How Long To Keep Food In The Fridge

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by shravs3, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Frangipani

Frangipani Silver IL'ite

The purpose of fridge is to store some fresh and also left over food . we store some left over curries, masalas etc up to three or four days .

shravs3 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

True , but my DH doesn’t want me to store for more than 2 days , so I always tell him that it depends on the item . :neutral:So I wanted to know how everyone stores it .

Frangipani likes this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Dosa batter is good up a week or more.

Cooked veg food 3- 4 days ..

Rice- max a day or two it starts leaving water so I don' like to store , mostly consume by next day.

Non - veg I don' like to store in fridge , it becomes rubbery once it goes into fridge . If I have too then max a day

Ask your husband to read on refrigeration , It is meant to be a convenience and we should it , otherwise we can store everything outside , most food items stay ok till next day / 12 hrs without refrigeration

shravs3 likes this.
  4. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Usually, I will not keep freshly Indian cooked items in fridge not more than 2-days; Idly batter can be kept 1-week in the fridge.

If it is 4-days old, I will not use it. You can see it, it will get sort of fermented, frothy looking with foam?

shravs3 likes this.
  5. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

I have the habit of consuming food cooked within 24 hr period. No more storage. I store idli dosa batter upto a week and yogurt (2-3 days) in the fridge. Mostly refrigerator is for raw fruits, veg, milk and eggs and some uncooked Rotis.

shravs3 likes this.
  6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Food can be stored in refrigerator for 3 days.
    Can be freezed for 2 weeks.
    For better, this is what I do.
    After grinding and mixing in salt as usual, I pour half the batter into another vessel and put in fridge immediately.
    It can be fermented when needed

shravs3 likes this.
  7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I just want to provide different POV . I grewup in a joint family so I always ate fresh meals there is no concept of left over meals. Fridge was used to store milk or yogurt not even batter. It is not about understanding the use of fridge but rather some individuals are mentally wired to eat only fresh meals. If my partner has this preference, I would prefer to respect his/her wish and try to do my best to prepare meals every day. It is ok for a him to expect a freshly prepared meal.

SunPa likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

True in joint family chances of food getting wasted is less since there are many people where food is utilised properly. Even though I have not grown in joint family, I have hardly eaten old food while back in India except for the batter which was used within a week.

My main problem is with batter as the process of fermentation and batter getting doubling up is not in our hands so there is no other option apart from storing it in fridge as I don't like throwing the batter even when its in eatable condition !

I have already mentioned I normally prepare fresh food , but only if we go out it gets wasted and he tells he will eat next day but he doesn't .Tats where he starts telling shouldn't eat if it's day old etc etc.
    One more thing I want to highlight is I have even seen my MIL stores the batter for 3-4 days in fridge. Then obviously he should be used to that batter thing so I wonder why is he worried about it now o_O

9. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@shrav3 is he expecting you to prepare fresh idli batter every day ?
    But the longevity of fermented food is really high . Is he expecting you to make fresh batter every day or fresh food every day?

10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Food I do every day fresh he expects the same .
    But batter he says do less but how can I do it since some times batter gets doubled up :(