How many of you have heard that lighting lemon lamps is not advisable...

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by iamsrihere, Mar 17, 2013.

1. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

My mom told me that she read in a magazine that lemon lamps shouldnt be lighted and it is a wrong practice that people are following it..And my aunt who is very learned person about poojas ,slokas also says that it isnt advisable to light lamps using lemon..So in my place,no one lights lemon lamps now..I dont know the exact reason as to why they are saying so..

I would like to know if you have heard about this anywhere...Also your thoughts on this..

2. charvihema

charvihema Gold IL'ite

hai
    me too hear about this only in temple u can do for raghukala pooja advised by jothidar only.
    simply some time ur own interest u cannot do this it is not good too.i dont know exact reason.
    regards
    hemalatha murali

3. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Its really a news to me. In my small town where I am put up there is a Kalikaamba temple with Srichakra which is flooded by women on both Tuesdays and Fridays to light lamps using lemon for 5, 9, 12, 16, 24 and 48 weeks respectively. On the last day poojari of that temple gives some rice from the feet of the Goddess to throw on the roof of our house. Even in my hometown I had this practice of lighting lemon lamps. Now I am in dilemma. Its your responsible to clear that - iamshree (just kidding). Blindly we should not believe anything and at the same time deny anything. Anybody give reason please for believing and denying.

4. Thank01

Thank01 Gold IL'ite

Dear Iamsrihere,
    I know many people doing it here at their homes, but I have also heard that we should not do it at home. We need to observe "Shuddham and Madi" - this is what I have heard, because Lemon lamp is lit for Durga and She is supposed to be very powerful. The lemon lamp lighting is done in many Devi temples during Rahu kalam on Tuesdays & Fridays.
    Some senior members can clarify this doubt.
    Om Sri Sai Ram

2 people like this.
  5. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sisters,

Lighting Lemon Lamps during RahuKaal is being there since yesteryears for MAA Durga, the three days Tuesday, Friday and Sunday are very effective, Yes!!! it is not for Home Pooja Mandhir, but only at temples.

There may be small temples close by, but even if you Don't Have MAA Durga you can still light visualizing her, Rituals sometimes gets added when someone starts it and finds it successful and sometimes spread wrong signals for something which is already existing if it has not been favorable to them (their dedication counts).

Whatever you do please be devoted, that is what is expected of a devotee. May Baba and MAA Durga make it clear in the minds of others who are spreading wrong signals, JMO

BEST WISHES, HAPPY POOJA:)

2 people like this.
  6. iamsrihere

Hey im not kidding..lol...Ya even in temples near to my house people are lighting lemon lamps..Still this is what i heard and that is why i wanted to know how many people are aware about this..Nevertheless you dont stop doing what you are actually doing now,unless you get this confirmed from a learned person..

7. iamsrihere

Yes i too know that lemon lamps shouldnt be lighted at home..Yes as you said i wanted some learned members to clarify about even lighting in temples..

8. Katakam123

Katakam123 Silver IL'ite

Rahu pooja's are very powerful whether is done for Durga or shiva, certain things are Better done when there is enough power mto digest it, temple is an example of it. At home we have kids, baby , girls etc. may be that's why

For example during eclipse all temples are closed except sri kalahasti temple . This is due to the diff energy movement.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. iamsrihere

Dear Ladies,

I have not started this thread to create confusion..I just wanted to know how many have heard about this..And you dont have to stop doing what you are actually following unless you get the information from a trust worthy learned person..:)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  10. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Yeah, even I have seen so many lemon lamps when I go to the Amman temple near my house on Fridays and Saturdays.

The first time I saw this was at MelMaravathur temple, but I really did not know any specific reasons for this.