1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Handle This Behavior

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Starkgirl, Feb 21, 2019.

1. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

@Starkgirl Since you think it is rude to ask MIL to leave early why don’t you stay with your father for sometime with hired help. This is not about who wins but about your sanity and peace of mind. Ask your dad if he is ok with your stay though. If he is ok, go ahead with a positive frame of mind. Focus on bonding with your little child. Leave MIL and associated negativity behind. I assume you have a understanding husband. Tell him to book your return tickets the same time he books MIL’s departure tickets.
    Your MIL will not change and will continue being a part of your life specially with the birth of her grandchild. Learn to put your foot down about her visits during inappropriate times.

Starkgirl and Sunshine04 like this.
  2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Let me share two experiences with you of similar situation.
    First my own sister. 10 years back she delivered a premature baby. The delivery happened so suddenly before my mom could plan anything her MIL took over the kingdom and took the baby to her house and started taking care of baby. Her argument was my mom is a first time grandma can't handle a pre mature baby who is as small as my sister's palm. She volunteered to do everything then started taunting my mom how irresponsible my mom is. When my mom tried her best to do she never agreed to let her do her duties. All this put so much stress on my sister that she couldn't breast feed the kid . Milk never came out. Just 3months of so much drama, vast amount of stress for my sister, one night unable to put up with all this she packed her bag left MIL's house in mid night took taxi n went to her home. Told hubby if u want come or stay with your mom. Once she went to her house my mom was able to do her bit for her daughter . Slowly things fell is place.

Second is of my manager, same situation as yours . No mom and taken care by MIL . Usual problems by MIL like you mentioned. She royally chose to ignore all the things only for the fact that she can't run back to her mom. She says had I taken stress I would have suffered and my kid would suffer ultimately . Not that there was no drama . MIL left suddenly packing her bags seeing DIL is not respecting her much. In this case ignoring MIL made her feel that DIL is not respecting her.

Bottom line is : Take full care of yourself and ignore your MIL as much as you can. Ignore so much that she feels she's not required anymore to take care of you n baby and volunteers to go back herself. Don't ever react to her tauntings. Don't take any stress on you. Not even a bit. My sister case I explained because of that. Taking it on you will affect you n baby at this time.
    If unable to ignore and tolerate all this drama go n stayed with dad with a hired help as one of the replies says above. That's also a good solution .
    I hope you are able to find a comfortable solution to this sooner than later.

Amica, Starkgirl and MalStrom like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

OP, if your DH is reluctant to send your MIL back early then at least insist on hiring a nanny to help you with the baby so you can catch some breaks during the day. You need to eat well and get good rest now. Since MIL is not going to help get someone who will.

Amica and Starkgirl like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Just a wild idea -- have your dad come over to your house. Say he needs the change.

I will never be able to understand this funda of Indian families -- HOW can a new mom be put through such avoidable trouble. Why doesn't the mom's and therefore the baby's well-being get top priority. Such non-help people should stay away till the baby is at least 3 months old.

Aarushi, Amica, pinkgal and 2 others like this.
  5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@Starkgirl You have gone through a difficult phase. Be kind to yourself . Your MIL has lot of anger against you. This is the most vulnerable phase so she is unleashing it. Inform your dad the exact situation what you wrote and ask him to look for a helper. Call relatives and ask them if anyone can come and help you for a day or two . Once you find a helper just pack your bags and leave. Please send don't MIL back. That will come back and haunt you forever. That will always be used against you.Don't expect much from husband either. Just think this way if same thing was done to your daughter will you be fine. As women we tend to ignore our needs for family peace. She is just looking to start a fight so she can become the victim . Don't give her any opportunity to spoil your life long relationship with husband. Be open and tell husband each and everything so he knows.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Amica, Starkgirl and yellowmango like this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Tell your husband you want to go to your father's place.
    Tell him you are weak and vulnerable and still grieving and getting abused in your own house.
    Look him in the eye and tell him you may never ever forget this .

If he can't stand up to his monster mother ,the least he can do is leave you and your baby to an abuse safe place.

Women like your mil deserve to rot alone.
    Shameless stone hearted woman!
    Indian daughter in laws should have the option of getting restraining order against this kind of mil.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Amica, pinkgal, nakshatra1 and 4 others like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

This will continue until her beloved son doesn’t give strict warning to her.
    Sadly most of the Indian men are puppets of their parents. Inspite of knowing the ill treatment towards their wives they still can’t do anything towards it.

Sunshine04, Starkgirl and yellowmango like this.
  8. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Thank you everyone for your response.
    I have spoken to my dad and he is happy to take care of me, finding a help is not big issue , that can be arranged once I plan.
    DH doesn’t want to send his mom back to her place nor wants to send me to my dads place , he is scaring me by giving excuse of baby being very young and she might catch something if I go there.
    I have already expressed my situation with D.H. , he knows all too clearly what his mom is doing but it’s just that he doesn’t want to do anything. He do stand up for me and ask his mother to back off but it doesn’t do anything. He thinks since she is old we should just ignore her and let her be as she is, even if it is affecting me way too deeply.
    He doesn’t invite her to our place but if she comes he says he can’t ask her to leave and now she told me that from now on she will come frequently to be with us.
    I am planning to go for therapy in coming weeks and asked D.H. join me too.
    I don’t know whether I am right or wrong , I don’t know what I should do... everyone says since she is old I should let her be but does being old give them privilege to behave like a spoiled brat? And how much I should endure ? Isn’t it necessary that one should realise the consequences of their behavior?
    I am planning to see till mid March and if things doesn’t change I will go to my dads.
    DH can stay with his mom.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Your dh is clearly spineless.
    What about your mental sanity.?
    Won't it affect a newborn, if the mom is sad,depressed, sleep deprived,??

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Just pack your bags and ask your father to come pick you up. You have made very reasonable requests. If your DH won't stand up for his wife and child then you don't owe anyone anything. Mother and son can enjoy each other's company all they want.

shravs3, SinghManisha and nakshatra1 like this.