1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How much can we afford for grocerries in us

Discussion in 'Indians in Stamford' started by ambikaclyton, Jan 21, 2015.

1. ambikaclyton

ambikaclyton New IL'ite

hello ladies

We are new to US based from Chennai and we are located in Stamford. We have been here for past one and half month. I am very much worried about the money we spend for groceries. Can anybody guide how much a family of 3{ 2 adult &1 kid} can spend on groceries for month approximately.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It depends on several things.
    Are you vegetarian? Meat, fish and chicken will drive up your budget.
    It is worthwhile to compare the prices in you local grocery stores, and find one which fits your needs. The best way to save is to shop less often so you don't make impulse purchases, but buy just enough so you don't end up wasting food.
    I plan a week's worth of meals and make a shopping list accordingly. Then I try to stick closely to the list. I try to base this on what's on sale. I also keep a running grocery list on my phone, so that I can enter something as soon as it runs out.
    You should be able to manage for a few hundred dollars a month.

3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

To start with $100 per week is reasonable amount for the family of 2-3.

Some weeks it will be little more, if you buy bulk items like oil, rice, flour, dal etc may be another $50 more on that week.

$600 per month will be the on the higher end.

Make a meal plan and buying it accordingly will help to reduce the cost down. Instead of buying whatever, you see in the super market/Indian grocery store.

4. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

My friends live in Stamford, they are husband and wife they spend around 300-350 for a month. They are non vegetarians so spend on fresh fish and prawn quite regularly !

5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

1. get a warehouse membership in costco type store and get your meat/nonedibles there.

2. You are not far from NYC. You can make a trip to Queens monthly or 6 weeks and stock up on really cheap and fresh veggies/dals and other staples. If you plan well and purchase acc to a plan, you can make the fresh veggies last at least a couple of weeks till your next trip. cut and freeze the extra veggies and use them up like that.

6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

@1Sandhya

I wanted to ask you about this bulk-buying store memberships. I have subscription to Sam's Club. I usually buy bulk items like rice, oil, juice, meat, fish, snacks, flour, sugar and all from here. How can I maximise this membership benefits? I do not buy perishable items like veggies and all because we are two people and veggies go bad ! I wasnt aware that you can cut up veggies and store in freezers, do the veggies remain fresh when cooked? What else can I buy from these bulk store? Please advice...

Op I am sorry for digressing but I think it can be helpful fo you too...

7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

@Weasly We have membership to Costco. In our friend circle, anyone going to costco will inform all others and inform them what to get. We then divide it in the proportion that we all need. For example, bread comes in packet of two. One will buy one and the other will buy another.

Yes, the veggies stay fresh in freezer. For fruits that are not eaten, i cut them and put them in zip log back. Then one day, make a smoothie of those fruits.

For regular veggies, i bring them as needed for the week. I buy from indian stores or mexican stores and these are cheaper than the regular stores. I buy the normal ones not the organic ones.

1 person likes this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I forgot to mention, if you have some large Korean or Hispanic supermarkets they are a great place to buy fresh vegetables, herbs and fruits for good prices. Ours has curry leaves, small brinjals, tindora etc as well.
    Warehouse clubs like Costco are a good idea if you can stick to a list strictly. It is easy to get carried away in these places and buy stuff that's not really needed.
    If you go to a warehouse store, many now carry ethnic foods such as Indian rice, frozen rotis etc. The frozen vegetables are a good value.

1 person likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Weasly,
    The frozen vegetables at Costco are of excellent quality and value. The same is probably true at Sams. I do not freeze vegetables myself. They often have to be blanched before freezing. The frozen vegetables in the stores are flash-frozen and picked in season, so they are nutritious. They have peas, green beans, corn and stir-fry mixes.
    We buy a lot of fresh produce too at Costco. I make a pan of roast vegetables for dinner most nights, and this is a way to handle large volumes. My usual veggies for this purpose are green beans, cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus. I stay away from the huge bags of potatoes, onions and lemons. We can never use those up quick enough. Tomatoes and cucumbers are also a good buy.
    I also buy cleaning products, paper goods, Ziploc bags and aluminum foil since those don't go bad. Some of their vitamins and supplements are also good.We get the cans of V8 juice to take to work for snacks, and some whole grains like quinoa, farro and chia seeds.

2 people like this.
  10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

In addition to the other advices, OP please learn about couponing here. There are websites that give all the tips and if you do it maniacally, you end up paying next to nothing for many things. I would also advise that you learn what canned and frozen veg and other foods are palatable to you. Example for me: I always keep a big bag of frozen mixed veg in the freezer and through modest amounts in fried rice or in veg upma.

1 person likes this.