How is life in Kampala-Uganda... ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by dparekh, Feb 15, 2010.

1. masterjee

masterjee New IL'ite

Life in Kampala is Good. There are plenty of Indians and they meet regularly over the weekends and festivals. We have Indian Association (Apart from the Indian Embassy) which arranges regular activities such as poojas, fashion shows, get togethers etc. People are warm hearted and always welcoming. There are plenty of restaurants in case u don't have the mood to cook. In case u are pure veg, u have an option of Govinda's restaurant which has the ISCON temple above. There are lots of tourist attractions around.

Well, as we say, there r always two sides to a coin, the uncomfortable sight in Kampala is the heavy traffic. I have spent hours for a 15 km drive.

With so much positive and so little negative, it's worth. All d best.

2. masterjee

masterjee New IL'ite

all d best:thumbsup

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi Mr Jatin,
    ugandans are very friendly & if we give respect we get it.english is common language but many will greet u with' kam chu' as there are many gurjaratis........
    all vegetables are available & lots of Indian resturants.
    a family of 4 can easily survive on2000- 2500 $ including school fee & rents if u choose DPS or Aga khan School.
    thanks for offering to get any thing but there is really no need.u can get everything here.
    all the best
    pragati

4. youandvijay

youandvijay New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am Vijay from Pune, India. I got job offer from RAPS Uganda, company for Kampala location. Just wanted to know how much safe Kamapala to join and do job? What should I do?
    Please help me out as I have vary few days left to accept or reject this offer.

5. Paul

Paul New IL'ite

hi every one,i thank u all for the great information u hv provided about kampala.am hear to inform u that am a ugandan citizen currently studying in bangalore,arrived in India in 2010 but i want to assure all those interested in kampala that its a nice city to be in tho its infrasture is not as good as that in bangalore.i grew up there and i know the place so however going to kampala trust me there is nothing to regret.schools are there if u want the children to be with fellow indians schools such as old kampala sss,i studied there 4 on year.i managed to interact with indians for a year,agha khan and many others.kampala is a good place.

6. priyanka30

priyanka30 New IL'ite

Hi,

thanks for the below posts regarding Kampala,

As we are shifting to Kampala next month, seeking help for the suggestions for the clothing which are required for round the year for men , women , Kids - 6 yr as per the climate over there, is it the season is so cold for the use of woolens ( how many months in a year)

Seeking help ASAP...

Priyanka..

7. Mahajanpragati

hi,
    you will need full sleeved Tshirts ,dresses & shawls.very heavy woollens are not necessary but light weight sweaters,caps,jackets are a must.you may need warm garmets for almost 6 mths but mostly in morning & evening.
    for kids full sleeved gresses & long trousers along with socks & cap in light wool as well as shoes are required
    pragati

8. priyanka30

priyanka30 New IL'ite

9. anandita01

anandita01 New IL'ite

Hi,

Me and my husband are due for a visit to Kampala for a week. Though I have read several threads (most posts by Pragati) , still just wanted to ask in the forum if the place is safe and secured. We my end up getting posted there later on.
    Are there any issues that we need to be aware of?
    Dos and Dont's?
    I have read in the thread that there is noticeable indian community. Whats the percent of Indian population in Kampala?
    In seven days, can I visit some Indian community,club, gatering?
    Any Indian restaurant that you can suggest.
    Any hotel that you can recommend would be extremely helpful.

I am really looking forward to your suggestions. We have never been to Africa and are a bit concerned about this trip.

10. Mahajanpragati

hi,
    kampala is as safe as any city.you need to be cautious as u are in any new city & take similiar precautions.
    there are 2 indian temples in heart of city which you can visit & there is indian association where people gather in eveing to play snooker & other games.on sat 20 there is going to be independence celebration at New Delhi resturatnt which u can attend.............
    there are numerous indian resturant & u will find difficult to choose............food courts in garden city & nakumatt (shopping malls ) have indian food.u will find samosa in all malls...........
    hotel for all budget is available & so in fully furnished apartments which rent out on daily basis(chk tripadvisor.com for hotels rates,places to visit and forum in this website for kampla info)
    this is very nice city............ugandians are very friendly people.
    pls,get some warm clothes & umbrella as its raining daily.
    most welcome to PEARL OF AFRICA(uganda)
    pragati