How Has Diwali Changed For You?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Amica, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

All year, I'm happy and I rarely recall the past. Then along comes Diwali. It makes me think of my childhood home and how much life has changed.

So I'm wondering ... how has Diwali changed over the years for you? How did your FOO celebrate? How do you celebrate now?

2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

In my parents' home, preparations would start days ahead with the arrival of our Maharaj. He and his assistant showed up every year and stayed for a few days before moving on to the next house. He cooked piles of savories and vast quantities of delicious mitthai. Although we weren't allowed in the kitchen, he would always find a way to slip us some goodies. :D

These days, I make the goodies myself and in much smaller quantities. We also buy some mitthai from the store — which was a major taboo back then. I love making sweets and doing it my way. But I still wonder how things work back home. Do special cooks still visit in the days before Diwali? Does anyone still have time to make stuff at home?

Back then, our home was like Grand Central Terminal with the daily procession of visitors — friends and family, all dressed-up and bearing mitthai and dried fruits.

Now, we have parties — mostly on weekends. No more open houses. The annual Diwali parties are the highlight of the year. I love dressing up in fancy duds, attending garbas, decorating, eating too much and then there's the rare sight of DH in Indian garb. [​IMG]

The only constant in our lives are the poojas. The traditions carried over and passed down through the generations remain unchanged. No matter how old we get, with whom we share our homes or where we choose to live, we take our traditions with us. :thumbsup:

Some days, I long for the Diwali of my childhood — the torans, the string lights, the colorful kandeels. I miss the scent of the air, heavy with ghee, sugar and fireworks. I miss the mountains of ghar ka mitthai and savories. And, most of all, I miss the constant stream of visitors.

But then I look at my DH and my current life and home and I smile contentedly. There's nowhere else I'd rather be. [​IMG]

3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Good post.
    But I liked your last two sentences because that is how I feel about Deepavali or any other day.
    Happy Deepavali to you and your family!
    Vaidehi

Itsmylife143, PavithraS and Amica like this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, @vaidehi71! Happy Diwali to you and yours, too. [​IMG]

Share your Diwali memories? I love seeing how everything changes the minute we marry. :lol:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  5. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Will do next week. Sure takes a different way of celebrating Deepavali.

Amica likes this.
  6. DhanalakshmiTG

DhanalakshmiTG Bronze IL'ite

Diwali Wishes in Advance to all..

During childhood, will eagerly wait for diwali celebration and count the days to wear new dress.. Start to use crackers before a week with my sis and cousins by daily evening:beer-toast1:, after completing home work.. Memorable things in whole life :banana::banana::banana:.

At present, we both are working.. Will go home town for diwali celebrations.. Mom used to prepare muruku, adhirasam, kothuma urundai, gulab jamun and bholi, thats all our sweets list :):):):).. Dad usually don't prefer to buy sweets.. Now a days Diwali leave is to take rest and spend time at home.

My home town is Kumbakonam.. A day before, we usually go roaming on bazaar streets by evening time with friends and cousins like a gang:D:D.. There will be heavy rush and start to sell a product with slashed price.. Usually girls like to buy things like bindi, earrings, bangles or any other accessories, we do the same..

Next day Diwali.. Need to wake up early at morning.. My mom no need to wake up us.. My cousins homes are nearby to our home, Thy will wake up us by using crackers.. They will keep crackers at our home only.. With the heavy sound, we both wake up.. That was the happiest thing for them during childhood:).. But now, some of our cousins are not there, everyone busy with job and some are working abroad... Missing those days:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:..

At morning, will go to temple on the day of Diwali, then have sweets and b'fast.. Then usual thing watching tv of special programs, later will start meeting with cousins/friends and gossip will go on.. We have a great time by evening, will keep crackers like flower pot, sanguchakaram, rocket by night time...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2016
    maggi32, periamma, Upscale and 6 others like this.
  7. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Back then new dresses were bought thrice in an year in our household. That's Deepavali, Pongal and birthdays. So shopping for new deepavali dress is a much anticipated day.

Crackers: I had two elder brothers and we used to prepare a huge cracker list, knowing that our dad will get only 1/5 of what is in the list. We used to start bursting crackers atleast two weeks prior the function.

Sweets and savories: Though that's mom's area we used to give our choices. It was prepared atleast one week prior and we distributed widely to relatives and neighbours.

Now we are buying dresses year along just earmarked one for deepavali. No Crackers. Made Gulab jamun that's it I could manage.

maggi32, periamma, Chocolatey and 4 others like this.
  8. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

before 5 years me and my family celebrate deepavali like hell but since we are all far away from each other and its one of function which bring us that too only for 2 or 3 days we spent our time together than celebrating it :) i am not feeling sad though as 3 days full of gossips, gupshup corner, foods, tv shows, shopping and of course rest :D total change over of celebration to care :)

Amica, Itsmylife143 and vaidehi71 like this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Very cute description of childhood Diwali! :D

Oooh! Yummy sweets! :yum:

We're all in this together. I miss the crackers, too.

Happy Diwali to you and your family, @DhanalakshmiTG! :)

DhanalakshmiTG likes this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

You are so right! These days, shopping all year has taken away some of the magic of festival clothes.

I remember the daily rationing of crackers, too. :lol:

Happy Diwali to you and your family, @blackbeauty84! :)