How possesive are you about your computers?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sunkan, Apr 15, 2006.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hai folks,
    can all of u express as to how possesive r u abt ur computers...do u feel a tug when some body other than u try to log in..save pictures....and materials that may be of no use to u.....leaving sometime no space for u to do ur work......i think this is a nice thread i am starting hope to get genuine response....i know my mind and heart gives me a tug so want to know how many r like me or otherwise....regards sunkan

2. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkna,

In the office i created my own user a/c, so that i can save some important files & nobody access it. I know it's very irritating sometime to see some unnessary stuff which have no use for us, so i created my own a/c & password so that nobody access it.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

right cheers,
    it is something personal and when someone loads all their stuff there and slows down u r in the height of irritation...i have gone thru that so thought to ask abt it, got this reply of urs after a very very long time...regards sunkan

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

I saw it yesterday & got my attention. Well better be late then never:tongue

5. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is really annoying to have multiple users on a single system. But it depends on the Administrator, on how he sorts the problem. If you are on MS Windows, you can enable Guest Account. But that doesnot solve the problem of others storing some of their files on your folders or viewing them from your folders. For this, UNIX and LINUX platforms have a beautiful tool, that can set permissions for each and every file and folder to be accessed by / to be denied access.

The command is CHMOD and the syntax is
    Code:
    chmod who=permissions filename
    The “who” is a list of letters that specifies whom you’re going to be giving permissions to. These may be specified in any order.

LetterMeaning u The user who owns the file (this means “you.”) g The group the file belongs to. o The other users a all of the above (an abbreviation for ugo)

The permissions are:
    r Permission to read the file. w Permission to write (or delete) the file. x Permission to ex
    When you view a directory listing (ls -l), you can see the permissions for the files and folders in that directory on the left most column something like
    -rwxr-xr-x . The first character in this column tells what kind of file this is. The dash represents a normal file; the d represents a directory. The remaining characters describe the file’s permissions, in groups of three characters for user, group and others respectively.

An r in the first position means you are permitted to read the file. A w in the second position means you may write the file. This includes the ability to delete a file. An x in the third position means you may execute the file.
    A hyphen in any position means that you don’t have that particular permission.

This info is not known for home users, maybe due to complexity. But in LINUX, you can change the CHMOD permissions in GUI (from File/Folder Properties). That should not be a problem.

This is not possible in Windows but possible in Linux and Unix environments. Give Linux :)2thumbsup: ) a try, and I assure you you will not come back to MS Windows :)bangcomp: )