1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How does your laptop/internet affect your house-keeping activities?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by tinku, Dec 7, 2011.

1. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Dear ILs,
    I am much bothered to know how far your laptop or the internet takes you away from maintaining a good, clean home?

For me, a home-maker, I keep my house clean, get some help from my maid too, but the thing is she comes at 10.30 a.m. or 11 a.m and till that I am glued to my laptop after I send my DH off to work at 9.30 a.m.

I sit on my laptop after my DH goes untill my maid comes. This which happened sometimes is now slowly becoming a routine. I mean the internet is trying to take me over. Previously, I used to walk in this time around the house and also do some cleaning work or start preparing lunch, but now this is changing.
    Now the house becomes clean only at 12.30 p.m. or by 1 p.m.

It affects some of my duties which I do now-a-days after 11 a.m. i.e. after the maid comes. If there is no such invention called a laptop or the internet, I think I will never need a maid. I can organise myself and maintain a clean home in a much early time of the day.

How do you all manage your house and the internet? Am I becoming irresponsible?

2. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Lol...my avatar speaks for me :)

Internet has an insidious way of taking over our lives... there was a time when i was called a "net maniac" by my family because it was as if the laptop was almost a part of my body... I would carry it everywhere. I needed the net for everything...There were days when i had been totally involved with browsing or chatting on the net with family and friends that i forgot to cook. I had to keep an alarm so that i was atleast ready with food when the children return home from school. I too felt that i was being irresponsible ...

The root of the problem...i was addicted to the net because of the feelings of loneliness. I was a recent SAHM and children and DH would leave for their school/office and I had nothing to do. They would leave at 7.30 in the morning and children would return at 2.30pm and DH at 6.30pm. It was either sleep or the net. I didnt want to go back to sleep so started using the net. Internet replaced the need to have someone around...to talk to ..to listen to. I started going out on walks soon after the children and dH went to school/work. It not only made me a fit, also gave me an opportunity to meet and talk to other people in our building. I was missing out on meeting real people because i was involved with my virtual friends on the net. I made a conscious decision to avoid using the net even if i had the time. I would read the newspaper/magazine, take up some creative project (like stitching, fab. painting etc), or sort my childrens toys and clothes shelf ( a major task because it is always in a mess) which took me away from the laptop. I allowed myself to use the computer only when the chores were complete.

I am still fighting the battle of my addiction to net and taking control of my real life... there are days when i lose track of time...but again there are days when i dont touch the laptop at all. So it is all about knowing and setting your priorities... but you will be ok because you have identified the problem and it is now up to you to decide what you want to do about it.

3. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Hi Mansimahi,

True that your avatar speaks for you than your words. From what I read from your post I can understand that I am a typical case of yours. Couldnt control myself off the net though I have identified the fact long ago.

I too purchased a few books to keep myself off the net but I have skimmed only through a few pages. But long ago when internet was not popular in India, I used to finish reading a book whenever I bought one fast. Atleast in a week's time. But now, I wanted to read, but Internet wouldnt allow me to.

As you said the best way is to control ourselves on this issue. And look after our work which demands more attention than surfing the web.

Thanks for peeping in to comment.