1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

how do u knead the dough???????

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by amank, Dec 14, 2011.

1. amank

amank New IL'ite

i have been living in usa for 3 + years, doing all housework never did b4 like many of u :) i have been enjoing doing all work exceot one ....KNEADING DOUGH...it makes me feel yuck n i dont enjoy it... so i want to ask yu guys how do u knead the dough any shortcuts or any machines from here or india..anything ...any suggestion????? help:drowning:drowning:drowning

2. priyasudhakar

priyasudhakar Gold IL'ite

hi amank,

try using fork and knead and at last use ur hand to knead properly, else u can try dough maker, just google it . u may have an idea

1 person likes this.
  3. Butterfly04

Butterfly04 Gold IL'ite

try dough makers..no need to touch the dough by hand & definetely it's better than kneading the dough with hand...i'm using it for the past 3+yrs..and MIL is using for so many yrs...

there are many type of dough makers available in the market.. so just try any type..

1 person likes this.
  4. onehonest94

onehonest94 New IL'ite

hi amank

i use food processor for making dough which is very easy & less time consuming.

1 person likes this.
  5. pingpong

pingpong Senior IL'ite

I use Cuisinart Food Processor for making dough. It comes out very soft and takes very less time. Its worth an investment

2 people like this.
  6. onehonest94

onehonest94 New IL'ite

yaa

rite i also use Cuisinart food processor

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP. I dont think kneading dough by hand is so bad. I do like chapathis when I knead the dough by hand. It all depends on how you make it. I dont turn my hand too messy for me to dislike kneading.All it needs is the right way to knead. You will love it. It wont take me more than 5 minutes to make chapathi dough and my hands barely have any leftover flour or mixed dough. Over the yrs , I have improved. All you need is to arrive at right technique.Dont think I have been doing it for ages. I am doing it only from 10-12 yrs and that was before I was married. I am married from 9 yrs.Its like try try again until u get it. Good Luck.

2 people like this.
  8. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Please do not consider it as a 'yucky' job as it is not so bad at all and it is something which you eat. There are many other options for it. I use atta kneader attachment of ultra grinder for kneading my dough in large quantities.Or else i knead it by hand. It is not rocket science. Start with adding little quantity of water and add more if you need it.You will learn it with time.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Look at kneading dough with hand as an exercise. The moment you think it is beneficial to you the yucck factor goes out..and i think until the dough binds you have the sticky feeling..you can always mix it with a fork/ladle.and when it pliable you can start kneading with hand..

it is an exercise, as it give work to the shoulders, arms, and fingers..your motor skills are fine tuned.

And one tip, do not just pour the water into the dough..it will become more squishy. just be patient, it comes with practice.. and if you are still not comfortable, food processors, mixers are the answers..

it is a stress busters, as it allows you to use the dough as a punch bag..the more you punch the more softer your dough..and of course releases all the stress/anger/tension in you..

1 person likes this.
  10. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi amank,

I agree with chocolate and pman. All it takes is practice. I too have used food processor for making chappati or bread dough, but i find the results of making them by hand much better and it hardly takes any time. for chappati/paratha/puri it hardly takes abt 5-10 mins.

Well coming to the technique, everyone has their own technique and i will share mine. I take aata and salt in a wide vessel, make a small well in the center and pour in water and start mixing by pushing atta little by little into the well, add more water as required. though the dough might still to your fingers initially, with the process of kneading it will all come off.

Please don't think of doing something that nourishes your family as yucky dear. If you do not want to do it by hand, it is ok, just try some of the processors suggested.

Happy cooking :)

1 person likes this.