1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to break n scrape coconut....??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by jayana, Apr 8, 2006.

1. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Dear all,

I live in an apartment here in US, and as u know there is no hard surfaces inside the apartment as to where u can hit the coconut to break open it.

Can any body suggest me on how to go about it........and I also tryed to shop for a coconut scraper in local super-matkets, but could not find one......any suggestions??

Since I don't know how to break open coconut in these apartments, I use the dry coconut scrapings from Indian store....but they do not give the authentic taste to the dishes unlike the fresh ones.

Luv n rgds,
    Jay

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: how to break a coconut

Hi Jay,

You should get fresh grated coconut in the freezer section in your Indian Store. If not , you can use a hammer to break open the coconut. Keep one hammer strictly for this. It is quite easy to break it open. Keep the coconut in one hand and then with the other hand use the hammer to tap it open, You wil find it a little difficult . Once you get practice, u can break the coconut with two strokes.

Once open, the best way to grate it is : use a knife to cut the flesh out. then put it in your mixer and grind it. You can freeze the coconut gratings in a ziploc for upto two months

Vandhana

3. Leo

Leo New IL'ite

Coconuts

Hi Jay,

U have two options, u cud get shredded coconut from Indian Stores. It is usually in the frozen foods section. I have tried using it and the coconut is good, it can be used instantly for dishes.

If u want to use fresh coconut then, breaking coconut is not possible in the apartment, so I go out and break the coconut. I then cut the coconut into small pieces and grind it in a mixie. Ensure that when u r grinding let the pieces be of medium size, and by adding water little by little, u will have grated coconut.

Hope it helps.

Bye,
    Leo

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Jayana,

I have tried to break the coconut with a hammer ! And u can then cut big pieces and use a small mixie or food processor....this is one way, we all follow here!Sometimes the indian shops also break it and give!
    All the best for ur coconut breaking.

5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

You have got all the suggestions u need already. I just wanted to add one thing, but probably not useful for u now...

Table top grinders(Ultra) come with coconut scrapping tool, which is very useful..
    If u get a chance to buy grinder, buy with that option..

:)

6. Nirmala85

Nirmala85 New IL'ite

I ask the store guy to break the coconut for me. This way even if the coconut is stale you can get a better one.

7. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

scraping coconut

hi all
    i also want to add some thing rg this.............
    hammer is d best option for breaking coconut.after breaking it keep the skull on low gas(keep the skull in ur hand above d gas) and make it little bit hot n then scrap it wd knife.u can take out coconut wd very much ease.
    hope it will help
    sonia

8. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

aske the store guy to break the coconut!!!u get very nice table top coconut scrapers!!!like preeti etc...u dfenitely get in bay area....coz my s-i-l bot one when she visited us!!!

9. Thooral Mazhai

Thooral Mazhai New IL'ite

nobody breaks coconut with hammer. people cut open a coconut in to two halves, just by hitting the coconut once, twice or maximum thrice with a big knife. at the beginning this is not that easy. there is a specific way to hold the coconut and hit it. there are three eyes in a coconut (with its husk removed). if you closely watch them you can see two eyes are closer to each other and the third eye is in an isolated position. there is a vain below that third eye. hold the coconut on your left hand with the third eye facing upwards (ie the twin eyes side is touching your palm). there is a vain near to the third eyes. hit on the the centre of the vain strongly. it will cut in to two pieces

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Thooral Mazhai !

I appreciated your post very much. You have come out with a very good point by your observation ! Excellent post !!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.