How Do You Manage This Situation ??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Oct 1, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi guys..

Finally I am able to land up a job but it is full time 8.30 to 5 pm.I got a clerical
    Job but it’s paying $10 per hour coz am also restarting after 9 years.

Few questions raised by my husband and he asked me to think about it..

1) we have to pay for before and after care.

2) he says salary won’t come fully and taxes will take some.

3) No help from In-laws or parent’s side to stay when kid is home on emergency days.

4) main worry..schools have on and off holidays few days a month or some delayed closing days,spring break, Christmas breaks etc.He says how will I deal with that as he cannot work from home often and he says nanny or daycare is more amount that my salary.He feels it does not make sense and I should wait till the kid can independently be home which could be atleast 13 or 14 years.He didn’t want to mention coz he was afraid that I would feel discouraged.He wanted me to think about this.

I understand either people have help in the form of family,or work from home,or earn high pay so that help from nanny or daycare is easier.

With my situation,do I have any option?Is there any ways I can manage this situation?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Vaikuntha likes this.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In MFJ tax filing status, when one spouse is a high-income-earner, the taxes for the other one who is on the $10/hour income could seem much higher than single unmarried tax payer would pay on that very same poor earnings. The second income of the family is taxed at the marginal rate, and the take-home (after taxes) pay would likely be between $6 and 7$/hour, after State and payroll taxes are also deducted.

A (financially) well married stay at home spouse should consider half of the other spouses's income as her own. IRS does that, so why shouldn't we? When that mindset really sets in, the stay at home spouse should focus on online trainings and certifications or some manner of continuing education to prepare for full time employment by the time their children grow up to be responsible pseudo adults, and can be trusted to be safe until mum/dad get home from work.
    Yes.

for extra credit: How to close America's income gap

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Vaikuntha and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi thanks for the reply. I also recently did some Certifications and put them in the resume. This was the only one I was able to land.

I can update more but will one still find a job after kid grows up?coz I will be in mid forties and a very long career break..

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

For now....you must compute your real wages+intangible-benefits and balance that against the costs of hassles you'd have to bear in order to go somewhere to work. I can see a worksheet calculation for you.

You would do this at any age.

anika987 likes this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Anika

From what I have understood about all your past threads, your reason to go for a job is that neighbors think badly of you. So the only question you need to ask yourself is "will my friends stop asking me what I do all day". If the answer is yes, then go for the job. If not, then don't go, since you don't even want to work in the first place, right?!

Sunshine04, anika987 and Amulet like this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

It’s not about that.

I got a job offer now and I don’t mind taking it up and seeing how it works.There is no harm trying.Its about the pay for my hubby.He feels we will end up paying more than earning.

My question here is since kids have holidays..I might have to put them in daycare as I don’t have other help.hubby said that daycare or nanny is more costly than my salary and it isn’t worth the hassle.

I wanted to know if there is any other way to work the school days off thing so that I can take up this job.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Good point. I am not really good at recall of past posts of everyone.
    If getting employed is only for that reason, there are many online shops that print calling cards for independent contractors. Anika987 can print a calling card with some fanciful complicated service offering, or even a generic "life trainer" or "consultant". People usually do not ask anyone to divulge the income or client-lists. So all will be well in the life of Anika.

I have always had a calling card, even in breaks when I did not go to any work. It is just to give them one in return, when someone offers me one. One time I had the title "Naturalist" on my card. Some people assumed it was the name of a magazine I worked for.... If they had really asked me what I did, I'd have told them that I observed Nature, and sometimes also took photos.

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

There is no other way other than hiring a nanny / desi nanny or a back up day care which will take on demand or juggling your job schedules / vacations to coincide with kids off school days

first check school after care system and check if they work on school holidays , I don’t think so but that would be a start . In My opinion school day cares are less expensive and good for your daughter , she will get all the play time needed and when she comes home it will simply be homework , eat , spend time with you and sleep ...but you may have a waiting line ....

Second , your husband needs to be fully onboard with you going to work ... if he thinks your earning is going to cost him more , it will come up multiple times and will be a reason for dissatisfaction and regrets for him and you ...

Your husband needs to understand some times he needs to prioritize the kids over work and try to make his schedule work as per kids schedule ... if only you are responsible for day care ... you will quit in no time as you are not used to the managing stress around these kid care issues ... ask her husband to get a formal agreement for some work from home days and if he could take it when needed like school holidays ....

He needs to be totally in and willing to work with you on making your job a success , otherwise in no time you will leave the job as you are all used to a way of life ....

Vaikuntha, Amulet and anika987 like this.
  9. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@anika987
    congratulations! Take this job as an stepping stone.
    Why dont you take a paper and write down the numbers?
    Like in a typical month - how much salary after taxes , how many school holidays ( kinda average) , how much would be spent on before/after school care, daycare in case of school holiday. My advice would be to take it if you just about break even.

Remember there will be added expenses like transport, more eating out/takeaways, coffees breaks at work etc. etc, dont include that . Some investment will go into establishing a financial independence - it is worth the overheads

Getting a job after a long break and settling in takes some time and effort , so be mentally prepared. You will not be able to plan for everything now, you have to be flexible and be willing to work hard. After 6 months reevaluate if it was worth it, if there is growth opportunity or what should you do to make it more worth the while.

This has been going on in your head for so long , time to take the plunge. You have a good 8 - 9 months before summer. Consider that a trail . If it works then ok, If it doesnt , you know you have given it a good shot, and time to move on.

anika987, Vaikuntha and startinganew like this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You will have to make your own arrangements for the days when school is off but you don't have holiday. People typically have nannies, back-up care, babysitter, trade with friends or neighbors if you are lucky, family help if you are even luckier or one parent takes the day off. Paid childcare for these days will be significantly more expensive than your salary.

anika987 and Vaikuntha like this.