1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How Do Kids Have Time To Play :))

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Jan 3, 2018.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My LO is enrolled in kindergarten in Montessori.She has homework every day and it takes me literally half hour of her crying to make her do two pages of homework.The. She eats her dinner,plays and off to bed.

Just generally asking...I see so many kids above age 7 and 8 play all evening even till 8 in my community and then go home during summers..apart from that they should be having classes.How do they get to play so much and then when they have time for homework and other stuff?

Why am asking is ..r studies in school so easy?

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

My kid is in the age range you have mentioned. Yes, he has other classes n homework but he tries to get out to play everyday. It's a very important task of the day for him, everyday. Or he may get upset about missing it.

On the days he has classes, he manages the play time before or/ and after the classes. The same applies for homework too.

They play for some extra time during non-school nights.

Despite all their school n other work, I would probably say it's about time management. The same goes with his friends in similar ages too.

You n your child will learn the tricks n master this by that time he/ she comes to that age as they would want to be out to play along with their friends as well, so they will listen to you faster. :number_one:

3. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Kids who are 7 or 8 are in elementary school and most typically go to bed slightly later than the average kindergartner.
    That gives them more time for homework.

I think outside play is very important for kids especially in this era of Internet and gaming. We try to send our son out to play for at least half an hour even when he has his exams, except during the difficult ones.

This motivates him to finish his homework and studying quickly so that he can go out to play.

You can try telling your DD that she can play with her friends or toys if she finishes homework quickly.

4. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Is she in pure montessori, i am asking because montessori schools have almost no homework as per their curriculum. they have very lil writing, everything is taught in a practical environment where the kid observes and learns every concept of language, numericals and environmental science.
    This is their concept till upper kg. there are few institutions which imbibe mont curriculum along with theirs where the concept of homework comes. my daughter is 5yrs old and is in ukg. she gets abt 3-4pages of homework on daily basis and weekends are generally free with no homework or with just one page HW.
    How do u plan the day after ur lil one comes back from school?
    give her time to relax, eat, play, watch tv before u sit with HW. make a dedicated time table where you both stick to it.
    my daughter comes back from school at 1:30, she has her lunch till 2:30 and and another half hr she just plays with her toys in her room. we both sit to do the HW at 3pm and its study time till 4pm. at 5pm we go out for cycling, park and return home by 7pm.
    we stick to it religiously and on weekends we see that we still have 30min to 1hr study time.
    bye!
    sudha

anika987 likes this.
  5. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

My elder daughter is in kg.i take her to park 5 days a week,(play area of our community).other 2 days she goes to music class so she can't go to park those 2 days. it she enjoys a lot in park.she can play for 1 hr after which we come back.she ll do homework (even if she doesn't have school home work I make her study for 1/2 to 1 hr).
    Later she ll play inside home while I prepare dinner.ill make her sleep atleast by 9.30.
    So that next day she ll not be too fussy

Play s a very important activity for kids.it makes them creative,art of sharing,learning experience,more attentive.i think each child should play daily for 1 to 1 and half hrs daily.

Plan your activities according to that

6. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

my son used to sleep for 12 to 14 hrs when he was in kg. Now he is 9 yrs old. his sleeping time is reduced to 9 hrs a day. Few years before, daily I would check the hw to completed and ake him. That took quite a lot of time, but now he checks hw and completes it. feeding time is reduced now. As he grows up ,he will be occupied with few more activities. As kids grow they will also learn time management to an extent.