1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Handle This?in Laws Give Unhealthy Food To Baby When I Am Not In House

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mirrorimage, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

:worship2: :worship2:

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Geeta is talking about another lady in a different post my friend. Not you.

sindmani and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@mirrorimage

Relax and understand what I said. I have no malicious intent.

When you wash your dirty linen in public everybody is free to assume whatever they like according to their perspectives and you cannot accuse them later for wrong perceptions. You never said specifically that you treat your in-laws as servants but your tone implied that according to me and many others.

I quoted some family friends just to highlight the trust factor. I do understand all are different but we can all learn a thing or two from others. It was definitely not to run you down.

"In another post the OP vented and after so many members showed concern and advised her, she turned back on them to say that their perceptions were wrong. It was just not fair." This did not refer to you; in some other post, someone else..... When I am communicating with you directly for the first time, how can I talk about you as a third party? When you wash your dirty linen in public everybody is free to assume whatever they like according to their perspectives and you cannot accuse them later for wrong perceptions.

4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

True.elders help in childcare childcare can be an overwhelming task .
    So,Op , try to discuss with ur in-laws lovingly about importance of fruits and healthy snacks. They are providing child care when u r working . This ensures that u work peacefully in the office. So little appreciation and compliments will make them happy.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  5. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

@mirrorimage -
    Your In laws are just visiting you, so this is kind of a temporary 'problem'.
    I found your post more of a vent than one looking for a solution.
    If it's a vent , then we as moms understand your concern. And they will go back sooner or later and you will be free to do as you want. Moreover, you have already asked them once to feed the kid healthy foods. The most you can do is ask again. Or next time , you see the culprit biscuit in your kid's hand , take it and trash it in front of them . You can also use the excuse of the pediatrician stressing on feeding children healthier options. But you should realize one thing that your in laws might not be doing this intentionally.My own dad wanted to let my kid taste tea (after cooling of course) and although I might have got all too hyper at that point of time , I see no harm in it now . I am not saying that one should give tea or biscuits etc to kids but all this is out of love .And the kids too want to have a taste of everything the adults are eating.Most kids like to eat out of other's plates .So it is also possible that your kid was attracted to the biscuit your PIL was eating .
    In a nutshell, don't be too hard on them or yourself. There are many ways to diplomatically make them understand what you want for your kid.

sindmani likes this.
  6. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

OP, you can handle it all without creating aggressive situation at home. First it is temporary, secondly it's just a matter a few hour sin the weekend.

First show them some videos, or take them on visit to pediatrician so they understand clearly about ingredients. After that start taking the biscuits in your bag if you still find them at home. Politely convey that it's not good for kid so you would eat it instead.

The previous generation have memory and alertness issues, so they can't take as responsible decisions as we are.So keep reminding again and again, and in front of your husband. Involve your husband as they will take his advice kindly tan yours.

If all else fails, your final option is to put in day care. But then he is safer with grandparents, right? Ideally, a mother should be with small child 24/7 but our present circumstances make it impossible for many. So we have to make the best of the situation with lots of patience even if we find it unfair.Patience give big rewards.

7. Rosey2018

Rosey2018 Bronze IL'ite

Maybe they just want to give him a tear? How does he feel?

Does he eat healthy all the time? Tell them if u give him a snack please offer him some fruit too. If they seen him eating fruit they’ll give it to him. Maybe they just wanna treat him.