1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Avoid Inquisitive Indian Aquitance/neighbors

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Vedhavalli, Jun 19, 2017.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

What neighborhood is this? I want to come and live there. This seems like my apartment complex in India where I grew up and man, I miss those days!!

OP, no offense... but when I try to picture you.... I get the picture of the comedian Vadivelu in my mind.... whom everyone just comes and beats up and goes :) I don't understand how these swarms of Indians find you to ask personal questions to and borrow kitchen utensils from!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

I guess you become overfriendly with people in the first instance itself. Be reserved in the beginning till you know someone fully well. That way no one would take you for granted.

Vedhavalli likes this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

You know OP... I could be one of the neighbors you so dislike. I have so many pyrex and rubbermaid dabbas of my friends and relatives in my house that various people gave to me at some point with something in it. I never remember to return it. If they ask, I just ask them to choose one because it would have been so long that I can't even remember who's dabba is which.

Amica, justanothergirl and sindmani like this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Your 100% correct.
    What I have been thinking is to 'help others', but I'm making a fool out of myself. These people utilize me

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

LOL. I am also one of those persons. I have an area set aside for "other people's" boxes. :blush: Once in a while, better-half or kid will go and give them back to the people's who look at those dabbas and ask without any sarcasm, "Are these ours?" : ) : )

I am also one whose prasad is usually/sometimes delivered to her house. : ) Let's not get into the why. :sunglasses:

justanothergirl, Nonya and peartree like this.
  6. Vedhavalli

Thanks @Rihana, it could be worst if I live in such places, would seep in depression.
    My idea, if I ask them something wrt to school or any small things they hesitate to reply. But keep poking nose by scanning our car park. Though they go for weekend vacation, I never ask where you went, etc etc. But they come straight on Monday would ask from the gas expenses to Airbnb charges Would force me to send itenary of my travel. Because of them Im afraid to change dp of my WhatsApp

7. Vedhavalli

they live within 200 meters, they have time to check my car parking, my windows but no time to return my pot/ cooker. I'm not considering boxes Pyrex etc.

8. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

@Vedhavalli looks like your neighbors are not your type. If you do not like them, stay away from them. Keep yourself busy.

If you do not want to let them know the details of your vacation, cook up some story, tell them that you visited a friends place. If you do not like nosy Indian neighbors at all, move to an apartment community which has enough diversity.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable living in a community with the kind of ppl you described in your opening post.

sindmani likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Doesn't that beg the question about the ideal level of nosy neighbors that is suitable for each and every one's own personality ? Some would like that Shangri-La of the only Indian-family for miles around......and at the other extreme would be the Chandni-Chowk that dear Vvalli seems to be in.

Years ago I visited someone in Boorgu Chetti Street in Secunderabad. While their postal address used the suffix "street", the locals refer to it as Boorgu Chetti Bazaar! The Autorickshaw person had a hellva time in street corners asking for the street, and getting a negative nod from the local cognoscenti, standing in small clumps in every street corner, smoking beedis and surveying the scene. Eventually one person was able to see through the confusion and help out. And when we got there, we understood why it was a "bazaar" and not a street. Everyone came to see who had arrived in the autorickshaw with airline tagged fancy luggage.

Rihana likes this.
  10. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

My neighbors always wanted a day to day information for everything. Purposefully I don't give any information and avoid their company while shopping with excuses of you carry on I have some work even they reply as we wait. They got the point after experiencing it few times. Since then they were not asking or discussing about their plans. And here and there I used the chances to convey this is my life my wish I just care about what my family feel..

By the way it's my experience, people already made a point how to react :)

Try to give a sigh or sarcastic smile, 10sec of stare like none of your business

sindmani likes this.