1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Avoid Inquisitive Indian Aquitance/neighbors

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Vedhavalli, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Next time tell them the pressure cooker gasket is missing or that you have guests and need the pot for some heavy duty cooking ( hopefully one of your guests to the international airport will show around at the same time ;))

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

How many of these people do you have? You must have an exciting life for everyone to be so curious about it :)

3. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

2 of them name X n Y, today it happened. I was out on some work. X seems saw that, after I came back, she immediately dropped within 5 min. Q1) Asked where you went? I replied i went out, then Q2) she asked why your kid didn't go to school, I said school holiday for a week again she asked, where you went. I pretended as if I didn't hear. I clearly said I have to make lunch for kid. I moved towards restroom. She is so shameless, waited till I was back. I started working on kitchen, she Q3)asked oh by now you drive well, that's why you can go out. I said yes. Asked meQ4) did you take free way today. Again I replied in one word No.
    I asked her have you prepared lunch, she said yes. I told I need to prepare. She not getting the hint stayed for 30 more min. I kept giving one word reply.

The lady Y has a year old kid, she often comes uninvited in the afternoons like 1 or 1.30, stays still her kid is sleepy. Many days I eat lunch late because of her. She is so smart that, she let her kid play with mine, by luring my kid. I want my child sleep by 1 to 2, now my kid is 3, who doesn't want to nap. Because of her my child takes out all toys out. I would have cleared the area only 1 HR ago. Y would be at my home, till her kid starts sleep. She would say bye, my baby slept.
    Instance no.2 , one weekend afternoon my DH was asleep. She dropped by with her baby, because he was crying, so she said I took him here. He cried top of his lungs my DH woke up. She was there till her baby was put into sleep.
    3) my parents were in Europe tour, I couldn't talk to them for a week. I was talking to my parents on FaceTime, she came as usual, while opening the door itself I told her I'm on a video call. She replied i can wait. She did for 1 hour. I don't like let anyone know my personal things. After the call was over, oh are your parents on tour. I said yes. And lot more questions. My face reaction irritated.
    No. 4) one or 2 times she and baby came,
    When were about to go, I told her pls inform before you come. She immediately told her child has stranger anxiety she wants her baby to get rid that's why coming to play with my kiddo.
    From then I communicated clearly, pls inform then drop by.
    It's just a rant, I'm so angry on these 2 ladies. Who's business is to monitor others

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Seeing the frequency at which you open threads on how much your "friends" seem to be bothering you and robbing you of your peace of mind, you should really just tell them point blank that they are not welcome to intrude or ask you for anything. You seem to be spending way too much time on people you don't even seem to like that much.

At one point, I almost tend to think that you think a bit too much of yourself, that all these people somehow are sooo interested in your life and what you do, that they have nothing better to do!! I am sorry, but this is how I am seeing it. If you think they are not getting your subtle hints, tell them directly that you don't like them. But then you then worry that they will not like you back and talk about you. If you want to help, do so without constantly cribbing about it or if you feel like you are being taken advantage of, tell them directly you can't help.

sindmani likes this.
  5. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

How do ladies gain access to your place- do you leave door unlocked? Why don't you just not answer the door, the problems begin by leaving door open or opening it for them. If they follow you in, tell them I am busy with XYZ and maybe we can chat later. See you later.

sindmani likes this.
  6. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

I have seen ladies with kids ask each other if they could visit each other's homes or arrange play dates. The frequency increases during the winter months. Here, in a foreign land, because there is no family around, ppl do rely on friends and neighbors atleast for the sake of their kids. If you do not want to entertain anyone at home, please tell them you are busy. Tell them that you are studying and have a test soon or getting ready to go out.

I dont see anything wrong in your neighbors comments, considering they are Indian, and thats how they must have seen ppl making conversation back home, after you reached home. Its mostly seems cultural rather than anything else. Ppl from other cultures do make conversations, but they talk about general stuff like weather or travel or food. Not even politics these days.

