1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do you bear the family's financial responsibilities?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SGBV, Mar 14, 2013.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends

Its a long time nagging question, that bothers me a lot.

In my family, we share our financial responsibilities as proportion to our salaries. I earn a bit more than my husband; hence my part of the financial contribution to our family is a bit more than what he is sharing.

I pay half of my salary for the EMI, and then spend on my own needs, such as my meals and accommodation (if I am out of home) periodic medical, facials and other beauty stuff, and the gifts for my child. Whereas my husband spend on the family stuff plus transportation. It is just fine with us.

After this, we both save our remaining salary on our own savings accounts. From which we spend on our personal luxuries or on our FOOs. Of course we inform each other on what is spent and what is remaining, but this is not on purpose, we just casually do so.

Often times my mom claims that my family doesn't look like a "real" family. She quotes that my dad used to share all his salary with my mom, and it was my mom who plans, spends and saves for the family. Same with my uncles and others.

Recently one of my cousin, of my age visited our home and shared the same thing with us. My mom says, it is just me (in the universe) who spends more on family matters than the husband, and never question on husband's spending or savings. She of course confuses more with my husband's past, and I know it takes time for her to accept his changes.

I checked this with my real life friends and colleagues... They also apparently have the same policy as my mom, i.e Husband spends on all the family matters, and wife saves. Husband shares his salary with wife, and then wife spends.

Their reasoning is "men are not good at family spending", if left careless, they will become spendthrifts or their parents (ILs) will easily drain them.

Well, is it just me who is on the wrong end? or am I doing just fine?

Friends, please analyse!!!

2. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

As long as both of you are meeting your financial goals it is ok. You are saving for your kids and your old age? That is important and if you are doing that and none of you have any issues it is ok.

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Well, saving is there, but saving in a bank as cash is very limited. We rather invest on other stuff, which is of course a business, but in fact savings too.
    This is where my folks are uncomfortable... They find it strange as I should save at least 50% of my salary as cash in back for the kids' future.... Am confusing.

4. nicegirlradhi

nicegirlradhi Gold IL'ite

Hi SGBV,

I think you should ignore the comments from your friends or even your mom. Just imagine, if your MIL has to say the same thing to your DH about controlling your finances/salary by him, would you agree with it?

I dont think that only wife need to save while husband need to spend for family etc. I think that would even be gross unfair to some extent. My suggestion is, make your salary(or even your DH salary) as investments together, spending for family, and personal expenses stuff. And you can do that as per your both salary proportion

1 person likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your suggestion Radhi

Our mistake (Not sure whether it is a mistake or not) is that we don't spend things together. Husband goes to supper market or wherever to buy the needful household stuff as per the list given by my mom or servant. He does consult with me, but it is more of a routine stuff. He does it as per his convenience. As long as the things are on table when we need them, I don't mind who purchased this.

On the other hand, my EMI is automatically deducted by the bank... I do the other stuff when it is needed.

Since it is a practice in our place, specially with those SAHMs those do the shopping and budgeting of their home, my mom might be confused, I guess.

On the other hand, I had trouble with my H via my in laws when we had this joint account. Savings or spending, it was always a problem for us before. So, we decided to keep it separate for now, and do the needful as per our responsibility.

6. nicegirlradhi

nicegirlradhi Gold IL'ite

i undertstand SGBV and i have seen some of you threads where you mentioned abut your previous relationship probs with you husband and in laws.

but what i mean is every marriage is different and no two couples can be compared. so if your current arrangement is working, i suggest you to make it more organized where in both of you feel trusted and comfortable rather than following the mundane rules of the society.

i dont even want finances as last thing that may create further relationship probs for you:)

7. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

You are going in the right tract. Don't deviate. Its always money which is the root cause of all problems. When everything is going smoothly why are you bothered about others comments. Do how you feel listen to others advices but do what you want.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

We are perfectly fine with this arrangement, and now a days, we don't even discuss about it unless there is a serious change. So, I too think I should ignore comments and stick with what works for me/us best.

Btw, for my General Knowledge.. May I ask you guys about how you manage your finances if you are a working wife/mom?

9. coolpinky

coolpinky Platinum IL'ite

SGBV,
    Todays world is not the same like the past. Mens opinion has changed. Often we hear the cases where interhange of responsibilities happen.
    In the previous generation men were egositic to ask money from their wives if they are working. Now its not the case they expect equal share in expenditures and they say women should contribute financially also when they demand equality.

As a working lady I dont see anything wrong in you spending more than ur DH. As long as you both have an understanding. Its Ok.
    I see that most of the men hesitated to give money to their wives for running the house. I have my realtives. My father was also not an exception in this case. My mom used to ask him very little money so that she can save it in her own account. But it never happened. Same is the case with my sis. My BIL doesnt give her any money directly. Instead he would pay the bills.

I give some amount to my DH on monthly basis to run the house. I am not sure on he spends it. Because all the bills will be paid by my FIL. I give it to my DH and will not ask any details. Not sure even if ILs are aware of this.
    reason for this arrangement i dont want to give the money directly to my ILs

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for your reply. This is what call cultural sensitiveness I guess. Although, we share most of the things in common, some practices specially the women's role in a family is somewhat different in Sri Lanla. At least I would say, it is clearly a different case in the towns like where I am from.

Its rare to see a woman who begs her husband for her own spending regardless of her earning capacity (be it a SAHM, or working woman). Men suppose to give money to woman, and it is the practice here.
    That's why my mom and friends are confused as the way it is different in my home. But again it is indeed different because the women whom I checked in person aren't working woman. So, they simply get the money from their husband to run the home.

As a working woman, I have no difference than my husband. I am also tired and lazy to budget or plan the spending. I don't expect money from him either.
    I prefer this way, as I am a bit relieved from household shopping, but I have the needful things in hand when needed. Also, I am kind of not used to ask money from others (including my dad when I was studying) for my personal use. If they give, I accept but I never ask for it. So, it is more of helping with my personality.