1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to cut the width of Saree

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by vkaushik, Jan 19, 2014.

1. vkaushik

vkaushik New IL'ite

My grandmother was very short (4" 11') and she used to say that in her youth she used to cut the width of saree to avoid bulk on her abdomen. Unfortunately by the time I started wearing saree she had passed away and so I could not learn the art of saree cutting without destroying the border and pallu. can anyone teach me this trick. I am short and stocky with very strong features and very short hair. I love sarees and feel confident wearing them. I want to wear saree all the time but can't wear heels all the time though. pls help

2. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

may be she cuts the border off and then attach the border again after cutting off the required length. this has to be done in the lower body.

3. vkaushik

vkaushik New IL'ite

Thanks I thought so too but wont it spoil the design of pallu? I have done the same on sarees without border and pallu design, using transparent pikko thread but its the ones that have pallu design that i need help with. never the less thank you for your suggestion.

4. Greengirl

Greengirl New IL'ite

I am trying the same. My plan is not to cut the border all through the length of the saree but just the bits that tuck in. Planning to ask the tailor to zig zag this for me. Have u found a better way?

Nonya likes this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I wear pants most of the time. However, I wondered if anyone has attempted more than one set of fan-folded pleats? two major ones and a minor one, to be exact.

The two major ones will go on the back, one on each side of the back bone. These two would highlight the butt, a clever ploy, when not wearing heels.
    The smaller third fan-folded bunch can go in front, as usual, and because of the lower bulk, it won't show off the tummy as badly like the traditional method. The pleats at the back will also make it easy to stride when walking. Pallu will be preserved in total.

I would recommend some pinning, wearing, selfie-taking exercise. You can find out how comfortable you are in the new manner of draping a saree.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017