How often do you make idli/dosa batter at home?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by generic, Jul 27, 2015.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Generally I prepare dosa batter during the weekend using wet grinder, and I take about 1 or even 1.5 weeks to use up the batter. Sometimes my family members say that the dosa or idli does not come that well if the batter is more than 5 days old., even though it is stored in fridge.
    I do not find time to grind batter very often so I do it once a week
    Just wanted to know how often all are preparing dosa/idli batter at home? and how are you making sure it stays fresh for a longer time?
    Also, recently I soaked urud dal for many hours and then prepared batter as I was busy..then I noticed that the soaked urud dal was smelling so bad and had collected foam:-(
    Ideally how many hours should the urud dal be soaked so that I can avoid this situation?

Sunshine04 likes this.

2. Bestmom

Bestmom Silver IL'ite

Hi generic,
    I too make it once a week..sometimes 10days once..i substitute other recipes as idly/dosa batter remains fresh only for 5-6 days..how much ever u store it..may be u can split into
    Containers which my inlaws do..
    And i soak only for 3-4 hrs both rice n urid dal..for urid dal jus 1hr is enough..
    Dosa will become rubber when u keep it for long..hope it helps u

1 person likes this.
  3. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

It is enough to soak Urad dal just for half an hour, if it is skinless....

Soak one tea spoon of Fenugreek seeds and grind it along with urad dal to make dosa soft.... My mom does that...

And we keep dosa batter in two containers.... one, we will keep out side for 4 - 5 hours for immediate usage...

Other one, We store in fridge immediately after grinding ....

Sunshine04 and generic like this.
  4. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

i make once a week. when kept too long in fridge also it ferments more and not good for health also.
    we not north indian still i love to make dosa and idli as my DD carries her breakfast tiffin and then i have to prepare it immediately.
    i soak rice and dal in sunday morning and grind it in evening. and then i use whole week. hardly it takes 10 mins to grind it.
    comeone you can do it.....dont store it for so many days :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I do it for 2 week at a time. Soak during the day and grind in the night. Ferment it over night and next day morning pack in small dabbas enough for 1 days serving and keep these in freezer. Take one dabba out in the night to use it in morning or few hours before and keep in warm water.

this way the batter stays fresh for longer sometime upto 4 weeks if I don't use it. No wastage as I pack in small quantities. The batter is much fresher than just leaving it in fridge for a week.

I find this very helpful in busy days. You can just have light dinner with minimal effort. You can freeze chutney too if you would like, peanut chutney stays good in freezer.

if you soak urad dal longer and it is smelly, try and wash it multiple times , the smell should go away, if it still,persists then don't use it. But I usually find the smell goes away after three four times washing.

2 people like this.
  6. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

I make the batter for around 8-10 days at a time. And not a drop of it is wasted. Some tips:

1. Do not soak for more than 4-5 hours. If you have some other work, refrigerate the soaked rice and dal after 5 hours, and grind whenever possible. You can refrigerate even overnight. No smell, no foam, no repeated washing this way. Just make sure they are placed outside at room temperature for some time before grinding.

2. Grind rice and dal separately. Mix with salt together using HANDS (which contain bacteria/ yeast!). Make batter slightly thicker than needed. Keep entire batter outside overnight. It will ferment. Store in one big container with a tight lid in fridge the next morning.

3. Whenever you need to use it, open the big container, take a clean ladle, and take some in a separate bowl, mix water and use it completely. Put the big container back in fridge immediately. Do NOT pour any leftover batter back to main big container.

4. You may not be able to make idly in the last few days of the batter, as the "airiness" of the batter would reduce. So idly might become hard or dense.
    My order of using the batter from 1st day of grinding till last day is: idly, dosa, pizza dosa, onion/cheese/masala dosa, uttappam, and lastly, kuli paniyaram with the sourest batter.

Hope this helps! Idly-dosa batter is a precious resource in my kitchen! :)

3 people like this.
  7. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

I grind one batter that can be used for idli and dosa once a week over the weekend. Immediately after grinding, divide it into two containers, ferment one, keep the other one inside fridge after grinding. May be on Wednesday night, ferment the second container, I would have used up the first one by Wednesday. By following this, I will get to make idli on Monday and Thursday with fresh batter, other days it would be dosai.

1 person likes this.
  8. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

I grind it once a week and I also soak daal on Saturday and grind it in evening.let it ferment overnight and breakfast or dinner on sunday is usually idlis I freeze half the batter as I dont use it that often .it freezes beautifully and can be thawed overnight. For Urad daal dont some for more than 3-4 hrs

1 person likes this.
  9. SujathaR

SujathaR Gold IL'ite

I always buy from shop whenever required.

1 person likes this.
  10. Gayabala

Gayabala Senior IL'ite

When running out of time I grind it in mixi...add little bit of fenugreek seeds...dosa comes out very well with this...

1 person likes this.