1. Kubera Pooja on Diwali Day to invoke the Blessings of Wealth and Abundance
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download your Copy of 100 Yummy Diwali Recipes Today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Take the 100 Days Positivity Challenge : Join Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Looking for Sweets Recipes for Diwali? Download the Collection of 100 Sweets Recipes Today!

How to calculate labour charges on material provided ?

Discussion in 'Indian Women Entrepreneurs' started by Candleart, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Candleart

Candleart Senior IL'ite

Please help me as I am new in business and have been contacted to make candles in bulk. All material ,design,labels, packaging will be provided by the buyer. I have to make the candles according to specifications and design ,label and pack them in boxes and send.
    The problem is how do calculate my labour charges ? According to design and flat making charges ? I will have to employ help to do this as there will be a delivery date etc.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009

2. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

The labour is charged on a piece basis or a batch basis.

When you study some material and labour costing, you will coem across a concept on job costing. This is the technique tailors use. They charge you for a job ( means stitching a blouse). Here, you pay them individually. This is also called piece costing.

When you buy a batch of buns from a bakery, you pay for a batch. This is called batch costing.

If the designs, the end product is similar ( 6 candles in a box), then you can charge them on a batch. Or if it is one particular candle, then on a piece.

My advise would be to stick to a combination - say for x nos of candles in Design A, it would be Rs. 100. For x nos of candles in a combo of Design A and Design B it will be Rs. 150.

If he has given you designs, then it makes your job easier!

3. Candleart

Candleart Senior IL'ite

Dear Archana.kc,
    Thanks a lot,this is what I needed to know.You have solved my problem and the formula given is excellent.

4. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Great! So have you sent in the order? And where are you based out of in india?

5. Candleart

Candleart Senior IL'ite

Hi Archana,
    I am based in India, we have recently shifted to a small township from Delhi .I have to meet the buyer,work out the logistics of making candles here and sending them to Delhi , tough luck!! Let us see how the talks progress ,thanks for your advice and interest!