1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How good are frozen snacks from indian stores in U.S. ?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by ProudIndian, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Hello All

I am wondering how good/healthy are these indian snacks from frozen section? Since none of they are FDA approved, some don't even have expiry date. Are they safe? For how long can we freeze?

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Frozen food is not good for health whether Indian or otherwise... It's worse in Indian stores as they hardly hv expiry date or if they have one its already expired. I have personally went and complained about it to the owner a few times of tamarind paste and kasuri methi being expired.... Remember theses are not even frozen....so you can imagine on frozen foods then...

3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

They don't have an expiry date, but many items have a "manufactured on" date. I use that to decide. But generally I hardly buy Indian frozen food (except Deep Food's Patra Bajji - YUMM) since I prefer to cook everything at home from scratch

4. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

But in India, in big shops like Spencers Hyper and Big Bazaar, frozen food is available with clear labelling of expiry date.

I have been regularly eating prawn and seer fish (surmai) in frozen form from Spencers Hyper for the past three years. (belongs to the company, Sumeru ). So far, not in a single instance I faced a poor quality stuff.

5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

I buy Paneer and paratha from frozen section and always check expiry date. Not sure on other frozen items if there is any expiration date mentioned.