1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do U Manage In Such Situations.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sindmani, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Good to hear you are feeling better . Since it has been affecting you so much , what's the need to talk to MIL often? Once a week is also bit of a overkill IMO, specially when it is about others gossip. Focus on yourself and the baby.
    Let the FIL and MIL be grumpy about it, once the baby comes you will be super busy. Nothing else will matter . Take care !!

BhumiBabe, Naari and sindmani like this.
  2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

To live peacefully here, I need to talk and smile . every thing is secondary for them. Once my fil told my mom that if I don't talk often he will take extreme steps (I don't know what he meant). Actually they don't like us here away from them. They say to my folks Iam here to spend their sons hard earned money.:frowning:. I am happy untill she speaks irrelevant ones.

3. shan1972

shan1972 Senior IL'ite

That is quite some problem you face.

You seem to be a sensitive person and probably your pregnancy has made you even more so. You need to protect yourself and your unborn child from this stressful scenario. Would strongly suggest you to take up 'Louise Hay'. She believes in the power of positive thoughts. Not just that, let everyone in the family know about it.

Tell all and sundry that you want to expose yourself only to positive thoughts and conversation as much as possible. Someone in your network is bound to poke fun, if only in a good-natured manner. You could then narrate the same to your MIL how for the good of yourself and your child you are trying something new and it upsets that others don't take it seriously enough. I am hoping that including her in the 'be positive and think positive' project would make her think twice about bitching about others to you. In my experience people try to do their best when you explicitly ask for their help

Here's hoping!

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

U nailed it. Now I am scared that the child in the womb may get affected with unwanted talks. I think that was making me realot worried. But no one is going to understand. But now why I am taking a stand is At least I don't want the child to be sensitive like me.otherwise Iam not good in taking stands with my in-laws this openly. Yes I am better than before but I need to guard my life too.when my husband is there I will talk with them . when her son is near she won't talk unwanted stuff. (She knows my husband is not interested and will request her not to talk irrelevant), but I should hear even if I don't like. I am seriously a scapegoat.

5. Sandycandy

Extreme steps ?? Why is he threatening your mother ? I hope your husband knows what his father is upto. ( let me guess, like most men he thinks that his parents could do no wrong).
    Please let your husband know that all this stress is not good for the baby, so for your baby's sake he has to handle the situation . And under all circumstances stay back here , far away from them. I cannot imagine living with people like these.
    I talk to my in laws only to wish for their anniversaries /birthdays / festivals or if they are unwell . The more you indulge with in laws, more chances they have to let you know how terrible and unworthy you are. Works best for me.

Naari and sindmani like this.
  6. Sandycandy

Sindmani, sorry don't mean to rile you up asking all the questions. Please ignore them. You seem to have made peace with the situation and are coexisting with them cordially. So I commend you for that. Focus on the baby and have lots of happy thoughts !! Take care.

sindmani likes this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

My husband is a person who thinks his dad can never go wrong. So what ever he complains from India , he will say "dad I will take care". Then questions to me like " try to get good name, they are saying for good. They want u to do so n so for ur good. my husband does not know they are threatening me directly or indirectly sometimes. No use telling him. He he won't believe. But he gets gyan from his dad everyday that to keep me in place. He is the man of the home. Many complains about my home keeping , my complicated last time pregnancy(placenta previa)(still they r talking about that)
    , now they want me to go to parents home ,they don't like their son taking care of me through out 9 months.but he told that he is going to take care and it was good we are together.
    They could not influence him now is making them angry. So they are bashing peple I know or I like more. Now I understand their situation and better to talk less and get unnecessary talks less. One thing is they stopped insulting me n my family now .so they need some thing else to talk. O understand.

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Sindmani, looks like there is too much going on other than the issue of your MIL gossiping about others, which you have to listen and put up with. But, hearing all you said here in this quote like the PIL conspiracy against you, asking you to do things indirectly through your husband, Dh being too influenced by them etc, it seems to me that the MIL gossip is actually the safest talk for you to engage in with her to avoid all the conspiracy, complaints and to beat their agenda. Just listen to the gossip, how do you care, atleast you are not talking about your own family issues/ arguing? That way MIL will be content and not try to conspire against you and complain to your Dh. Gossip's good here:wink: think of it as watching Hindi drama serials with one those Mil's worried about the entire world :tonguewink:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  9. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I know they are unhappy little with many things around. This gossip issue is less compared to many more I faced in India. True . now since my health issues are stated for not talking much. Now I think they won't bother for few years since I will be busy. But how I wish families where little understanding , I have always wanted a great joint family system for me . I know its fully. But now I am pushed to like to be all alone in a place where I can't see even a car going. But seriously I am happy. Life makes us different. Thanks all. Because even yesterday I slept when they called in our night. My mil told it seems" its few days since I talked with ur wife, now I won't be able to talk to her often". Thank God she understood.

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  10. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Well, on a light-hearted note, you could share your own "gossip" - like talking about stories/drama from the tv shows or books that you follow to your MIL, so you would have juicy details to talk about. If you don't like what she has to say, you can lead the conversation to things you like to talk about. Maybe if you talk enough, she would just give up trying to share her weird gossip and views.

Or maybe not...most MIL's are not so good about taking hints.

Sandycandy likes this.