How many drops of Vitamin-D for 2 weeks old baby

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by babypink126, Dec 11, 2013.

1. babypink126

babypink126 New IL'ite

Hello,
    My paediatrician has advised to give vitamin-D drops for my 2 week old baby, 1ml per day upto 1 year. 1ml in the filler is approx 8-10 drops which I heel is too much for a newborn. After giving 1ml as prescribed my baby is drowsy and sleeping too much even without waking up for feeding. Even if forcefully fed once in 4 hrs, baby doesnt drink for more than 5 mins and sleeps away. I feel it is an effect of overdosage. Pls advise if 10drops (1ml) is correct dosage.

Thanks

2. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

I do not know about this 1ml vs drops even though I feel 8 drops is too much. My daughter is 8 weeks and she is taking 4 drops everyday. Call your doctor and ask how many drops should be given.

Regarding sleepiness, I am not sure if that is related to Vit D. All newborns sleep off on their mom's breasts as nursing has tranquilising effect on them. My baby sleeps even now and wakes up when I put her down.

3. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

My DS's paed did not give any supplements..not even Vit..D??

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

First thing your location: are you in India? I have not seen paeds in India recommending Vit D supplement.

The general dosage for Vit D in infants in 400 IU daily. The number of drops for getting the daily dosage may vary depending upon the Vit D brand that you use. If you are using the ones available in Walmart/Walgreens/CVS etc. then 1 ml is required to achieve the daily dosage. If you are using the ones available in Vitamin Shoppe then 1-2 drops is sufficient to achieve the daily dosage. You can check this in the original packaging of your Vit D.

Sleepiness is common in newborn. Vit D supplements usually do not have side effects. Skip Vit D for a day and see.

5. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

I remember that I gave 3 drops for my DD and its a vit drops but not sure whether its vit D or not? .check with your pead again or you can see the dosage on the box of the medicine.

As ramya said you can stop it for a day and see if there is any difference.

6. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

My doctor said 1ml of vitamin D, I give it with the dropper, I havent counted how many drops that is. I bought it from the local pharmacy, its called D-Vi-Sol. I live in the US, so all the peds prescribe it here.

7. Sweetpeas

Sweetpeas New IL'ite

I have been giving vit D 1 ml after week 1. Small babies sleep around 18 hours a day. I don't think it's effect of vit D. But you should feed your baby every two hours. With weeks passing sleep will reduce to some 14 hours and your baby will be more active. And at that time feeding should be on demand.
    this is from my experience and what my doc told me. You should consult your doc to be sure.