1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

How to calculate the cost of embroidery work done ? - A Discussion

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by Aqua76, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Aqua76

Aqua76 New IL'ite

Hi all,

This is a question which has been in my mind for some time -
    How do we price our handembroidery works or any other works - fabric painting for instance? There should be a way to quantify the hardwork we've put in, rite?
    Iam sure many other IL's will be having the same thought. I would like the opinion of our experienced crafters on this.Please contribute.Let this thread be helpful for those trying to earn something from their hobby.

Aqua

2. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi aqua :hiya
    good point!
    in fact i had mentioned this in somebody's thread- but never mind, we can discuss it here!
    1. total all your raw materials- if needle work/ hand work, materials, needles, threads, gums, carbons, trace sheets, xerox cost, - if u r buying a special frame for this, pls add atleast 3/4 the cost of the frame because we dont know if it might come in use again!
    2. sundry expenses - auto/taxi chages, phone charges, photo expenses if you get it photographed in a studio - i do it before delivering my paintings.
    total 1+2 = rs.'x'
    then your labour = total of 1+2 ='x'i.e., you should charge the amount you spent on materials & sundry expenses.
    therefore your selling price - labour+ expenses=x+x=2x.
    in some cases, where the materials cost v less but the labour ismore, charge - x+x+x=3x.
    but you should also take into consideration that you should give them a competitive rate - little less than the market rate!
    this rule applies to all needle work, handicraft, painting, etc!:thumbsup:-)

3. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Su

Very well explained since I have never sold any of my work I am never able to price it:thumbsup

4. Chandra25

Chandra25 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Su,Good explanation,thanks for sharing.

5. Aqua76

Aqua76 New IL'ite

6. Aqua76

Aqua76 New IL'ite

This pricing is applicable if we buy the cloth and the materials ,do the work on it and sell them ,rite?
    What if someone gives us the material to work on? Say if it is a 300 rs sari or 1000 rs sari - what should be my approach? If I do the same design on the both,will my charge be the same? sorry if it is a silly question - but these are my doubts bonk
    Thanks,
    Aqua.

7. theartisticone

Very well explained since I have never sold any of my work I am never able to price it[​IMG]

hi jaya :hiya
    thanks! in fact this the first lesson one should learn before offering to do work for others!Big Laugh

8. theartisticone

Hi Su,Good explanation,thanks for sharing.

hi chandra :hiya
    thanks, hope this info helps you!:thumbsup

9. theartisticone

This pricing is applicable if we buy the cloth and the materials ,do the work on it and sell them ,rite?
    What if someone gives us the material to work on? Say if it is a 300 rs sari or 1000 rs sari - what should be my approach? If I do the same design on the both,will my charge be the same? sorry if it is a silly question - but these are my doubts [​IMG]
    hi aqua :hiya
    now, see if the sari/ dress material is supplied by the customer:
    1. total the needle work expenses
    total all your raw materials- if needle work/ hand work, needles, threads, gums, carbons, trace sheets, xerox cost, - if u r buying a special frame for this, pls add atleast 3/4 the cost of the frame because we dont know if it might come in use again!
    2. sundry expenses - auto/taxi chages, phone charges, photo expenses if you get it photographed in a studio - i do it before delivering my paintings.

total 1+2 = rs.'x'
    then your labour = total of 1+2 ='x'i.e.,

if your amount is v less but you have put in a lot of labour then your labour charge = 3 x'X'=3X/-
    another thing, if you are a beginner in your craft/painting, you should start off by charging them only for materials - i.e, you cannot keep making things/paintings and hanging them i your home - so you do the painting /. craft but charge only for materials not for labour - this is only until you improve in your work and get a lot of experience - see probably the ones who wl order from you wl be your relatives/siblings/parents/friends!
    infact my first order was from m father- he ordered a small tanjore ganesha for which i charged him only the materials price - rs.500/- this was in 1997! i did almost 5-8 paintings in this manner until my work improved and i gained confidence to charge for my labour! se people expect vaue for their money, so we should give them a run for their money!!!Big Laugh

10. vijiputhucode

vijiputhucode Silver IL'ite

hi
    a small input from me also
    I go with su in all respects of charging... but again one more doubt. how will u charge for ur labour.... I think it is better to first judge the time taken by us for a meter of work in a sari either for painting or embroidery or for any other handicraft work for a piece of wall hanging etc..... for an hour of work u can charge 40 -50 Rs. as labour charge... so u can multiply accordingly...i.e. if u take 2 solid hours for a meter of work 40 x 2 = Rs.80.. or 50 x 2 = 100.....
    o.k. let me see what other experts say...