1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Often You Let Our Kids Interact With Husband's Parents, And How?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Vaikuntha, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

How often you let our kids interact with husband's parents, and how?

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well just like how we make our kids interact with our own parents,hubby's parents of course have equal right.
    Our kids should not be devoid of the love given by both sets of grandparents.
    How often they should interact with husband parents?As often as the kids interact with our own parents.

sindmani, aspha, deeprapriya and 2 others like this.
  3. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

How often is that and how?
    My kid hardly interacts with my set of parents, it is not important in our culture. The kid belongs to ILs side. Now, how often and how you have your kids contact your ILs. Leave the visits out.
    Do teenagers FaceTime? Do younger ones FT/ talk only?
    Is there whatsapp contact?

Just need variety of answers from different parents. Also, based on the age of children.

4. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

I have issues with my in-laws, but still we call them every other day.
    I talk very general topics and ask them about their health and stuff like that.
    My kids DD (9) and DS (5) talk to their grand parents almost alternate days.

sindmani and Vaikuntha like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Whenever I make India calls,I make kid talk to parents and inlaws.

Then I do Skype once a week sat for inlaws and Sunday for parents.

Then in watsapp I sent pics and videos to both of them.

During India trip,I stay equally

sindmani and Vaikuntha like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@hermitcrab - All that kids belonging to one family is old news. Have them talk to both sets of GPs. We are matriarchal. My kids technically "belong" to my family. My older one has a good equation with both moms. She is in touch via WhatsApp these days. They FT her every now and then but she's busy so it's less frequent. Now that she's older, I don't have to take any effort. She'll call my Mom and ask for whatever she wants from India when her dad is there. She was an only grandchild for both sets for a very long time so is quite pampered.

My little guy for whatever reason is very attached to my Dad. Lately he's been asking to go see my Dad. He has a lot of speech issues so when he asked for going on a plane and seeing Daddy I almost took him. I can't get him to get that excited with anyone else on FT. Even with his social skills deficit, I try to get him to say hi to PILs on video chats. He started understanding our language a little by hearing them speak. Hoping he'll one day speak.

Vaikuntha likes this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It depends.
    Both sets of parents have equal rights though. But it depends on how they reciprocate to our efforts and the love we/our kids show to them.

My mom and my side of the FOO always pamper my kids as their own. They are very special to them, since they were the only grand kids for a long time. My mom lives with me, so it is like having a second mom for my kids.
    My in laws did not show any interest on my son when he was newborn. Until he turned 3 they had problems with us. They showed bitterness on me; thus did not take any effort to please my kid that time.

It all took a U turn when I delivered a baby girl. Things became cool between us, and we both became tolerant to each other. This time, they showed much interest on the grand kids, specially to the girl as they do not have a girl child.
    Later on, we patched up, and we are in a great terms by now.
    My in laws are our neighbors now.
    Now that they regret for not pampering my son when he was small. So that they try to show extra love on him to overcome their guilty. They also spoil my DD with loads of love.
    Therefore, I allow both of my kids (the only grand kids to my in laws so far) get loads of time with in laws now a days.

Vaikuntha likes this.