1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How Early We Should Book Flight Tickets To India? Any Inputs?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They ran out of my food, twice. Going in and coming back. I got fruits and dessert for my inbound journey of 14ish hrs. Outbound, I had carried something from home. Thankfully my kids eat nonvegetarian food. We were in business.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Wow! That sucks, especially in business. My seatmate's vegetarian meal selection was not recorded and they ran out of food as the flight was full. The crew bent over backwards for her. One of the flight attendants gave up her own crew meal and they brought her a nice tray of vegetarian sides for the remaining meals.

gknew likes this.
  3. Laks09

Good to know! I must have rotten luck. Plus I was expecting better in business. DH didn't help matters either by telling me how much better the service and food in Qatar/LH is.

gknew likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for your inputs @Rihana.
    Yeah..you are right.the prices are high in the summer and am looking for before-summer prices.will check it out.

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

As soon as you can. We have already booked our June flight. I use kayak.com with their flexible dates option (+/-3 days). Usually best way to compare many airlines and website like Expedia in one place.
    I have flown with many European carriers- Swiss air is probably my favorite. Lufthansa and KLM are close second.

gknew likes this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for the reply.
    Which airline did you choose? I thought this is too early to book. After reading all the replies, I think I am already late. Will check the kayak website too.

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

We are on west coast, flying out of San Francisco. We are flying with Lufthansa on our way to Delhi and Swiss air on the way back.

gknew likes this.
  8. Laks09

Choose your airline based on the city in India you are flying into. Even if there is a small price difference, it's best to fly into your destination straight through. I have flown into Mumbai and traveled home with a little baby, it is something I will never do again. Back then, we didn't have direct flights to many cities in Inida(goodness, it's been ages). Clearing customs in Mumbai and waiting for a plane to take you home to your final destination is a pain. I would avoid that in a heartbeat.
    Look at flights that fly into your destination in India and try to book accordingly. When traveling to India, I always fly directly out of my city and back. That way, jetlag, kids, etc don't have to clear customs in a different city and take a domestic flight(in both countries).

gknew likes this.
  9. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @Laks09.
    I don't have direct flight to my destination city(Coimbatore). I should either travel from one of these cities. Chennai, Bangalore, Mumbai or Delhi.
    I am just looking at the price difference and the least travel time to my destination city.

10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you @nuss.
    I am flying from East coast.I see some Swiss air planes from my place too. I will check it out.