1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How long do U BreastFeed ur baby???

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by cheer, Aug 14, 2008.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Just wondering how long do U BreastFeed ur baby??? So that upcoming mothers & mothers like me get boost frm experience mothers. So Questions are-

1) How long do u BF?

2) Did u use supplements like formula/cow milk etc.

3) At wht age U started giving cow milk or other supplements when ure BF too.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi cheer,

I breastfed my boy until he was 15 months old. He was breastfed exclusively until 6 months then i gradually started introducing semi-solids.

I introduced cow's milk as part of his diet when he was 8 months old. Never as milk in bottle. I used to cook his porridge in milk and also introduced yogurt around this time.

I started giving him formula milk during day time when he was close to a year. This I had to do because we travelled to India. Else I would have just waited and started cow's milk directly. In Germany it's not advised to give cow's milk until the child is a year old. I then switched over to cow's milk (always without sugar)when he was 15 months old. Only during our trips i used formula milk but that too was very rare.

Latha

3. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Cheer

I exclusively BF my li'l one for 13 months. After that I switched to Enfamil Toddler formula & now I have started giving her Cow's milk with junior horlicks coz she doesn't like plain milk my ped asked me to give it with junior horlicks.

Dhivya

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I just stopped BFing so I've BF him for just over 1 year - exclusively for 4 months.

I never supplemented with formula/cow's milk until I started weaning. I used to add small quantities of cow's milk to cereal/fruit from 6 mnths on but not as a drink.

I started weaning with cow's milk in a sipper after he completed 10 months. It was a very gradual weaning spaced out over 2 months.I have never used formula. At present he drinks cow's milk without any additions, hope to keep it that way for as long as I can.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Cheer,
    I had lot of hiccups in my initial breast feeding days.I had to supplement with formula because he had jaundice and then he will not latch(nipple confusion??) But I did not give up I was pumping and trying to breastfeed and also used to supplement with formula.
    At 4 months I started him on solids.As he grew up our BF relationship got better and I gradually stopped pumping.Now he is almost 1 and we are down to 1 feeding per day.I give him toddler formula during the day with his cereal etc.,He is not much into drinking milk/formula but has lots of yogurt in his diet.

6. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

wow it's cool to hear abt everybody experience. Kuddos to U all ladies:clap. Luv to hear frm other mom's. For me since her birth i give her formula once, started solid frm 5th mths onwards. But now my milk supply reduce & only 2 1/2 times i BF her & 2 times i give her formula. She doesn't drink milk at night time.

I'm really worried.

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Cheer, I am still nursing Riya except for dinner time when she eats solids. I never supplemented her with formula or cow's milk. Planning on starting cow's milk when she's around 12 months and then slowly wean her off of breast milk.

Raj

8. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thats a little too wierd even for a strong supporter of BFing like me. The audio was too broken up though - what did the mom say?

Vanathi.

10. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

I BF my baby boy till 14 months old, then started with formula milk and cows milk. However had started semi solids at 5 and 1/2 months.