1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How long do U BreastFeed ur baby???

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by cheer, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Nand,

I think Cheer wants to know how long a mom breastfed/is breastfeeding her baby. She has also asked it specifically as 3 questions incl. if someone introduced supplements. I think the titile is not confusing.It is just that at some point it started looking like we are sharing our 'experiences' rather. (Unfortunately) those of us who have replied until now have breastfed atleast until 6 months. I hope other moms who have had other type of experiences too post here.

Just my 2 cents... Latha

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Sorry ladies to barge in to answer a question by Amitha as I don't know where else to post my reply...
    Amitha, I've had and even now keep getting back aches every now and then - it is very common to have backaches following pregnancy and delivery (not necessary due to epidural) - I had vaginal delivery. You need to see a physical therapist if it is really bad and learn some good exercises to strengthen your back as with the growing baby the pain while carrying the kid will only increase if you don't take care of your back. With regard to bleeding I have bleeding similar to you but it lasts for a day or two and this is again common during breast feeding. I had the bleeding even before I was on progesterone pill and even now it continues - as long as your ob is aware of your health then its fine.

Cheer, coming back to the original topic of yours, I am exclusively breastfeeding my little brat and haven't yet thought of supplementing or weaning.

-L.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

1) How long do u BF?
    At 22 months I still breastfeed at least x4-6 a day+night. We are leaving weaning to K.

2) Did u use supplements like formula/cow milk etc.
    K was born 6 weeks early with the lowest weight being 1.7 kg and my milk took a while in coming (5 days). K had jaundice and our paed conservatively put him on alternate feeds formula to be continued till he was 3 kg. Fortunately, at the hospital we never could do it and I ended up bfing x 10 and formula x 2. Which is what we settled into, using formula only when I was exhausted beyond exhaustion.
    Turned out K had an intolerance to the cow's milk component of the formula and we eased into exclusive bfing by week 6 after upping my supply. We've never done formula after that.

3) At wht age U started giving cow milk or other supplements when ure BF too.
    We tried at around 14 months (adjusted age) and milk protein intolerance turned up again. So we have backed off. We did a lot of hidden dairy up until a while ago, now K and I are totally dairy free. K is doing much better. I do not think I will introduce milk/dairy products again before 30 months.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008