1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How do Some people pass their Time

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

How do Some people pass their Time

A few days back I went to a condolence meet, and as usual u meet so many people. Some we meet only at weddings or at funerals/condolence meets. I guess these occasions were well thought of by the ancestors, so that one catches up with relatives and friends, at these occasions.

I ha dnot shaved for many days, so was looking like a true drunk, as they show in the movies. So I went down at lunch, then shaved, wore a nice sweater, and a jacket, and harsha asked me if I was going to a wedding or what, polishing my shoes. I said many are coming , and I should look good even at condolence meetings eh !

I don’t circulate much, so not many are aware if kamal is alive or not, but they come to know here that I am still alive and kicking.Though I am loathe to go, but certain formalities have to be done, so u do it whether u like it or not. The timings are bad, evening time, so u leave all yr work and go, and it is so boring to listen to the sermon of the pandit, and then the heap of praises heaped upon the departed, at that time it looks like he was a good man, or woman. Seems no one bad dies eh !

Now the characters that I met were class. A si one character, who has one son, and he was very sorry that I don’t have a son, who will carry forward the Mahtani name, I asked him how does it matter, after I die, how does it matter, when I don’t even remember the grandfather, don’t remember him even for a day in a year ! And his son, has changed so many gurus, now he has become a veg, stays with Dad, and now poor Dad has to go veg bcs of his son, and he wants me to have one eh !

Another old time friend, slightly younger to me, we have now drifted apart, asked me buddy, where are u these days, why don’t we meet up, and have a drink and catch up with what is happening, that is his pet dialogue every time we meet. And we stay a few streets apart. I told him, buddy we meet at weddings and funerals,hopefully we might meet again at a funeral, now we have to wait and see which common relative of ours conks off for us to meet again.That shut him up.

And I met B, after a long time. He was my neighbor once, now met him after a decade or more. His son is married and in UK. So for the last 10 years every year he goes and spends a few months with him, and his family, in April May. And he has been doing this for the last 10 years. Rich guy, retired, loads of money, and I asked him what he does here, and he says eats, watches TV, reads newspapers in the morning, sleeps in the afternoon as well.

I said, how much can u watch TV, or read the papers, u have the computer, let me show u a few things so that u will keep busy, and he said , kamal I am not interested. His son calls every day , and they look forward to the call, and of the grandkid too.

I told him, I will bring my lap top to yr home, and show u how to blog, how to play scrabble and word games on Face book, which will keep u mentally occupied, rather than just sitting or sleeping, or watching some corny soaps. But he was not interested, and looking forward to April to go and meet his son.

If I had a son, I would not go and visit him every year, maybe once I n my life time that is all. He would be having his own family, and routine, and maybe wanting to take the kids to paris, or Switzerland in the summers, and there u have mom and dad coming over for months eh !

My daughter has been married for 6 years now , and we visited her once , that too bcs there was a function there , otherwise I would not have gone, for I know she is happy and well settled. And we have been invited vrery warmly by daughter and her inlaws, to come over again, been 5 years now since we last visited, but we have politely refused. And now Harsha will go for daughter is due in March, and harsha has to help with the delivery, so she will go for a month.

We both keep busy. Harsha is into her religion, reading scriptures etc, while I am busy with my brothers exports, his bunglow that I sbeing built, blogging, scrabble, that I don’t have the time to brood over things that I don’t have a son, who will carry forward my legacy, that I must hear her voice everyday, why so, we talk once or twice a week, which is enough then emails are there, we email each other, why waste money on calls that don’t come cheap either.

An d what can u talk everyday, she was fine yesterday, so I assume she will be fine today, and hopefully fine tomm too eh ! The love is in the heart, not in words that I need to hear on the phone.

And she is not worried about us,is bcs she knows both her parents are mentally busy but cheerful .She visits us for a few weeks once a year, at times twice a year, and that is fine with us.

Reminds me of another neighbor of mine , whose son is in the US,a nd these husband and wife go there once every two years, for 4 to 5 months, I wonder how the son and his wife feel, for he is not a very nice person to know, forget live with, and they are fussy vegetarians, so all the more problem there, no onions and garlic too eh !!!!!!

Coming back to the condolences, there was this moneylender plying his business, he asked me if I need any money, people were laughing after the ceremonies were over, as though they had come to a party. I did not find it in good taste, but well.

And the pandit bored me to death, so I fell asleep, so fast asleep, that I had to be nudged by my friend sitting next to me, saying don’t snore ! And I sat on the floor, though a few wellwishers came to tell me, uncle u can sit on the chairs, and I glared at him. How dare he call a young chap like me old, budda hoga uska baap .

And we sindhis have the 12th day ceremonie, whereby u invite close relatives and friends for lunch. These people preponed it on the 5th day, every one wants things to be expedited eh ! Food is damn good, arranged from the caterer, different from the wedding food, few dishes but damn good ones, like pakodas, fried papads, bhoondi ki dahi, besides the pulav, rice, rotis and a few veggies.

I love the food so much, that I wish I am invited to more of such lunches, but for that people will have to die soon and fast. I told this to someone, andhe was horrified, but well they say don’t always say the truth, it can be bitter at times. Well I cant help myself, if the food is good, it is good, and I need to say it.

