How is life in Kampala-Uganda... ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by dparekh, Feb 15, 2010.

1. October

October New IL'ite

Uganda indeed is the Pearl of Africa. Pragati is rite one can't stop falling in Love with Kampala after visiting this beautiful place. People are very friendly, they never fail to express their feeling of thanking, apologizing and greeting. If u r nice to them they r even more nicer to u.

2. tarunjain007

tarunjain007 New IL'ite

Hi,

I got the offer from local company. They will be offerring furnished accomodation, transport and local allownace of UGX 1 million (approx. INR 20K). Can anyone help me is this sufficient enough to have good life there with family with 2 kids. How much good school will charge in kampala

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    frankly NO...........but if u r getting some off shore savings & school fee,medical expenses paid by the company then its okay otherwise.....
    whatever u get in India for Rs 100 u will get for UGX 10000 in uganda............for instance flour is 20 Rs a kg in india but almost 2000 0r 2500 ugx in uganda........

4. tarunjain007

tarunjain007 New IL'ite

Thanks for your input. Yes I am getting the offshore savings as well along with local allowances.
    Company will be paying me the following along with off shore savings:
    1) Furnished accomodation.
    2) Car with Fuel
    3) UGX 1 million
    4) Family visas and ticket cost once in two year.

We are pure vegetarian pl. advice if this will be sufficient to stay a good life. Also pl. help me with the list of good India school along with the fee, that will be really very helpful of yours. thanks

5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    thats ok but its going to be tight budget.......try to get the company to pay the school fee then its okay........
    Aga khan international school has a website where even school fee is mentioned...........DPS school has almost same fee structure.............i am not sure but its about 500,000 UGX per term & there are three terms in year.........i am not sure if this includes books & statinary but dress is separate...........the Aga Khan (Local) & Kampala Parents follow the local ugandian currililum & i think their fee is little less...........
    if u chk other threads on kampala u will get fair idea of things & cost etc.........there will be slight increas in cost.......otherwise we get all fruits & vegetable plus all indian food items......
    pragati

6. letmeinplz

letmeinplz New IL'ite

kampala is a very nice place .u & ur family will really like it.to answer ur questions
    school year starts from sept but the DPS school starts from march as they follow CBSE .Holidays are in july then again in december followed by another break in april.all school follow different patterns of holidays but this is the general gist.DPS has its own holiday pattern same as in India.

7. SheelaR

SheelaR New IL'ite

Hi.. My husband got an opportunity to join a company in Kampala..they are offering around 5000 usd, air travel, medical + local expenses. My main concern is the health issues in afrika... Spreading of Ebola and similar diseases.. Anyone living there could share actual current scenario which will help us make our decision..should he accept or wait till things get clear? thank u in advance

8. Gaurav955

Gaurav955 New IL'ite

Hi,,

I am from Delhi India

Going Kampala for work permit so I would like know how can I manage my fitness and also please let me confirm about locality's
    What are the most problem Indian faced there
    And is it safe to work over there...............

9. Gaurav955

Gaurav955 New IL'ite

How is Kampala for Indians
    And life style of Kampala...

10. sahilpreetesh

sahilpreetesh New IL'ite

Hello All,

I'm getting a job in kampala with in hand salary of 2500000 UGX where accomodation with elect.+ water bills +transportation+medical+ mobile bills+child school fee will be taken by company side.
    I want to know whether me my wife & a child of 1.5 yr can lead a gud life there

leo10866 likes this.