1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to continue BF till 1.5 years without worrying about weaning after that??

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by anutt, Jan 25, 2012.

1. anutt

anutt Bronze IL'ite

Dear ladies, I am back to the forum after a very long time and have an important clarification. My dd is now 13 months old and I am BF her and also giving cow's milk. Many ppl are telling that i should start weaning else it will become more and more difficult.. Even am little worried as it will be difficutl cos throught night when ever she gets up, I BF and send her back to sleep... DD is not used to taking bottle. She drinks cows milk in SIpper.

1. I give her cows milk twice a day ( about 1 glass each time and sometimes she does not drink at all).. Is this quanity enough..

2. I feed her now only when putting her to sleep and when gets up in btw again feed for few mins and send her back to sleep...This is done for night time and nap time... Is this a very bad habit...

3. I stay alone with my DH who keeps travelling, so while weaning it is not possible for me depend on him ..How else can i do it smoothly.. To be honest am eager to continue as long as possible...but the weaning part at that time is making me very very cautious about conitnouing for a long time....

kindly let me know your thoughts and avice on this....
    best

2. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi,anutt

Bf for kids is really good but each thing has its time .ur dd is already 1.5 its time to really stop with it. once the kid get used to it while growing they form an addiction to sucking and wont eat other eatables. its time for her to get prepared for preschool in a year so kindly get a stop to it even at night .
    apply pure neem oil on ur nipples .it tastes yak. children might even vomit for first 2 ,3 times when try to suck . ur dd is quite big and can make difference in taste so after few times she wont even ask for it.
    as u said u feed her at night. try giving her a little heavy meal andnight and if she gets up at night feed her mild warm cow milk at a lower quantity. if she is really hungry she will drink it .mainly kids dont get up at night after a heavy feed.
    hope this helps u

3. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

First thing to do if you want to continue breastfeeding is schedule her feeds.... Don't feed her whenever she gets up from sleep, it's just a habit.... she might cry for sometime in the beginning if you don't give for few days...

I did breastfeed my son till 2.1/2 years and he self weaned after that. Weaning varies from kids to kids..
    He started eating almost all our food by 1 and i haven't faced any prob feeding him food because of breastfeeding. So i decided to continue.

You haven't mentioned anything about her other food habits.
    If she eats our food nicely, then i don't see any problem in continuing breastfeeding, otherwise it's better to wean now itself.

Regards,
    Ansu

4. anutt

anutt Bronze IL'ite

thanks a lot for the replies... She is eating well with no problems. She is now 14 months the only reason why am even considering weaning after 4 months is i heard it will be very difficult to wean after that.. she is already depending on my milk for comfort and sleep...so little worried, cause i want weaning to be as easy as possible on her...