1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Should Husband Help In Housework/childcare?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by delmed, Aug 28, 2018.

1. delmed

delmed Junior IL'ite

i and my husband are both working. My hours are about 2 hours less than his per day.
    We have 2 young daughters 2 and 4 years old.
    We alternate days to put them to bed, and the other one washes the dishes. I cook a proper Indian dinner everyday and clean up after. I also pick the kids up from daycare, and play with them and take care of them all day except 30 mins every evening when my husband is supposed to play with them outside. I also have full responsibility of everything else related to kids.
    I have a house cleaner who comes once a week and does all cleaning and laundry too.
    I also have a babysitter who comes in the morning and helps with chopping vegetables, in kitchen, and in dressing kids and dropping them to school.

My husband had some extra pressure at work and started resenting having to do dishes after dinner every alternate night, and having to play with the kids for 30 mins each evening. His justification is that because my hours eat work are less, and because I earn less than him, I need to do these things related to kids and house myself.
    Please tell me working mothers what u think? Is he justified in what he is saying? Am I really taking it too easy, and abusing his help?

Would really appreciate your responses.

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Equal division of chores in indian marriages is very rare.
    Have the babysitter help out with dishes in the morning if she is willing . Don’t cook a proper meal every evening. Cook every two to three days so dishes don’t pile up everyday. Make both your lives easier.

pinky2cute and nakshatra1 like this.
  3. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Try to have a fair division of chores . You may have less working hours doesn't necessarily mean your job is easier ; U will have better idea whose job is more stressful ( responsibility, intellectual work, competition , politics ) . But still doesn't mean u should compare. It is both of ur married life u will spoil it by comparing ; Its a partnership not a competition to dump chores on the other one. Your husband talking immaturely that u earn less so you should work more;U have given birth and nurtured the baby , so don't feel that ur contribution is any less. But why fight over all this and spoil the marriage ? Try to hire more help and reduce the work as @SinghManisha suggested.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    SinghManisha likes this.
  4. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

OP,

If you have relatives over your house and suppose the kitchen work for that day increases, does your husband help out of his comfort zone? If you have to go out or travel long distance, how is ur H contribution?
    Can you be a primary breadwinner if something happens to your H job? Give him some flexibility now if his work is stressful... but dont let that turn to be a habit.

SinghManisha and oliveleaf like this.
  5. delmed

delmed Junior IL'ite

Yes he does always help in such situations. Yes I could be a primary breadwinner too, if needed.
    Sure, I see what you are saying...

6. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

It's your call, if you think it is a problem, then it is.

It has to come naturally, cannot force someone to do the household work.

dhivyacc likes this.
  7. dhivyacc

dhivyacc Silver IL'ite

I think , it really my personal opinion.
    If a woman gets emotional support and moral support, household chores or job is not a problem.
    We can do much more.

The disgusting thing is that people use abusive words..

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

True !

9. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

I agree with this. It's the basic indian mentality continuing from centuries! From childhood the sons are treated as kings and not even made to enter kitchen.
    If at all, maybe they are taught to put their plates in the sink that's all. It's the fault of parents.
    By default, women are multi talented and know multi tasking and can handle focussing on jobs, house, kids etc. They are wired that way.
    But men are brought up such that they are made to focus on earning and providing money and hence they fail to understand they can and they should also be able to multi task like women.

Even nowdays within my family circle and even around me i see that once a boy is earning, the talks are always like "aww poor guy, he lived on hostel food and self cooking now living in pg while working. . .he should get married soon".
    Or "aww mother is getting older she cant cook n tkcr of her family. She needs rest. So get the son married".

I get so irritated at this mentality. Arent women too living in hostels and away from family and home food? Don't women too want to get ready home cooked food after a long day at work? But nope... Indian thinking will always focus on '"man of the house" is tired....

Anyways, so my suggestion is don't force your husband if he is not willing to do dishes or contribute to household chores.

Better to pay a lil extra and ask the baby sitter who helps u to also help with dishes.
    Also try to use less dishes and use more of paper plates or disposable plates and cups to reduce the washing.
    Yes may increase your expenses a bit but will give you both mental peace and physical rest. Thats more important.

But tell your husband to spend time with kids. That should not be compromised.
    What is the point of earning well amd saving for childrens education and other needs when you as a parent are not there to spend time with child and bond and create memories?

Also, bonding with child helps the child to feel more secure and loved and inturn add to the overal overal personality development of the child.

Spending time more than money on child is important for core family bonding.

Tell him that once you both are old and children settled in their own lives, you will regret for not having made memories with your children in their childhood.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    SinghManisha, shravs3 and nakshatra1 like this.
  10. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Spending time with kids should not be a chore. He could take a break if he is too tired. But it is more important than doing dishes.
    Cook more and freeze for days when you don't feel like cooking fresh meal. That way you can get a break for few evenings. Buy more ready-to-cook vegetables and your helper can do dishes on those days. Don't stress much about unfolded laundry or some chore undone when kids are so young. Things will be better as they grow up.

Are *you* feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work? To me it looks like you both have enough help and you could give yourself and your husband a break every now and then. Marriage is a partnership and if your husband is feeling overwhelmed you need to hold his hand just as you would expect him to support you when you feel overwhelmed.

SinghManisha and nakshatra1 like this.