1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how long can we store pumped milk

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by YesBee, Dec 16, 2009.

1. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

Hello mommies,

How long can we store the pumped milk in fridge (not in the freezer) in India? Is it safe to store them beyond 24 hours when the fridge is cluttered with the usual home stuff.

Experienced mommies please suggest.

2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Yesbee - Here you go !

Room temp - 3hrs
    Fridge - 2days
    Freezer - 3months :)

3. babychinnu

babychinnu Senior IL'ite

hi ladies,

i enquired in fernandez hospital, hyderabad and they said that expressed milk can be stored upto 6-8 hours at room temperature...considering the lower boundary we can store upto 6 hours.

deepchiran.

4. nemo

nemo Senior IL'ite

hi,

Guidelines for Storing Milk

The table below is a quick guide to how long breastmilk can be stored, depending on where you store it.
    <TABLE class=vtable border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #caadc1"><TD align=middle>Storage<TD align=middle>Temperature<TD align=middle>Longevity<TD rowSpan=3>Room Temperature 15°C / 60°F 24 Hours19 to 22°C / 66 to 72°F 10 Hours 25°C / 79°F 4 to 6 Hours Refrigerator 0 to 4°C 8 Days Freezer Compartment in Refrigerator Varies 2 Weeks Self Contained Freezer Unit of Refrigerator Varies 3 to 4 Months Separate Constant Temperature Deep Freezer -19°C / 0°F 12 Months
    click the link for more info..Storing and Using Expressed Milk

:bonk

5. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Yesbee,

It is from my doc- 4 - 6 hours in room temperature and 24 hours in the fridge.. have not asked about freezer though...

Vidyaa

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Just wanted to add that Nemo's figure holds good if your baby is full term and healthy. For sick and premie babies, I would go more with what Anitha posted.
    p.s. yesbee, when storing in our fridge, I chose the back most portion of the fridge below the shelf meant for dairy. That is the coldest part of the fridge. Dont store near the door along with other bottles. HTH

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I have stored in the refrigerator for 6-7 days without spoiling. However Tikka's suggestion makes sense.
    I also changed the setting to Coolest when I stored breastmilk.

8. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

Hello mommies,

Thanks a ton for the replies. I am currently storing it for about 20-24 hours in the back most portion of the fridge as Tikka mentioned. But one of my friend said that we should not store beyond 12 hours in our refridgerator :-( as the temperature is not that much cold as in foreign countries. So I was worried if I am doing anything wrong. Thanks for relieving me of my worries :)