1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How many are wearing Thali/Mangalsutra ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by mlk2009, Jun 7, 2009.

1. EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove Silver IL'ite

I honestly don't believe in wearing my thaali to

1) To tell the world that I am married
    2) To preserve Indian tradition
    3) To increase my husband's longevity.

I was (and still am) in the US when our marriage was fixed and so I didn't have a chance to pick out my thaali or the chain. My in-laws did it for me and man, it is too thick and huge. I wore it for a month, and gave up on it. Not just because it is uncomfortable but because I strongly feel that I don't need it to display anything or to prove a point. My parents have visited us here and know that I don't wear it but though they are unhappy they decided not to hold it against me. But my in-laws on the other hand have no clue. I have inclusions like the conch and shell to my thaali and now in our impending trip to India, they want me to have coral beads attached to it!

Now it's only been a little over a year since we got married and we never got to live as a family together to understand each other - so I haven't had a chance to tell/explain my point of view to them. So I am going to have to put up a false pretense in India and when they visit us here later this year. May be I will get a chance to explain to them when they are here but until them I hate to admit, I HAVE to put up a false pretense.

I really hope people stop judging people based on how they look what a supposed 'culture'/'tradition' dictates..!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. sweetyk

sweetyk Gold IL'ite

I wear my mangalasutra and bindhi all the time. Mine is not very thick nor very thin. I wear it with all my tops. Every one has a different opinion so I don't want to comment on others opinions. Whether they like to wear or not is totally personal belief.

cheers,
    sweety

kaniths and (deleted member) like this.
  3. EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove Silver IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  4. Janimeow

Janimeow New IL'ite

My DH always wants me to wear thali, pottu and metti. Even though I don't like to wear them for modern dresses I used to wear to make him happy and my MIL told me not to remove them. But it was awkward to wear all of them for modern clothes and I looked over accessorized. I told my DH that I don't like to wear these things. He started fighting with me. Since we are in abroad most of the time I do wear jeans and tee. I tried to convince him he said 'do whatever you want" in angry manner. I don't know what to do!! I'm a very much dress conscious person. I don't know why doesn't he understand my feelings :(

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Tell him to wear a dhoti or the tilak to work.

6. AnitaJ

AnitaJ New IL'ite

I don't wear my mangalsutra unless it is an occasion. The wedding ring is worn though. B'cos my husband and I live in different cities because of our jobs, it is not safe for a girl to be wearing a gold chain in Toronto :(

Anita!

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I wear a very thin gold chain.No bindi.

However, I have to agree a bindi adds beauty to the face BUT I do not prefer it for western outfits.
    Although for salwar kameez and saree,bindi looks so gorgeous.

Even without an ounce of makeup,just wearing a bindi makes one look attractive.
    Just my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Nope dont wear! Cnt wear ear ring only, irritates me to hell, mangalsutra n all toh far fetched idea!! Always ill be worrying of i lost it! Only wear a watch! Thts it! On ocassion i hv to wear but otherwise safely tucked away!

9. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

courthouse wedding - so no thali.. and no wearing of thali..

10. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

yes i do,
    i wear thali ( i changed to thread recently after my mil's thali chain got snatched). i work in shift hours and drive alone at late nite.
    im comfortable wearing thali, pottu and toe ring all the time with my modern outfit.

1 person likes this.