, unless it is a family decision made by my dh and me for the sake of kids or for the family.. You need to work on that first and find a job that suits your qualifications.

nakshatra1, zeppelingirl and AAPriya like this.
  4. zeppelingirl

Problem is my husband's house is 1.5 hours distant from his office (where most of the s/w companies are). So my in-laws and husband are worried if I find a good job in far away places, we would move together to a house near to his office. So I think they should have planned wisely well before marriage how to deal this thing, and made me go to an office nearby. So that it wont be necessary to move out now.

5. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Op,
    Everything else on one side and not letting u work on another side. You should work if you feel like. Its a complete no-no to keep u jailed in that aspect. So, ur H workplace is 1.5 hrs away?? Does he leave early and come home late in night? Thats sad for 1st yr of marriage and an opportunity for ur inlaws to keep you two in control. Do they allow you to visit ur parents whenever you like??
    Comparing ur sil wont do much good. Is ur sil married? Does ur inlaws visit their other son in usa?

nakshatra1, zeppelingirl and AAPriya like this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Op, it seems u don't have breathing space in ur (in-laws) home. I am concerned about whom u can really open up to. It seems ur husband will not understand now, ur mil can understand. Another idea is definitely talk to a person(may be senior) , who can talk to ur in-laws regarding you going for work and getting ur space in ur life. Will ur parents or elder bro or elder sis or even elder cousins , or aunt , uncle who ever ur in-laws see in great regard can help u. But ur motive is to get ur space and also have a cordial relationship with them. Don't be scared. Life is a big one. Act smart now. All the best.

zeppelingirl and AAPriya like this.
  7. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

Ok.. Just to take ur depression and breathe easily...
    Cut ur FIL's slipper and keep quiet... See how he reacts...
    If he reacts anything, just say you dont know anything abt that...
    And even urs got cut by rat few days ago...

This is just to take ur frustration out.. but dont ever complain abt ur inlaws to ur husband...
    So many wonderful suggestions were given by otehr folks.. Act smartly and move out

nakshatra1, zeppelingirl and Dishaa like this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

They are smart. But u too should be smart to deal with this. Think hard get a solution .Tactfully talk directly or through ur well wishers as I said above and get ur way. My MANTHRA is when life is hard "so what , what next".

9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

The problem is not with the jeans, but your husband’s genes. Put all your energy in getting a decent paying job. Being financially independent is the only way you can walk out of your in laws house in those colorful sandals.

Laks09, nakshatra1, Amica and 7 others like this.
  10. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

A girl needs an independent life (job, money, control our personal behaviors, and so on) before she needs a husband. If you have got the latter without the first, you have to get an independent life before you can think of getting pregnant.
    Most zombie (i.e., living dead) slaves in collective families get that way from parental-or-self inflicted wounds.