So now many know kamal is alive and kicking in 2012, which is good in a way, I am reborn.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Honestly speaking I see no difference
    Some people turn to GOD
    Some turn to Alcholol
    Both ways life is being guided by SPIRITS !!!!!
    Full form of ABCDEFG
    A Boy Can Do Everything For a Girl
    The reverse of GFEDCBA
    Girl Forgets Everything Done $Catches New Boy Again !!!

Specially dedicated to all Married People

We are all in the same game, just different levels.
    Dealing with the same Hell, just different Devils !!!

After marriage husband saved wife’s number as “ Mere Charnon ki Dasi “
    After 5 years he rectified it as “ Mere pranon ki Pyasi “ !!!!!!

When Dev Anand, Shammi Kapoor, Jagjit Singh died, they played the video of their works on TV
    Wonder what will happen when Sunny Leone Dies !!!!!

1 person likes this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    That was real funny one..hahaha
    So by visiting this condolence meet people come to know that you are alive. And your fans here will come to know that you are alive if we see your blogs...What a way Kamalji to let people know that you are alive...hehehe

Mine is the opposite story on the kids. As you know I have only son and no DD they tell me you should have a DD so that when you are sad and feeling low you can share it with her and she will have a soft corner and will console you well. I tell them why boy don't have heart they don't understand mother's feelings??? My son can understand me much better then his dad...hahaha and I see those females grumbling and go away quitely thinking it is no use speaking to this female...hahaha

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,

Well we have to be happy with as many kids god gives us, i asked for me, got two, they were girls, simple as that.
    Today i dont need a son to feed me, i have enough, i dont need him to take care of me, i am taking good care of myself.HAHA

And as u rightly said, yr son understands u as well, he too has a heart, and i am sure, the ladies go away feel sad they could not trouble u enough.HAHA.You give them good and proper back eh !

Regards

kamal

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Kamalji..
    so you enjoy the party they throw on the 12th day of the funeral.. I know lots of people who will not eat but only attend.. in bengalis (my in laws are bengalis) they have non veg on 13th day and invariably there is good attendance!!..
    Its funny how people remark about how many kids you have .. no son. no duaghter...etc etc how does it matter to them???.. I have only 1 kid.. a son.. and I hope and pray that never a day comes when I have to depend on him.. I love your attitude about visiting children.. its best we have our own lives and they have theirs.. this way you don't give tension to the children..
    jokes were good
    Kerman

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,

Interesting observations. But Kamalji, what exactly do you have against vegetarian parents visiting their (probably) vegetarian sons/daughters? I agree they may be intruding on their children's holiday plans or getting on the dil's nerves. But vegetarian????? :spin

Really appreciate your thoughts Kamalji on giving the younger generation their space and allowing them to lead their own lives. Liked your alphabets and reverse alphabets too. :)

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

I thought I had responded to this post and just realised I have not - I am either day dreaming or just passing time assuming I have answered! Made an interestuing read Kamalji. Interesting characters Kamalji - I wish people would stop and appreciate the goodness of the departed soul and have some kind words for one another.

Anyways my intent to stop by is to Congratulate you and HarshaJi - You will make wonderful grandparents and that child will be so lucky to be pampered by you. I hear people enjoy being grandparents and I can see you enveloped in that joy! That was such a nice news that stood out for me in your whole blog :)

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kelly,

Well we have to eat kelly, otherwise the host will feel bad, and so will the spirit!!!!!. So i am forced to eat.HAHA

Non veg on the 13th day eh ! And i am sure they must be srving Hilsa Fish, their favourite, as it is mine.

Yes u are right, how does it matter who has or not have a son. Yes again, why depend on the kids, why not make sure u dont need anyone's help, keep the house and some money so u dont put yr hand out in front of yr kids .And yes, let them vacation whereever they want, we can be in touch always, thru video calls.

Regards

kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Vegetarian ? HAHA. Well just that the son who was a veg, i assume now he is a nonveg, and these parents are pure veggies, so well !!!

i too may have to go to indonesia, but when they have the birth ceremoney, which is on the 6th day or the 40th, now here i have to go, given to myslef' i would not like to go.Since all of them keep coming here, it saves me money to not go there.And yest i was videchatting with her first time on yahoo messenger, and it was wonderful as though she is in front of me.So why go eh , if we all can see and chat with her.

Regards

kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

u pass yr time well by writing wonderful posts, so dont feel guilty.that is why i press the like, to come to know that i have read the post or not, sometimes we all forget.HAHA

Just pray for a healthy child, be it a boy or a girl, it does not matter to us.Thank u for yr kidn wishes and good words, will keep u in touch .

thank u so much.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  10. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Isn't it true that for a good writer, even a small incident(a funeral) can act as an inspiration to write a blog :)
    I like to disagree with your view about parents visiting children often. I would love family/relatives to visit/stay with us all the time, most apartments/homes come with atleast 2 rooms, so no one is going to step on the other's shoes. Small compromises like 'satvik' food is worth it for the lovely company and cheer :)