How is life in Kampala-Uganda... ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by dparekh, Feb 15, 2010.

1. dparekh

dparekh New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I am born and brought up in Sudan, have spent a total of 5 years in India.. and a year in UAE.. I have a matrimonial proposal from kampala and before taking it forward or considering it seriously I would love to know what life is like in uganda for an indian girl,...how big is the indian community.. is the place safe.. what kindda life style do the indians lead..etc etc.. i have a neverending list of questions as u would understand.. its a question of the rest of my life........hence please please take a few moments off and post a reply if u r from uganda or if u have an idea what is it like to live there.......thanks a lot.... any effort to help is much appreciated :)

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

HI,
    uganda is called 'pearl of africa 'a very right descriptopn of this beautiful green,friendly country.
    I am staying in kamapal for the past 1.6 year.i find this a very good place.local people are very friendly & a vast Indian community.gujaratis make the biggest chunk of indians here.lots of shops,schools,companies owned by indians.

a very active social life .all sort of people,some even 3rd generation indians who have never visited india but follow all religious activities.
    safety is no issue.u can even walk around the city without being even looked at twice.the precaution which is required in any town i.e to be aware of surroundings is required but i guess girls usually are more alert.

go ahaed with the proporsal.u will not regret it.politically, african scenerio can change in days but here we have a very pro Indian president so less chances of unstability.(even indians are not safe in developed economy like australia )so risk is always there.still its much much better country,climate wise its heaven(not hot not cold throughout the year)

pragati

3. mulani

mulani New IL'ite

hi dear,..thanks for posting nice information about How is life in Kampala-Uganda.,..nice post,..

4. sripa

sripa New IL'ite

Hello Pragati,

first of ll thank you so much it only because of u i could know something about kampala, would like to know more as me and my family is re locating to kampala by end of this year, i have been born and brought in india,im so much worried about the life over there,would need ur help and would like to know a lot of the culture and life over there, i have a 3 yr old son would like to put him in kg classes, would like to know when does the academic year starts , when are the school vaccations,do we get all our indian items specially grocery over there, in one of ur threads u had mentioned about bringing indian vessels, should i bring from my home town any items i have so much to ask, do we have any temples over there? waiting for ur replay,

regards
    sripa

5. Mahajanpragati

hi sripa,
    kampala is a very nice place .u & ur family will really like it.to answer ur questions
    school year starts from sept but the DPS school starts from march as they follow CBSE .Holidays are in july then again in december followed by another break in april.all school follow different patterns of holidays but this is the general gist.DPS has its own holiday pattern same as in India.
    ur son who is 3 will go to playway school & there are many to choose from......kids get admission throughout the year so donot worry on that account.

u get all utensils but its good to get any specfic brand or type u want.I ,for one got all from here itself but many of my friends brought things from India..........

there are many Indian supermarkeies &t & u get each & everything.to any newcomer things seem costly but it is not so.....
    there are 3 gurudwaras & 3 temples........lots of social activities & parties
    it gets cold here so get some warm clothes........
    feel free to ask anything u wan t to

6. sripamenon

sripamenon New IL'ite

Hello Pragati,

I am Sripa's husband and she mentioned to me that you have been of great help to ease her anxieties for this relocation to Kampala. I would be arriving earlier by mid Dec to start up with work and other formalities. The company would be providing me with furnished accomodation with all other bells & wistles, however I am still unsure which locality of Kampala it would be.

Once I have settled in, I would eventually bring family by Jan or Feb of 2011. Looking forward to meet you in person. If you feel there is anything that I should do as a pre-requisite before my arrival, please do let me know. Also, feel free to ask anything that you may require from India and I can bring them along. I would be travelling from South India (Coimbatore) so be my guest for anything you may require.

Cheers,
    Sujith

7. Mahajanpragati

dear Mr Sujith,
    most welcome to u & ur family in Kampala.i & my family would love to meet u & ur family.once u are here we can get in touch.

i guess the company would have provided u with all the information .u & ur family need yellow fever vaccination,visa is on arrival,.............

it rains everyday & tends to get little chilly so be prepared .

its best to settle down before getting the family. i, also joined my hubby only after a month.

thanks,for offering to get things for us from India but as i mentioned in last post that we get all Indian things there is really no need.

but as u will be starting a new house ,try to get the things which make u & ur family comfortable .
    once again,Welcome to Pearl of Africa(Uganda)
    pragati

8. jklia1973

jklia1973 New IL'ite

Hi ! I am Jatin from INDIA and shifting to Kampala

I am planning to shift with family,(My wife,daughter age -12 years 06 months and son 9 years-6 months.

Is the school admission open In DPS and what is the fees for DPS.per child per year.If you have contact nos. and e-mail of some good INDIAN schools .

Is it safe for them in Kampala.Is the ragging in school for new incomer an issue in kampala?

How much safe Kampal for womens and girls .

Thanks ,

Jatin

9. Mahajanpragati

hi,
    kampala is safe for any women who believes in basic safety of never trusting a stranger,avoiding deserted places..............so generally as safe as any average indian city.
    I have no idea of fee structure of DPS as my son is not student there but i guess its about $ 500 + for a term.there are 3 terms in a year.admission is given all year around .

i have not heard about any ragging issues.class strength is small as only indian students are there so i guess teacher keeps eye open for any bullying or ragging issues.

u have daughters going to higher classes as per their ages .higher education is not comparable to Indian standards.

pragati

10. jklia1973

jklia1973 New IL'ite

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

How much a expenses for a family of 2+2 for moderately levish lifestyle.

What UGANDAN people look at INDIANS ? I mean are they prejudiced with INDIAN behaviour and living style or mannerism?

We all are vegitarian.Is the vegitarian food available easily?

Once again thank you very much for the prompt reply.

We are in Ahmedabad.Do let us know any work if you have/information you need and oblige.

Thanks and regards,

Jatin