How Long To Keep Food In The Fridge

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by shravs3, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

hehe. coz you r the wifey:smash2:. just tell him ,its only a day old

Sweety82, shravs3 and sweetsmiley like this.
  2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

sorry that is too much expectation. In some Asian culture fermented food is used for several weeks. If quantity bothers him then maybe divide them into 2 separate containers and store them. Can you reduce the quantity made ? I use idli batter for a week I never had issues. In fact I always grind it on Friday evening. It is lot of work washing , cleaning and moving the grinder and its parts . Even in that case I need to use oven lights for fermentation. But when it comes to other grains I use only vita mix to grind and I always make only needed for a day. Regarding left over food if he is too picky just make him something simple and you can consume the food. At this age nobody makes batter every day. Sorry I misunderstood before.

shravs3 likes this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes I normally do this . But wat to do Husband is very smart in these things :grin::BangHead:

4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

And funny thing is I stopped grinding the batter :p Instead of that I do Rava dosa,Oats dosa ,Rava idly etc .He wonders why did I stop preparing the batter :sunglasses:. I am also becoming smart now :banana:

SunPa, Sinant and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

I will give you one tip. It's already known only. U soak idli rice and urad dhal in small quantities (prob. 1/2 cup uradh and 2 cups idli rice along with some fenugreek if u want) previous day night. Next day grind the batter with some salt and buttermilk and prepare dosa. Finish it. Stick on to making only dosa . U can make fresh dosas. If u want u add flavours in that batter like adding tomato, or corriander pudhina green chilli. Hope this may help.

shravs3 and Sinant like this.
  6. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Very smart indeed :sunglasses:
    I like it :beer-toast1:

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:It also depends on the age of fridge and whether it works in 220 v or 110 v power supply.
    2. New fridges of reputed brands often give plethora of problems in its usage.
    With so many adjustments in proportion to the type of raw and cooked food stored haphazardly leads to enormous food wastage besides consuming too much electric power. As there are zones of cooling from top to bottom ranging from near zero to 10 to 12 degrees centigrade, one has to do lot of planning in choosing the zone for storage.
    3. In some brands one can keep vegetables safely for a day or two without any wrapping. Some brands one need to store in special wrapping material like nylon mesh, news paper, edible zip lock pouches.
    Milk seems last longer if it is boiled and stored in fridge it would remain fresh for almost three days.
    4. Many times for extra cooling button is turned and then totally forgotten resulting in stored vegetables become soggy and unusable.
    5. One may not like throw left overs onto waste bin but only after storing and cooling it in numerous small vessels in fridge For a day or two. This done by many households as if they had been ordained by their tutelary deity.
    6. In many households the lady of the house would be eating the leftovers from fridge and often get into stomach related problems. Servant maids often bunk for the same reason.
    7. Best policy from point of view of health, seems to be "cook fresh and soon eat fresh".
    To Save time and minimize food wastage one turns to fridge but some one or two at home will have e-coli all the time in their system helping thriving of PHARMA industry.
    Today being dedicated to environment let us vow to switch off fridge for next 24 hours to have less carbon deposit, better climate in our stomach and in the world!!!!!
    8. I would apologise to all housewives or and househusbands cum IL’ites in the event of their feeling hurt with my above views!!!
    9. All this do not apply naturally to habitual “Drunks”.
    9. There Are other uses. For example if string has come out and reinserting a problem. One can freeze the “nada” in freezer and it will turn stiff after a while and then the job is easy! Keep broken narial semis in fridge and after half an hour grate; you would see the brown part stuck to shell and white part come off easily Good for making BHARFI - Trust @GeetaKashyap knows this!

Regards.
    God grant us good digestion including the power to digest e-coli.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    shravs3 likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks but is it ok for doing it directly without fermentation ? Since it’s rice and urad dal ?

9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Haha good tip sir :grinning:. True it’s always good to prepare fresh and eat fresh to prevent wastage and save health !

10. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Yes u r soaking it during night time. So no need for fermenting it for long. I have done like that and I have got tasty and crispy dosas

shravs3 likes this.