How risky is 1:235 for Trisomy 21?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by auxigen, Jun 23, 2011.

1. auxigen

auxigen New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

Please help me.....

I am Sachin from Mumbai. My 29 year old wife is 20 week of prego. First timers. DD-Nov 11

Our Anomaly Scan was ok. Doc told us to go for Triple.

We did the Triple Blood Test 2 weeks ago. All other things were normal except the Trisomy 21 risk. It showed "Increased Risk" and was 1:166.

Went for Quadrpule Test in a better lab.

All other things normal [AFP, Nuchal Pad etc] but Trisomy 21 still showed "increased" but was reduced to 1:235

Went for 3D USG and things came Nomal.

As being on borderline of Tri 21, Gynac has left it for us to go for Amnio or not.

How risky is 1:235???

Should we do the Amnio???

Wifey suffers for minor Epilepsy since Age 15.Have taken heavy pills [Frisium 5] for nearly 10 years. Now the pills are changed for pregnancy. No vomiting or any other pregnancy related trouble so far.

Your advice will be most valuable...

Sachin Pandhare
    Dombivli

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

2. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

Hi Sachin,

1:235 for Trisomy 21 test means there is a chance of your baby having a Trisomy 21 defect is 1 per 235 babies. That is what i have perceived after reading it in google.
    The trisomy test report also shows a chart.....where does your value lie in the chart? Is it Low risk, Medium risk or High risk?
    My count was 1:10000 and it was Low risk....so no need to go for amnio and all. :bowdown

The NT scan measures the nuchal translucency fold dimension in the fetus. At around 11-14 weeks the skin of the backside of the neck contains some fluid. The radiologist measures the width of that skin containing the fluid.....any value between 1-5mm is considered normal. The thickness above 5mm indicates a risk of down syndrome. So basically NT scan is to detect potential risk of down syndrome and not Trisomy 21 disorder.

As per my opinion u might consider an amnio for your wife as your count for trisomy21 doesnt seem very low risk. Still check the where the value lies in your chart. If its low risk then no need to do amnio. Or else it would be wise to do amnio just to be sure u know.

Hope this helps. May god bless your LO. :bowdown

Priyanka

3. tweetyfan

tweetyfan Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Although it shows a risk but some results may be false positive.Credibility of the lab and technicians should also be considered.

As far as i know doing amino has its own risks.small % of miscarriage.

The basic question what you need to ask yourself is - if there is any defect in the child (God forbid !) after doing the amino what are you planning to do?.

If you are not going to abort the child and be prepared of the trisomy 21 defect then i would suggest not going for the amino.

However if you decide otherwise then you can go for amino and decide accordingly.

Good luck and hope everything will turn out fine.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sachin, by all means you should do what sounds right to you. However, if I am in your shoes, I will go for the amnio. I know that the risk is less than 0.1% in your case, however I am of the opinion that we need to look at absolute numbers and not the percentage.

Now, whether or not you want to continue the pregnancy is a personal choice. If you decide to continue even when the result is not positive (God forbid, I pray everything is fine), then at least you will have time to mentally prepare yourself and welcome the baby into this world instead of reeling in shock after its born. Again...my personal opinion.

I really pray to God that everything is fine.

5. auxigen

auxigen New IL'ite

Thanks all for the prompt replies.

Wife does not want to go for Amnio as she is convinced that 1:235 is OK. Even the Gynac isn't forcing for Amnio.

Again, there are chances of miscarriage in Amnio as well.

Gosh...our first pregnancy and I am not fully enjoying it...Stuck in real dilemma.

Ladies, can we not go for Amnio and still have a healthy kitten? Wht u think???

[​IMG]

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sachin, of course you don't have to go for amnio if you don't want to. Like I said in my previous post, you are still at as low as 0.1%...which is hardly anything. So, don't stress too much.
    At the end of day i strongly believe that everything is in God's hands.
    In my family we have a history of children with Autism. Even then, we just took a plunge and went ahead with planning a baby. Sometimes we just have to let go.
    So, try not worry. I have a feeling everything will be fine. Dont worry.

7. tweetyfan

tweetyfan Silver IL'ite

Dont worry.you baby will be fine.your kitten is still under low risk.now that you know there may be 0.1 percent chance you can be prepared in case any issue araises.iam sure its very low risk so there won't be any issues.

Doing amino tells you accurately whether defect is there are not.it does not prevent or correct any defect already there.after doing amino doc will give options based on the results.if defect is not there fine green signal for pregnancy to proceed.if defect found then its left with parents to decide whether to continue pregnancy or not.but there is a glitch here.if there is no defect after doing amino in case miscarriage happens ( god forbid) then its a total loss.

Everything will be fine.iam glad that you didnt go for amino.it has to be done by a skilled doc for reducing the risk of miscarriage.
    May god bless you .....have faith.

8. auxigen

auxigen New IL'ite

Finally NO AMNIO!!! :)

This is wht we thought last night...1:235 = 0.42% chances of DS baby but look at the other side of the coin......a whopping 99.588888888888% chances of fit n fine bundle from heaven :thumbsup

Thanks ladies for your time and kind words, u all are really very co-operative and caring. God bless u all:bowdown

9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

How risky is 1:235??? -- Means 1 in 235 babies will be positive..
    Should we do the Amnio??? -- Yes... This will definetly tell you if there is a problem.

You should go and have amino. Good luck...

10. auxigen

auxigen New IL'ite

Hello again ladies,

Good news!!! Wife delivered a healthy BOY on 25/10/2011.

We are so happy :)