Do you really like staying in a community with lots of Indians around? Or do you prefer diversity? If so, you might want to consider moving to some other community.

deepthyanoop and sindmani like this.
  7. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

I'm Telling about only 2 persons.
    I understand in a foreign land we have each other. I should be from both the sides. The person x n y never call or text before coming. @Elsa The person Y always brings 1 yr child just because he can get tired at our home by playing with my 3 yr old. Once he is sleepy, she takes him. My kid would be left crying, plus my home chores are left. As I had mentioned in my post she comes around 1 and leaves by 3. It's so annoying often. And she never ever called my kiddo to play at thier place. That's not a play date.
    To the X clearly told her, I'm not comfortable answering too much questions, openly told you ask so many questions... for that she smiled sheepish. For next one month she didn't bother. Now again she started.
    @peartree, these 2 ladies have some psychological issue of poking nose. I heard same from one other person too.
    Im maximum trying to avoid them. What annoy me is if ask same questions, they tend not to reply.

8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Sandycandy likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

First a little digression: Veda has been a name I've liked since forever. Just by itself or with a suffix.

From what you are describing, it seems to be an apartment or townhouse community with many Indian families living there, many with young children, and SAHM's. And perhaps, living in the U.S for a few years only. I can imagine the possible setting in the parking lot, and in and around the walk-ways, plus any nearby park. There is an air of informality and openly staring is not considered rude. It is like the India some of us knew growing up -- front doors were never locked! Parents didn't know which house their kids were playing in, and had no telephone to call and check.

This drop by anytime, and stay on despite hints that you are busy, and being inconsiderate as to use your house to make baby sleepy, utilize your kid's company to tire out own kid, leave without picking up toys, ask questions freely without hesitation... can be irritating. I am saying all this so you understand that I understand how you are feeling. You are not an anti-social person. You are not a bad neighbor. You are not one who becomes anti-Indian after moving to the U.S. You just want some peace and the ability to go about your day without having to fend off so many interruptions. In short, you are a good girl. OK? : )

So, how to deal with these two women? You have to proceed a little carefully. One, you have to live there and don't want to be labelled anti-social. You don't want your kid(s) to end up with no friends due to your being firm with the parents. The main question is whether more people have similar issues with these two women. And whether the other neighbors are smart enough to not take seriously any gossip about you from these two busybodies.

"X seems saw that, after I came back, she immediately dropped within 5 min. Q1) Asked where you went? "
    Even if X and Y were lovely and pleasant ladies whose company you look forward to, this dropping by without asking and staying on, needs to stop. This needs to be followed for the long term health of any relationship. Dropping by without asking is fine and even a pleasant surprise, but you should have a say in the staying on. That is how it works with my friends. We drop by without notice, but we don't stay on unless it is obviously a good time for both. And, neither party should feel offended if told it is not a good time. A healthy mix of Indian informality and western frankness.

Coming back to X showing up at your door. Time to start a few practices. If anyone shows up unannounced and it is not a good time for you, stay by the door, holding it with one hand, and say it is not a good time. Even as she walks in, stay by the door, and repeat that it is not a good time. Do not give a reason. Repeat not a good time. Once she gets the hint, soften your reaction. Suggest a vague 'we can meet after snack time, maybe.' If she doesn't get the hint, be a little more explicit, 'Can we meet up another time?'

The idea is to become the person to whose house people don't drop by just like that. Don't worry that then you will be ostracized. Chances are there are other women who think like you.

The thing with expressing thoughts or feelings like you have is that you get labelled as not friendly, as stuck up, and so on. So, other than to husband or mom, try not to vent too much to people in real life. In particular, to people in your community.

Play date politics. Been there, done that. Shudder! Once again, I get what you are saying. It is very annoying if someone comes and sits in your house from 1-3 pm. They say you 'carry on', but really, you cannot carry on with someone sitting at the dining table, or on the sofa. This also needs to be stopped. Have a quiet time or nap time for your kid that is ostensibly set in stone. A few minutes before that time, wrap up things. Put away toys. And hint that she should leave. Your kid might protest. Tell him/her that it is nap time, and both of you are going to lie down quietly; offer a story or book-reading whatever he/she likes.

Have some polite reasons ready: trying to get him on a schedule. Husband says child should have more structured day.

This has been answered many times in threads. Many funny and efficient responses suggested too. "Why would you ask that?" is one. Deliver it after a pause of few seconds and a look of incredulity on your face.

Don't label them. Nothing psychological issue. Just overly friendly, overly informal women with time on hands. And, why would you ask them questions if you are trying to discourage the same from them?

You simply have to learn to say no, and to set some boundaries, and enforce visiting hours. It needs a little balancing. You don't want to become alienated from all. I would suggest you identify 2 or 3 women with whom you would like a deeper friendship. Pursue that. 1-1. No group. With the others, maintain some distance.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Amica likes this.