1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How I reduced weight …..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Feb 12, 2011.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Suddenly it was the eve of our departure to India. The past few weeks I had been working myself into a frenzy both at home and at work tying up all loose ends. :spin

It was packing time! I brought out all the silk saris that I thought I might need. They were all lovely.

A red one with gold checks, a purple with gold border given by my sis-in-law, a lovely pale onion pink , a marine blue given by my mother, the multicolored stripes given by one co-sister, and another maroon, and a brick red- all given by someone or the other. I would make them all happy wearing the saris they gave, I thought.

Then there were a few of my favorites, moss green with a lovely red border, a periwinkle blue and a steel-grey. I also took some old saris for daily wear, planning to leave them in India, returning with some brand new ones!

Spreading them amongst the four check-in luggage, we completed the packing after an hour. Wow, what an aerobic workout! I was sweating with all that tucking and pushing and pressing down to get the zippers to close!

Time to weigh them! Attaching the electronic scale, my husband and I took turns lifting each one. After the aerobics this was weight-training.

Turned out all the bags were overweight! Yeah runs in the family!

Out had to come some of those heavy silk saris. Blue or maroon, red or green, pink or purple? It was decision making time. Believe me it was no-rocket science! It was much more difficult! Witsend

I took out one color then put it back and took out two other colors then put one back in..... This taking out and putting back continued for sometime….. If you could calculate the number of permutations of “in-out” one can do with these ten-twelve saris I assure you, I did every single one of them. About after twenty minutes I glanced at my husband – he was looking daggers at me. :rant

This definitely was an ANAN moment - Annal Nokikkondirunthaar Agnikann Naayaganaaga!

I hastily took out some saris at random and then weighed the cases again. Whew! Finally we were just this close to allowable weight. My husband locked the baggage with lightning speed lest I changed my mind and started exchanging the saris again.

Needless to say I ended up wearing a couple of saris twice at unexpected occasions. But I made sure that the company was different each time.

Vanity, thy name is kkrish!! Hee, Hee!:biggrin2:

So…”Aaall iizzz (was) well”.

Well, if you think I reduced weight after this packing exercise you are right; I did ... a few grams.

Oh by the way, the title should really read, “How I reduced weight from my check-in baggage”.:-D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    4 people like this.

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Bhargavi has created this cult of spin in thread titles. Vaazhga Bhargavi - thalaivi of title vaippor sangam!

Actually you should take less silk sarees in luggage, then you can buy some new ones in India, How izzz it? I can see another agnikann ANAN from your hubby!

3. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Kamala.....laughing reading your post..but certainly true with most of the ladies, including me....I start the packing 15 days ahead everytime and the excess luggage problem arises...and my DH is like....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....But I guess he has learnt to put up with me on this issue.....

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Bhargavi has created this cult of spin in thread titles. Vaazhga Bhargavi - thalaivi of title vaippor sangam!

Thanks Peter Parker for your first Feedback. I hadn't observed this - I will go back and look at Bhargavi's posts. I first wrote something and later ended with this...as usual

Actually you should take less silk sarees in luggage, then you can buy some new ones in India, How izzz it? I can see another agnikann ANAN from your hubby!

I came to India mainly for a family wedding within 5days of my arrival - not much time to buy sarees and get all the accompanying paraphernalia ready because of other functions prior to that.
    Actually I bought a few silk sarees and had to leave them in India because of the same weight problem - this time Adayar Anadha Bhavan sweets and snacks and "Kalyana Patchanam" won priority over sarees. Atleast next time I will have two new saris ready in India!:)

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Shuba! I feel much better now that I have company! Great minds think alike - we'll always be like this I guess and our husbands will always go "grrrrrr!" :)

6. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Interesting to read Kamala !!
    Actually I came in looking.......how kamala lost her weight...let me get some tips before I take my trip back home.........hahahaha.......so thats the secret of losing a few grams doing packing, repacking, removing and putting them back !!
    Wonderful !!

7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Even I came in thinking you had written about losing weight.
    For me the problem is mostly when I leave India,it is always GRRRR.with hubby.Last time it was excess weight when we left Chennai,we were asked to remove some from the boxes and re arrange,hubby was furious .We started re arranging and he was making faces,saying that the dolls I bought for Navaratri was the culprit,but even when I said no he refused to believe,but finally he felt sheepish when he discovered that my daughter's story books were ....What I bought for Golu hardly weighed.Nowadays he is extra careful ..............naturally...........

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your lovely feedback Sudha! Sorry to have disappointed you ... naan weight enge kurraitthen - adhe overweight aaga thaan Bhaaratha mannil kaal vaithen!

As if tht is not enought I brought back Adayar Anandha Bhavan with me ...so no hope for me...:)

From now on I am thinkg of wearing heavy silk saris one day and the new lightweight saris the next so I can be happy I lost weight with every day measuring! enna solreenga!

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kanaka! You too had the problem? Don't all husbands always target on whatever we bought only adds to the problem?
    It seems now some airlines have limited to only one baggage. Now I really have to plan properly from next trips on.

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

your truly had me in there with the title kamala.:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh