1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how much dowry you gave??

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by gopinath, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

None. No dowry concept. Even marriage expenses were shared equally :)
    Though that can be afforded, my parents were strictly against dowry. Even my dad didn't take from mom's parents. Well, it was a looong wait and vigorous hunt to find like minded family. Worth it.

2. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

When my PILs came to my house for the first time for bride-seeing, my maternal uncle started "We will do so-and-so for her..." and my MIL became visibly uncomfortable.
    She said "We are not expecting anything like that." My ILs though sometimes comment on what my parents did and did not do for certain ceremonies, never mentioned anything about dowry.

3. vidu24

vidu24 Silver IL'ite

My mil when they came to see me for the first time they didn't ask anything. After my DH and I met and said ok. she said "we are not expecting anything from you , u do whatever u want for ur daughter and a decent marriage" She also said indirectly that she gave about 70poun for my sil and marriage expenses. Iam from a midlle class family 70 or above not at all possible. My father told her that this is not possible and only 20 to 25 can be arranged with the decent marriage. She was not comfortable but my DH said yes to me she has to say yes. Shesometimes comments on what my parents did and did not do for certain ceremonies, never mentioned anything about dowry. She gave me a diamond necklace for my marriage.

4. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

I don't understand why IL's are discussing this topic even! Specially I don't like ppl who are telling they had to give so much and so much money n all! Why do you have tongive so much TMI in a public forum??

2 people like this.
  5. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

That's okey, Suganvijay.. Those who feel its TMI, they would keep quiet... Dowry isn't a taboo and considering the other personal and even private issues discussed here, I don't think it's a touch-me-not topic :)

2 people like this.
  6. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Not one penny. My parents paid for the marriage though (by choice)

The kind of mean person my mil is, it's a mystery till this date why they are against dowry. They never passed comments about what was given to me or anything about marriage. My parents were very very careful with the marriage arrangements though.

1 person likes this.
  7. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Same here. At first in laws were ready to share the expenses. But some relatives told my parents its better to do all expenses themselves. So my parents said they will cover everything. I was so :rant with them. Later MIL created drama over the wedding hall. She wanted us to cancel it at the last minute. Mom directly said, as we are paying, we will call the shots. MIL still hates her for it and leaves no chance to taunt me with it :)

8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Not a penny.....bride and groom paid for the wedding expenses and had a fantastic wedding ceremony- not one but two wedding ceremony :) very proud of it too. My parents adore him and his parents love me and my family.

9. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Moderator!
    please close this thread ASAP.dowry taking and giving are cognisable offences under the Hindu law.Please such a post should not even exist.We have brides being burnt in the name of dowry andhere some girls are actuallt GLOATING that they bought a groom(what else to say i gave 20 lacs means u bought/shopped something).This is an offense.Please close the thread ASAP.
    Radha

1 person likes this.
  10. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

What a disgusting topic. Closing thread

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.